This is Free Trader Beowulf: Errata

Geir

Emperor Mongoose
Loving this book so far. Other than the "Irish Tubbs controversary" only noticed one typo to this point:

p. 70: second column "The Keiths, FASA and GDW were nott" not

p. 78 start of the first full paragraph "although miniatures" - capitalise Although

(yes, reading in starts and fits - fits of nostalgia, perhaps - not trying to inflate my post count be spreading these out, just too disorganized to keep notes today)

I don't know whether to categorise this as a nit, fit, or snit:

p. 79: "Paranoia Press' work on The Beyond and the Vanguard Reaches... which is how the sectors exist today."

I clobbered those sectors again with the Spinward Extents in 2022. Not trying to write myself into the book, just being pedantic.

p. 206: GURPS appears once as 'GURPs'

Outside back cover: "did GDW decided" should be "did GDW decide" (noted elsewhere); also seeing the dash in "science-fiction" feels odd

(part fixed)

Last edited:
p. 107, middle of the middle paragraph on the right: "...DGP on surveying a world,u and also..." that "u" snuck in there somehow.

p. 115: last paragraph: "DGP received their Traveller license in 198 but..."
I'm guessing 1985 is correct and not the fifth year of the rule of Septimius Severus (wrong Imperium, that).

Re-post from other thread

The dead give away is the title of the chapter in LBB:2 - Experience :)

As I said, there is no XP point system and no levels (which is how I would word it), but there is and always has been a way to develop your character. In CT it was no faster than character generation, and I can guarantee you it was used.

So on page 28 I would change it to "no experience points or levels" (those players claiming there was no experience in Traveller obviously couldn't read the section in LBB:2

Page 30 (pdf 31)"Space Quest also allowed characters
to gain and improve skills with experience, something not possible in
Traveller" is factually incorrect and reinforces mistaken beliefs about the game and rules.

page 31 "
That began with Mike Ferguson’s two-part article ‘The
Experienced Traveller’ in White Dwarf #9 (October/November 1978)
and #10 (December 1978/January 1979), an early rebellion against
Traveller’s lack of an experience system."
Again promoting a mistaken belief - Traveller had an experience system, it lacked an XP system.
pqge 34 "The system would have been Traveller-based, with its classless,
experienceless system." XP-less system, Traveller has an experience chapter.

The same claim again on page 122 - "
characters could now gain experience during play.
(Whether classic Traveller’s lack of experience rules made logical
sense or not, it definitely went against the expectations of the gaming
field by 1987.)" - again factually incorrect

You imply HG was first in this bit: page 43 (pdf 44)

However simultaneous with the publication of High Guard, GDW
was also taking the first, tentative steps to develop (and publish) a
universe all their own.p/quote]

The quote in LBB:4 1978
Traveller assumes a remote centralized government (referred to in this volume as
the Imperium), possessed of great industrial and technological might, but unable,
due to the sheer distances and travel times involved, to exert total control at all
levels everywhere within its star-spanning realm.
On the frontiers, extensive home
rule provisions allow planetary populations to choose their own forms of government,
raise and maintain armed forces for local security, pass and enforce laws
governing local conduct, and regulate (within limits) commerce. Defense of the
frontier is mostly provided by local indigenous forces, stiffened by scattered
lmperial naval bases manned by small but extremely sophisticated forces.
Conflicting
local interests often settle their differences by force of arms, with lmperial
forces looking quietly the other way, unable to effectively intervene as a police
force in any but the most wide-spread of conflicts without jeopardizing their
primary mission of the defense of the realm. Only when local conflicts threaten
either the security or the economy of the area do lmperial forces take an active
hand, and then it is with speed and overwhelming force.

This to me shows they had the Imperial setting in their mind to publish as far back as 1978.

!979 brought us A:1 Kinunir which detailed the Imperium as a setting in broad (and later to be retconned) strokes,
LBB:5 rephrases the setting mentioned in LBB:4, Supplement 3 gives us the Spinward marches and a description of the Imperium (which immediately had me thinking about Foundation and Gibbon's History of the decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Imperium: The lrmperium is a strong interstellar government encompassing 281
subsectors and approximately11,000 worlds. Approximately 1100 years old, it
is the third human empire to control this area, the oldest, and the strongest.
Nevertheless,
it is under strong pressure from its neighboring interstellar governments,
and does not have the strength nor the power which it once had.

