Starship Operator's Manual Feedback

Questions.

Whatever happened to superdense armour?

That had been one of my questions going all the way back to Mongoose 1st edition.

All of the Armour material descriptions used in SOM follow the T5.10 armour material types very closely at the stated TLs (See T5.10 Book 2, p. 74: Plate, Shell, and Polymer). In T5.10 Book 2, however, Superdense (NOT Bonded) has been bumped up to TL14 compared to prior Traveller editions, and "Bonded Superdense" does not appear on the chart (presumably because it would be considered one of the "Stage-Improvements" of Superdense at higher TL).

Note that in SOM, though the section header on p.13 says "BONDED SUPERDENSE", it seems that in the descriptive text of the paragraph the names of the various grades of "Bonded Superdense" by TL are rendered:

Grades of Bonded Superdense
  • TL13 - Lite Metal
  • TL14 - "Superdense" (proper)
  • TL15 - VLite Metal (= "Very Light Metal")
  • TL16 - "Hullmetal" or "Molecular Bonded" (= "Bonded Superdense (proper)")
So it would seem that straight run-of-the-mill old-fashioned Superdense is TL14, and Bonded Superdense "proper" (= Molecular Bonded) is TL16.

This also means that the TL14 base-material would probably be better named with its "base-name" changed to just "Superdense", letting the "Bonded" simply be a progressive development of the material.

Last edited:
And superdense is used in the construction of neutrino sensors.

Good point. It does mention that the technology was used earlier in other applications (like building construction) before armour, so perhaps an early version between "dense" (TL10, under crystaliron) and Early Superdense (TL13 - "litemetal"), but that still seems like a stretch.

some cheap seats non-constructive feedback in case it it is wanted

I do have to say what a wonderful book this has been from the viewpoint of someone who is new to the game. It has really made the visualization and in some ways the actual gameplay much easier. The release was perfect timing for after some aborted first attempts (working through personal tweaks to trade to better reflect the setting, megacorp dominated trade, over the basic trade rules for free trading) and running a solo Yankee Trader game to try to get into the swing of the gameplay/various rules, I decided to drop my first adventure into the mix rather than number crunching trade numbers or running random encounters in and out of star systems. Decided to go with a Alien mashup of a Derelict adventure I found in Freelance Traveller. First off they had to find the alien ship once they took the big contract. The chapter on sensors was very helpful. Again well done Mongoose!

I am delighted I have found so little to disagree with :)
the 14 vs 13.5 argument will continue until the heat death of the universe
I can shut up about lanthanum in hull grids now but only if Condottiere accepts it is used in jump coils as well :)
the technobabble handwavium doesn't take liberties

but since I mention the heat death of the universe, there still has to be a mechanism for removing waste heat

if the gravitic heat sink is accepted it opens up the possibility of stealth ships the way everyone appears to want them - difficult to spot rather than black globes.

The basic component of all gravitic applications is the
gravitic module, a tiny device that can couple itself to
nearby gravity fields
and, through them, apply force
against the mass generating the field. There are
many variations on the mechanism, although they all
exploit how gravity and energy work at extremely tiny
distances, as explained by the Consolidated Theory of
Gravity, or Lida Agidu Migekka in Vilani

If the grav module is coupled with a gravity field then it could be a two way process. The grav module is taking energy from its coupled field but can also transfer energy to its coupled field.

If the grav module is coupled with a gravity field then it could be a two way process. The grav module is taking energy from its coupled field but can also transfer energy to its coupled field.

But of course, that's how you get conservation of momentum after all. It's seldom talked about because for M-Drives, most of the time they're coupled to stars and planets and therefore the effect of the ship's "thrusting" against them is practically imperceptible.

The original manuscript had a few paragraphs in the artificial gravity section explaining how, when someone jumps inside a starship, the ship itself slightly deviates from its course and then seemingly arcs back to the original position, because the force between objects within the ship's internal gravity field and the gravity generators is mutual, as per Newton's Third (or, if you are a cultured individual and not some Solomani rabble, Agaashir’s Law of Reciprocal Motion).

