Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Something Else (leave a comment!)

Votes: 32 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Suppose... just suppose... we were to do a version of Traveller set in a historical time period.

What periods would you like us to visit - and why?

I don't think it would be Traveller anymore if you put it in a Historical Setting.
But if you really must do so, then I would go with "Pirates in the Age of Sail" because of ships and ... well ... pirates.

Last edited:
All of them plus a few more...
I have used the Traveller rules a few times for historical games - roman, colonial, wild west, first world war, mongol horde.

What do The Wild West, Pirates in the Age of Sail, Sharpe, and Vikings all have in common?

Travelling...

Pirates, for fairly obvious reasons I guess.

Thing is, Traveller could actually be used as a universal system - every new planet they visit could be a facsimile for a different historical setting - but you really want an opportunity to have characters owning or operating some sort of vessel to get the most of the experience. You don’t get to design ships as a cowboy. Vikings perhaps....

Ancient Rome and/or Ancient Greece. How would a small crew from a crashed ship deal with Roman Legions at the height of power of the roman empire. Or, what would they do in Ancient Greece meeting the Athenians and the Spartans and getting caught up in a war with the Persian Empire!?

Suppose... just suppose... we were to do a version of Traveller set in a historical time period.

What periods would you like us to visit - and why?
I vote Pirates in the Time of sail & napoleonic (sharpe) both sit nicely together in the same time frames, and sit nicely with the way traveller fits together as a game.
But won’t they clash a little with the pirate game range you have going already??

The Traveller game mechanisms feel dry, which appears to work for science fiction, possibly for a modernish setting.

The problem being, no one is that keen in living in the present.

I suspect that you want to avoid a totally fantasy setting, hence the historical aspect, and apparently with a military tinge.

I don't know what would take off, as these seem a little fringe; science fiction and fantasy seem to have an enduring interest.

If I had to guess, steampunk, which would be far enough away to make fun of the society, and close enough to allow the creation of weird science.

Personally I wouldn't call it Traveller anymore, but .... based on Traveller-system.

Pirates in Age of Sails. Indo-Chinees archipelago (now Indonesia) would be a nice focus, opposing always pirates in the Caribbean.

Napoleonic I'd guess as that would offer a lot of scope for expansion and a few alternative histories if you advanced it a few years. There's enough weaponry around to keep the militarists happy, plenty of exploration available, expansion of the British Empire following the loss of the American colonies and by the end of Napoleon in 1815 you're starting to see the early Industrial Revolution.

Give it a few years and you've steam trains along with Mr Babbage's engine, so some steampunk potential as well.

Seems like a dead-end for reasons others have noted. Most of the ideas in the list have been done, so to deliver a game worth playing you'd have to reframe it to make interesting.

It might be interesting to do "Dawn Of Man" or something around early migratory patterns and early cities and trade. Another might take Adrian Tchaikovsky's premise that species other than humans are in competition to become sophonts and how that goes . . . maybe these ideas are combined . . .

Now that I think of it, you have a perfect sandbox to try out these concepts within the Third Imperium setting itself, by having cut off worlds, slowly reindustrializing.

Which allows you to play test them.

Hello,

I say Napoleon 100% because all the other themes have already been covered too many times and I don't think I've ever seen the Napoleonic period treated before.
There are certainly some great things to be done on this theme, I can't wait to see it.

Ancient Rome and/or Ancient Greece. How would a small crew from a crashed ship deal with Roman Legions at the height of power of the roman empire. Or, what would they do in Ancient Greece meeting the Athenians and the Spartans and getting caught up in a war with the Persian Empire!?
Yes, something like the Argonauts would work for me.

Back