The final Supplement of 1979 was Citizens of the Imperium, which other than the title only mentions Imperial twice in reference to Darth Vader :)

Why conceit instead of concept? I notice a lot of Americans use conceit when concept is a more appropriate word.

Also reposting from another thread:

Page 26:
Shannon refers to the Irish Science Fiction Writer E. C. Tubb when explaining the British spelling of Traveller. Wasn't Tubb English? Born and died in London, though there may be some Irish connection I'm not aware of?

Page 66:
Baron’s founder, James Steuard, was a member of the ‘AFC Association’, an interest group for ‘Armored Fighting Vehicles’.
Should that be 'AFV Association'? Shannon's APC is correct.

Page 70:
The Keiths, FASA and GDW were nott the only Traveller creators ...
Should be 'not'

Page 74:
Reilly Associates and Orwell Game Designs produced unlicensed accessory sheets of various times ...
should be 'various types' or perhaps 'at various times'?

Page 77:
By the start of 1983, they would not only lost the Traveller license ...
should be 'lose'?

Games Workshop had worked with Bryan Anshell
Brian Ansell

Page: 105:
Then then GDW began developing the universe of the Third Imperium
'then' repeated

Page 110:
DGP, who had appeared two years as another of GDW’s many Traveller licensees,
should this say '... had appeared two years before ...'?

Page 115:
DGP received their Traveller license in 198 but ...
Last digit of the year is missing.

Page 119:
... despite the RPGs being largely subsidising the wargaming lines!
remove 'being'?

Page 144:
The suddenly explosion of fandom creativity
should be 'sudden'?

Last edited:
Page 54: "However, Fifth Frontier War was more just a history, as it could be used by Traveller players to determine the future of the war that their roleplaying character were then experiencing"

Pretty sure this should be "More than just a history".

Thanks Folks! I don't know how many times I've been over the book (likely at least four drafts on each chapter, plus a review of the initial edit, plus a few weeks worth of overview on the layouts), let alone Matt & Charlotte plus various beta readers. So it's really great we live in a world where other folks are able to look at the PDF before things go to press.

Here's what I sent off to Sandrine, who's did the amazing layout & art direction of the book, which should be everything up to this point. The goal was to not shift any of her layout at this point, but still address anything.

--
* PAGE 3: change

Hans Rancke

to

Hans Rancke-Madsen

* PAGE 3: Change

Jenell

To:

Jennell

* PAGE 26: change:

Irish science-fiction writer

to:

English science-fiction writer

* PAGE 28: change:

In fact, there was no possibility for skill improvement in classic Traveller. That is because Miller felt that people in life did not improve much over time, so there was no training and no experience. Traveller was not the first such game to go that way, as a few early RPGs such as Metamorphosis Alpha (1976) and even GDW’s own En Garde! had omitted experience but it was still a rarity. In fact, in those early days of the roleplaying hobby, some fans said that Traveller was not an RPG due to the lack of experience (demonstrating that the wars over what was an RPG, also an issue for En Garde!, continued onward).

to:

In fact, there was only limited, long-term skill improvement in classic Traveller. That is because Miller felt that people in life did not improve much over time. Traveller was not the first such game to go that way, as a few early RPGs such as Metamorphosis Alpha (1976) and even GDW’s own En Garde! had omitted experience entirely but it was still a rarity. In fact, in those early days of the roleplaying hobby, some fans said that Traveller was not an RPG due to its limited and constrained experience system (demonstrating that the wars over what was an RPG, also an issue for En Garde!, continued onward).