I'm quite happy that you do seem to like the majority of the book. You are a... hard customer (I don't mean this pejoratively!), so that means we've cleared a high bar.

As for Thermodynamics, I'll be a sly one and let Adrian address that one. :p

I was a bit apprehensive when the book was announced - how much canon would be rewritten, how bad would the retcons be.
I am very happy that, to me, you have achieved the almost impossible, producing a book that incorporates a lot of almost incompatible handwavium and made it consistent.
I like the way you have handled gravitics, damper technology, jump drive and those are the key technologies TL12+ IMHO.

So get thermodynamics handwaved right and I will be a very very satisfied customer. :)

I'll even forgive the canonisation of ion weapons (which I will continue to call EM pulse guns but that's just me :))

I am delighted I have found so little to disagree with :)

the technobabble handwavium doesn't take liberties

Seconded. Well done. 👍

but since I mention the heat death of the universe, there still has to be a mechanism for removing waste heat

if the gravitic heat sink is accepted it opens up the possibility of stealth ships the way everyone appears to want them - difficult to spot rather than black globes.

"The basic component of all gravitic applications is the gravitic module, a tiny device that can couple itself to nearby gravity fields and, through them, apply force against the mass generating the field. There are many variations on the mechanism, although they all exploit how gravity and energy work at extremely tiny distances, as explained by the Consolidated Theory of Gravity, or Lida Agidu Migekka in Vilani."

** THIS ** 👍👍

Errata?
page 195
"Nuclear dampers too shortranged
and weak for ship defence are also used in
antiradiation treatments in well-stocked TL10 medical
bays."
Shouldn't that be TL12?

Probably depends on the diameter of the nearest gravitational well, and the sensitivity of the gravitational generator.

^ speaking of. I was interested to see how the Manual handled jumps into Jumpspace. In a couple of different ways.

In my rather short time and experience playing Traveller as I learn the ropes of the game I've made extensive use of both Travellermap.com and the wonderful Traveller Tools II website yet was quick to notice they have very different calculations of 100D. One took into account the (far greater) 100D of the star, the other just used the main planet's thus had wildly different times out to 100D. I sort of figured based on common sense and enough semi-remembered education to go with the star's diameter. Nice to see the Manuel sort of confirm that was the right thing to do.

The other thing I was curious about. Jump Masking. While I've been dancing on the head of a pin balanced keeping the wife happy (which is directly proportional to paying the bills) with buying up Mongoose Traveller books as quickly as a I can haha I'd also been snagging up the Gurps Traveller resource books (the Nobles book is a killer. Love that book) off of ebay. The first I got naturally was Far Trader that had a rather wonky ( and very unintuitive to me) chart for calculating Jump Masking. Yet unless I completely missed it, the Manual did not go there at all. I'd be curious to hear why the writers/creators of the book didn't go there and explore that topic with the book. Too much crunch for too little flavor??

(or has it been covered in some other book, one I haven't got yet? Like Matt pointed out to me when I was looking for a sector book on Corridor sector)

Not a criticism mind you, just asking more of curiosity.

Last edited:
I have a tradition of buying two at a time - more to balance out the reading than actual cost prohibitor.

If they come as a cheap bundle, that's another issue.

Other than that, tablet plus compact disc.

^ speaking of. I was interested to see how the Manual handled jumps into Jumpspace. In a couple of different ways.

In my rather short time and experience playing Traveller as I learn the ropes of the game I've made extensive use of both Travellermap.com and the wonderful Traveller Tools II website yet was quick to notice they have very different calculations of 100D. One took into account the (far greater) 100D of the star, the other just used the main planet's thus had wildly different times out to 100D. I sort of figured based on common sense and enough semi-remembered education to go with the star's diameter. Nice to see the Manuel sort of confirm that was the right thing to do.

