Starship Operator's Manual Feedback

The walkthrough keys on p. 159, p. 162, and p. 165 contain a bunch of entries that do not appear in any diagram. Perhaps that's intentional though?

Not in any Mg2nd Publication, but I'm fairly certain T5 covers it.
(That's where we got them from, after all).

Actually, T5 does NOT cover GravComm (surprisingly). There is Comm (which covers all EMS-associated transmission systems), and CommPlus (which covers Meson/Neutrino Comm systems).

It MAY mention very-short range grav-comm for wireless-sync of devices like tablet-controllers and pads to operating systems, but nothing long range for distance-communication purposes.

Actually, T5 does NOT cover GravComm (surprisingly). There is Comm (which covers all EMS-associated transmission systems), and CommPlus (which covers Meson/Neutrino Comm systems).

It MAY mention very-short range grav-comm for wireless-sync of devices like tablet-controllers and pads to operating systems, but nothing long range for distance-communication purposes.

Huh.
Rob Eaglestone was the one who did the core writing for the Comms chapter, and given his work on T5, I presumed that's where it'd come from. I do stand corrected.

It may have been something mentioned in one of the many drafts of T5 that Rob got to see, he saw a lot of stuff that has been cut from the publicly available T5 books.

Huh.
Rob Eaglestone was the one who did the core writing for the Comms chapter, and given his work on T5, I presumed that's where it'd come from. I do stand corrected.

ADDENDUM: I should add a note of clarification: T5 DOES include both Densitometers (TL10) and Grav Sensors (TL13) - (I personally prefer the term "Gravitometer") under the SENSORS section. Densitometers are "Planetary Range" Sensors (Range=50km standard), and Grav Sensors are "Space Range" Sensors (Range=2 ls standard). And Grav Sensors are specifically noted as being able to detect operating gravitic devices and M-Drives at Space Ranges. So the ability to detect gravity, pseudo-gravity, and variations in it at range can certainly be accomplished.

That is why I am confused as to why a dedicated GravComm system of some sort is not detailed anywhere (either wave-modulated or pulse-coded). It certainly should be do-able.

If you can radiate gravitational waves you have a mechanism for removing waste heat
(I am not giving up on this)

Perhaps you can handwave this as a reason for no standard GravComms - waste heat removal from spacecraft creates enough background "static" and interference that GravComms do not produce a nice clean signal at the receiver (in other words - doable but not practical).

Last edited:
Perhaps you can handwave this as a reason for no standard GravComms - waste heat removal from spacecraft creates enough background "static" and interference that GravComms do not produce a nice clean signal at the receiver (in other words - doable but not practical).
Yeah, because thermodynamics... heat is, like, entropy and entropy does not convey information... it's disorderly (hand waves in large circular pattern). Well at least if it gets Sigtrygg to accept a method to explain away the need for radiators, it's worth waving...

Umm, no, heat and entropy are different things.

2nd law
1715111962351.png
S is entropy, Q is heat energy, T is temperature
The heat radiated from a cooling radiator can be used as a communication device. All you need to do is change the coolant flow rate to vary the amount of heat radiated and you can do binary signals no problem.

The point remains you have to remove waste heat from the ship, this requires a radiation of something. It can be EM radiation, gravitic radiation, particulate radiation (chuck hot stuff out of the ship).

If there is a handwaved mechanism for gravitics to radiate away gravitational energy then there's your waste heat removed.

Note it may be very difficult to detect this depending on the gravitic coupling of the gravitic device.

But it does open up the possibility of a JTAS article or two about introducing gravitc heat sinks, militarising them for stealth, and the sensor war between gravitic heat sinks and gravitic sensors.

The stealth in space everyone appears to crave (not me) with stealth coating this, stealth hull that. There is no stealth in space unless you can hide waste heat in a difficult to detect way.

Last edited:
You do know I was the person who came up with the concept of jump particles?

And they are now canonical for the setting in a way that Annic Nova never was - see Great Rift and High Guard.

What about thermodynamics?
What are jump particles? Is there a source or reference for this?

Umm, no, heat and entropy are different things.

2nd law
View attachment 1872
S is entropy, Q is heat energy, T is temperature
The heat radiated from a cooling radiator can be used as a communication device. All you need to do is change the coolant flow rate to vary the amount of heat radiated and you can do binary signals no problem.

The point remains you have to remove waste heat from the ship, this requires a radiation of something. It can be EM radiation, gravitic radiation, particulate radiation (chuck hot stuff out of the ship).