* PAGE 30: change

something not possible

to:

something largely not possible

* PAGE 31: change

lack of an experience system

to:

limited experience system

* PAGE 34: change

classless, experienceless

to:

classless, XP-less

* PAGE 41: change

first, tentative steps

to:

earliest, tentative steps

* PAGE 45: change

Then then there

to:

Then there

* PAGE 54: change

was more just a history

to:

was more than just a history

* PAGE 63: Change

Jenell

To:

Jennell

* PAGE 66: change

an interest group for 'Armored Fighting Vehicles'.

to:

an interest group for armored fighting vehicles.

* PAGE 70: change

were nott

to:

were not

* Page 74: change

of various times

to:

of various types

* PAGE 77: change

would not only lost

to:

would not only lose

* PAGE 77: change

Bryan Anshell

to:

Bryan Ansell

* PAGE 78: change

although miniatures formed

to:

Although miniatures formed

(e.g., capitalize that first word)

* PAGE 79: change

which is how the sectors exist today.

to:
which is how the sectors existed until the publication of The Spinward Extents (2022).

* PAGE 105: change

Then then GDW

to:

Then GDW

* PAGE 107: change

DGP on surveying a world,u

to:

DGP on surveying a world,

(that is, remove the extra u at the end)

* PAGE 110: change

DGP, who had appeared two years

to:

DGP, who had appeared just two years before

* PAGE 115: change

Traveller license in 198

to:

Traveller license in 1985

* PAGE 119: change

despite the RPGs being largely subsidising the wargaming lines!

to:

despite the RPGs largely subsidising the wargaming lines!

* PAGE 122: change

lack of experience rules

to:

limited experience system

* PAGE 144: change

suddenly explosion

to

sudden explosion

* PAGE 206: change

GURPs

to:

GURPS

(it's the first usage of GURPS on the page and the only one where the s isn't capitalized like it should be.)

* PAGE 216: change

that he hadd

to:

that he had

* PAGE 279: change

else they hadd

to:

else they had

* OUTSIDE BACK COVER

I actually haven't seen the outside back cover, but these were reported:

Outside back cover: "did GDW decided" should be "did GDW decide"
Outside back cover: is "xxDesigners & Dragons System History" meant to be there?
(this should be: a Designers & Dragons System History
or else the Designers & Dragons logo with System History on it, not sure what's exactly shown)

Last edited:
I am glad to have found this forum/thread. I just pre-ordered the book and was not informed that the pdf was still under development. I am sad that Mongoose is depending upon early purchasers to do their proofreading for them. But, that appears to be the state of RPG publishing these days. Now, if they can just fix the pdf so that all of the images display properly for me on my iMac and iPad. About half of them are just hinted at by a blank box where they should be.

Going to start a new post for further errata and typos found after Shannon's latest update - thanks so much Shannon for such a great book, I am engrossed in it, and thanks for being so responsive here to the feedback.

Page 171:
as his first MegaTraveller-focused issued was published...
change issued to issue

virtue by adverting that his magazine
change adverting to advertising

Page 174:
We have already met the first publication: the Desert Shield Fact Book.
I think this should reference the Gulf War Fact Book as the publication that failed to sell.

Page 176:
against Gary Gygax, who she wouldd forced out of TSR
change would to had
following the Desert Shield Fact Book fiasco.
again, I think this should reference the Gulf War Fact Book

Page 206:
the new core book and sold out of if quickly
change if to it

Page 216:
... expansion of the Gateway Domain that he hadd overviewed at QLI.
change hadd to had and overviewed to overseen

Page 220:
As the years went by, web hosting began simpler ...
change began to became

Page 244:
Terra/Sol’s publication contained strongly up through 2015
Change contained to continued

Page 263:
... such rules for androids,
change to 'such as rules for androids'

Page 279:
... unlike anything else they hadd ever previously created for the game.
Change hadd to had

Page 286:
It hass been supplemented by a line of occasional supplements.
change hass to has

And that's that, just finished my first read-through. Thoroughly enjoyed the book!

Last edited:
Page 74: "Gamelords' premiere lines were Thieves' Guild (1980) and The Free City of Haven (1981) which together compromised a Variant D&D (VD&D) game system and setting."

"Compromised" should most likely be "comprised".

Thanks again folks. This is what I just sent over to Sandrine. The errors listed by @Yatima that are not on here (which was just a few of the early ones) are already corrected in the April 19th update (which I believe also corrected the MacOS issue).