The other thing I was curious about. Jump Masking. While I've been dancing on the head of a pin balanced keeping the wife happy (which is directly proportional to paying the bills) with buying up Mongoose Traveller books as quickly as a I can haha I'd also been snagging up the Gurps Traveller resource books (the Nobles book is a killer. Love that book) off of ebay. The first I got naturally was Far Trader that had a rather wonky ( and very unintuitive to me) chart for calculating Jump Masking. Yet unless I completely missed it, the Manual did not go there at all. I'd be curious to hear why the writers/creators of the book didn't go there and explore that topic with the book. Too much crunch for too little flavor??

(or has it been covered in some other book, one I haven't got yet? Like Matt pointed out to me when I was looking for a sector book on Corridor sector)

Not a criticism mind you, just asking more of curiosity.

Masking is definitely a thing. I believe it was first explicitly introduced by GURPS: Traveller (I may be misremembering), but it is definitely in T5, so Marc Miller definitely considers it as canonical.

Basically, when Classic Traveller first came out, there were no rules for star system generation, just world generation. So all 100-D limit calculations were based off of planetary diameters in the UWPs. When CT Book 6: Scouts came out detailing Star System generation, now all of the bodies in a system could be detailed, all of which had 100-D limits. Of course, not every GM and campaign (or at least not every adventure) was dealing with a star system mapped to that detail, and there was not as yet canonical info on the primary star data of every system like there is currently on Traveller Map and/or the Traveler Wiki, so not every GM wanted to deal with that level of hassle, especially if they were going to have to detail it themselves from scratch for every system their Traveller-group visited. So many ignored 100-D limits for anything except the mainworld for simplicity's sake.

Jump-Masking added another level of complexity. Now one needed to be concerned about the current orbital configuration of all of the bodies in a star system at any given moment (and they are always changing), because the Jump-shadow of any one of them might be blocking the clear jumpline path to your destination (especially companion stars) and require a period of normal-space maneuvering to get you into a position from which you can get a clear line-of-sight path to your jump destination that did not intersect another body's jump-shadow. It also required a knowledge of the complete star-system configuration for any jump for which it was going to be relevant. Again, most GMs did not necessarily want to deal with this level of complexity as a matter of routine "every-time-you-jump" hassle, and so just used the 100-D planetary limit and assumed everything else was in order.

As a side note, remember that space is (obviously) 3D, so not only will potential jump-destinations actually be distributed about your ship in a spherical distribution relative to the originating system (i.e. the target system will not necessarily lie in the plane of the originating system's ecliptic), but that the orientation of the target system's ecliptic will also likewise not be orientated at the same angle as the originating system's ecliptic (i.e. the two ecliptic planes won't necessarily be parallel - they can in fact be inclined relative to one another at any angle in a 360° spherical orientation). Getting out around a "jump-masking" situation may be as simple as heading "due North" or "South" (i.e. "upward" or "downward") from the ecliptic plane on M-Drive thrust.

Having said all of this, I think all of the above creates the potential for very flavorful campaign elements and specific adventure-challenges for the GM who is willing to put in the time to do the necessary system-construction where relevant. For example, the simple "job" becomes much more complex when the party gets delayed or otherwise held up for several days or a week or more, and now the simple "quick" jump out-system to the buyer (or away from the adversary to the patron) is hampered by the system companion star whose jump-shadow has just begun to occlude the jumpline, requiring a 3-day system maneuver to get into a good jump-position. Jump-masking can also create "seasons" in a particular system when traffic from a certain direction cannot get to its destination as easily or quickly as other times, which may have commercial or strategic ramifications.

Stellar jump-shadows and masking also create some interesting local situations. For example, the Jump shadow of a Giant star is immense, yet there are some inhabited planets that orbit such stars well within the stellar 100-D limit. What is the society like on a world where outsiders need to travel 70 days by maneuver to get to your world after jump break-out due to your primary's 100-D jump-shadow? Why would anyone want to go or trade there? What trade or adventure opportunities would it create, since nobody really wants to go there?

In the end, the old Traveller principal applies: "Do-Only-As-Really-Necessary". Bring in the Shadowing and Masking when it is useful for the adventure at hand, or for a particular designed adventure plot, and skim over it when not (i.e. assume it happens in the background, give a quick description when necessary, and move on). Don't feel you have to give the nitty-gritty details of everything that happens along the way unless they are somehow meaningful to the adventure or the campaign as a whole.