If there is a handwaved mechanism for gravitics to radiate away gravitational energy then there's your waste heat removed.

Note it may be very difficult to detect this depending on the gravitic coupling of the gravitic device.

But it does open up the possibility of a JTAS article or two about introducing gravitc heat sinks, militarising them for stealth, and the sensor war between gravitic heat sinks and gravitic sensors.

The stealth in space everyone appears to crave (not me) with stealth coating this, stealth hull that. There is no stealth in space unless you can hide waste heat in a difficult to detect way.
I am on it! Grav sensors are a key component to the Weird Charted Space (my milieu which has highly unpredictable jumpspace phenomena)

What are jump particles? Is there a source or reference for this?
Yes, in T5.

Page 131 Book 2

A Collector is an array of specialized materials that slowly absorb exotic particles and releases them in a burst of energy which can power interstellar drives.

page 133

The Collector is a specialized alternate Power Source.
It slowly absorbs energy and releases it in a burst which can fuel interstellar drives.
The Collector uses a large external surface area to slowly absorb exotic particles; its unique structure releases energy in a powerful burst to support the high energy requirements of interstellar drives.

I wish I had not used the word particle when I first mentioned the idea on CotI years ago, but excitation of a quantum field confuses a lot of people :)

Basically if quantum fields are still a thing in the Traveller universe (and MWMs writings lead me to believe they are see T5 and AotI) the jump particle is an excitation of the jump (quantum) field. I originally postulated that they could only be harvested in the vicinity of stars, but it appears they now work in empty hexes too, which makes some sort of sense since quantum fields permeate all of spacetime.

Last edited:
Yes, in T5.

Page 131 Book 2

A Collector is an array of specialized materials that slowly absorb exotic particles and releases them in a burst of energy which can power interstellar drives.

page 133

The Collector is a specialized alternate Power Source.
It slowly absorbs energy and releases it in a burst which can fuel interstellar drives.
The Collector uses a large external surface area to slowly absorb exotic particles; its unique structure releases energy in a powerful burst to support the high energy requirements of interstellar drives.

I wish I had not used the word particle when I first mentioned the idea on CotI years ago, but excitation of a quantum field confuses a lot of people :)

Basically if quantum fields are still a thing in the Traveller universe (and MWMs writings lead me to believe they are see T5 and AotI) the jump particle is an excitation of the jump (quantum) field. I originally postulated that they could only be harvested in the vicinity of stars, but it appears they now work in empty hexes too, which makes some sort of sense since quantum fields permeate all of spacetime.
Got it. I did not make the connection between “exotic particles” and “jump particles”

A better description would be excitation in an exotic quantum fields that generates the ability to interact with jump space...

exotic jump particle then became exotic particle.

been lurking and reading the feedback .. interesting stuff ... and it, along with wanting more information about Jump Masking as I want the potential for a target destination to be masked should be a part of my game , sold me a copy of T5 slipcase.

I would have got it eventually in my J6 'damn the costs better-half, you only live once and this one is nearing the home stretch and it is cheaper than motorcycles, vintage guitars, and 20 something year olds with mental issues and keeps me at home' Travelling through the vast non(pre) Mongoose Traveller material universe

but this book and the discussion referencing it bumped it to the head of the line.

The idea began on CotI many years ago when yet again someone suggested a black globe can poser a jump (HG80), not noticing the bit that says you still need jump fuel. People argued for a bit about what the hydrogen is used for (as if they had never read MWM's jump space article) and it always came down to the Annic Nova doesn't meed hydrogem
That kicks off another round of arguments about the natire of the Annic Nova - again neglecting to read the original adventure which suggested Annic Nova was just one example of a class of ship that could be encountered in a variety of settings.

So I suggested collectors gathered exotic particles from stars, and that a fusion reactor could generate these same exotic particles (which is why fission reactors won't work)

QFT - every particle in the standard model is an excitation of a field

Stars can affect objects in jump space so they must somehow be coupled with jump space.

This must be the jump field. A vibration/excitation in the jump field results in a "jump particle"

A collector is based on the same tech as the jump cable network in a hull, just finer and bigger so it can gather these exotic waves/particles (add a photovoltaic and you can get electricity at the same time).

14. Commons (p.162) While all three ships are referenced in the table, with ship specific items for both Animal and Empress, only Suleiman has an accompanying image.

And according to both High Guard and p.135-136 in this book, Suleiman scouts don’t have a common area (which is referenced in the office walkthrough on p.144-145

Back