Per @ThornPlutonius, I think it's a real advantage in the modern day that publishers can produce a PDF and then collect errors before the book goes to press. A number of publishers now use this methodology. This is my first book where that's been the case, since my last major release was a decade ago.

It's not that books are being proof-read less. (Here, I had 3-10 beta readers on every chapter, and I did 3-4 editorial passes on every chapter besides that, then Matthew edited it and Charlotte proofread it, then we continued to check it and recheck it on layouts until the official PDF was produced.) Errors slip through, it's just the nature of the beast. Sometimes they're things I wrote two years ago, sometimes a correction I made at the last minute, sometimes an edit gone wrong, sometimes a layout tweak. But thanks to being able to release a PDF and then wait a bit for the print run, and thanks to kind readers being willing to report errors, we end up with final books and PDFs that are frankly cleaner than they would have been a decade ago. (So thanks once more!)

--
# Page 62: change

didnot received

to:

did not receive

# Page 73: change

own Far Futures

to:

own Far Frontiers

# Page 111: change

itself.As

to:

itself. As

[that is, the space is missing]

# Page 120: change

throne,and

to:

throne, and

[another missing space]

# Page 128:

change:

The resulted

to:

This resulted

# Page 131:

change:

it moved forward the timeline,

to:

it moved the timeline forward,

# Page 136:

change:

and there would

to:

and there would be

# Page 171:

change:

Imperium Stable

to:

Imperium Staple

# Page 172:

Let's clarify the end of the first paragraph by changing:

(July 1994), by which

to:

(July 1994). By this

[that is, we're breaking it into two sentences as a reader rightly commented the current is a little hard to understand.]

# Page 174:

Change:

Desert Shield Fact Book

to:

Gulf War Fact Book

# Page 176:

Change:

Desert Shield Fact Book

to:

Gulf War Fact Book

[yep, same as the previous one]

# Page 192:

change:

would only been

to:

had only been

# Page 204:

change:

with element

to:

with elements

# Page 205:

change:

BITS author Martin J. Dougherty

to:

BITS authors Martin J. Dougherty and Timothy Collinson

[if there's space without messing up the flow!]

# Page 215:

change:

probably looks like

to:

probably looked like

# page 216:

change:

10 2005

to:

ten 2005

[that may go against Mongoose style guide, but I agree with the reader that it's much easier to read than the two numbers together]

# Page 220:

change:

began simpler

to:

became simpler

# Page 242:

change:

had also be offering

to:

had also begun offering

# Page 244:

change:

commercial book

to:

commercial books

# Page 244:

change:

publication contained

to:

publication continued

# Page 247:

change:

Similarly, BITS’ Andy Lilly produced a trilogy of universal GM’s books,

to:

Similarly, BITS authors saw many of their little white books compiled into

# Page 263

Change:

such rules for androids

To:

such as rules for androids

# Page 282:

change:

Elemental Class

to:

Element Class

# Page 286:

change:

It hass

to:

It has

# Page 289:

change:

Elemental Class

to:

Element Class

Thanks Shannon, I can't wait to get my hands on the printed version. I've enjoyed this book so much – it's given me a deeper understanding of the game, how it was produced, why it took the directions it did in various periods and I have found the whole story deeply fascinating.

Thank you.

J

Lol, if only Mongoose had adopted this practice before printing the £100 deluxe core rule book update...

this simple change has resulted in much better books so well worth it IMHO. I'd rather have an error checked book three or more months after the pdf release that is mostly error free than opening a crisp new book and seeing "see page XX" everywhere :)

You need someone not familiar with the work to get a good proofreading done. Until it goes out to the masses. there will always be some mistakes. Until thousands of fresh eyes look at it, you won't be able to catch it all.

You need someone not familiar with the work to get a good proofreading done. Until it goes out to the masses. there will always be some mistakes. Until thousands of fresh eyes look at it, you won't be able to catch it all.
Yeah, I definitely know that I have diminishing returns on my own reads, once I stop rewriting and move on to just corrections.

Back