In general, the highly detailed system approach and detailed shadows and masking tend to work best in a campaign of limited astrographic scope (one that will operate only over a few systems or part of a subsector), where the characters are returning to the same systems on a regular basis. A wide-raging campaign across subsectors in which players will likely only encounter most systems only once probably doesn't need that high level of detail, except where really needed for a particular adventure.

Last edited:
^^ thank YOU for the thoughtful thoughts on that. I really would like to bring that aspect into my game so I had wondered if Mongoose would with this book (or had in something I didn't have yet) go into it. Putting the hard science into some sort of easy modelling chart or formula. Abstracting it perhaps based on the size/class of the stars. Something Gurps did in Far Trader.. or tried to do but that chart in Far Trader did not make sense to me.. or worse.. it didn't feel right.. seemed wrong/incorrect to me. I might want to look at that again with fresh eyes and see now that I'm more in the Traveller groove if it clicks this time.

Interesting you mention T5. And not surprising that would have gone into it if what I've read of it is correct. More an owner's manual, love letter to the game than merely a new version of the game. Investing in that might be something I might find of great interest to further flesh out MgT where I would like to see the amp turned to 11 on some rules crunch or options Especially if the numbers/modelling are already done for us. 20-30 years I'd have jumped at challenge of trying to do a modelling myself but I've passed the point I try not to think so much. Trying to make sense of things now just hurts the head lol

:unsure: Hmmm . . . That's an interesting thought.

What are some of your thoughts about spinoff applications, and how would it differ as compared to stronger nearby-gravity-well coupling?
Well for one thing your grav plates and acceleration compensation wouldn't lose effectiveness as you move away from planets if they are coupled with the background rather than the source the m-drive is coupled with.

Otherwise the question can be asked - why are lifters/null grav modules short range, m-drives are longer range, grav plates and acceleration compensation are not range limited at all.

Range refers to distance from coupling source.

It is almost a quantum parameter

Gcq1234
effectartificial gravityliftersm-drivej-drive
range~0 (1-10m)10D1000D1-10 parsecs
heat dissipationkWMWGWTW

Hmm, the jump drive could be a Gravitational coupling quantum number 4 effect...

edited to add jump drive

Last edited:
Otherwise the question can be asked - why are lifters/null grav modules short range, m-drives are longer range, grav plates and acceleration compensation are not range limited at all.

Range refers to distance from coupling source.

It is almost a quantum parameter

Gcq1234
effectartificial gravityliftersm-drivej-drive
range~0 (1-10m)10D1000D1-10 parsecs
heat dissipationkWMWGWTW

Hmm, the jump drive could be a Gravitational coupling quantum number 4 effect...

edited to add jump drive

I think you might want to consider adding in another parameter. Explicity in T5, and alluded to in MgT2-SOM, p.80 (Grav Vehicle sidebar), G-Drives are a subset of M-Drives that have slightly different performance characteristics. In T5, Lifters have 1D range, G-Drives have 10D range, and M-Drives have 1000D range (and G-Drives were self-powered with T5's Fusion+ modules, which are more like the MgT2-SOM Fusion Cells, unlike the M-Drive which was powered by the main Power Plant).

So perhaps:

Gcq12345
EffectPseudo-gravity/
artificial gravity
Lifters
(null-grav)
G-DriveM-DriveJ-Drive
Range~0 (1-10m)1D10D1000D1-10 parsecs
Heat DissipationkWkW-MWMW-GWGWTW

If we can now have gravitic comms . . .

I haven't yet read all of the book, but now that they have been explicitly alluded to in the book (and I have advocated for them for a long time), are there any rules/tables and details for a GravComm Transceiver? (i.e. Size/volume of dedicated Transceiver set, effective transmission range, effective modulatable communication or on-off transmission code methods only, significantly affected by grav-"static" or "quantum-fluctuations", etc.)?

Back