Official / Unofficial Chthonian Stars for Mongoose Traveller

Vargrz

Mongoose
So I have a hardcopy of Chthonian Stars for Mongoose's version of Traveller. It seems like a good addition to my Traveller library.

First: I am curious if any other Traveller resources for Chthonian Stars are being considered by the powers that be at Mongoose.

Second: Will Wildfire produce anything more for Traveller or will it now only be "The Void."

Lastly: Has anyone done anything Unofficial that fits with Chthonian Stars?

It is really a shame this didn't work out between Mongoose and Wildfire. I think it would have proved to be a popular offshoot!

Vargrz said:
So I have a hardcopy of Chthonian Stars for Mongoose's version of Traveller. It seems like a good addition to my Traveller library.
Cool, I might in the near future still order me a dead-tree copy.
First: I am curious if any other Traveller resources for Chthonian Stars are being considered by the powers that be at Mongoose.
Second: Will Wildfire produce anything more for Traveller or will it now only be "The Void."
IIR, from everything said by either Matt @ Mongoose or the guys at Wildfire:
- Mongoose is not planning anything for Chthonian Stars, the two companies have parted ways.
- Even with the break, there was to be a second book under Traveller, a monster book and then a restart the line from the beginning with many books, all under a new mechanic and called "Into the Void". I don't know if that monster book is ever going to come out.

It is really a shame this didn't work out between Mongoose and Wildfire. I think it would have proved to be a popular offshoot!
Agreed. Funny thing - the guy who is one of Mongoose's US staffers (and does most of their convention booths) is one of the major players at Wildfire. He even had some copes of the book in the Mongoose booth (behind the table not for sale). Definately an interesting relationship there.

So where did you get the hard copy version? Wildfire don't appear to be spreading the news much regarding its availability...

I played this at Neon Con 2 years running (Unfortunately Neon Con is no more :cry: ) and my son and I really enjoyed it. So I think your right, this is a great addition to the Traveller library, and I am saddened that they parted ways with Mongoose. At least the guy running it was one of, if not THE, authors for this, so I have how the atmosphere is meant to be delivered firmly set in my mind.

I got my hardcopy through someone who offered it to me post GenCon. If he is reading this, I want to again extend my sincerest thanks! I am leaving his name out so as he is not bugged by people seeking copies. I have looked and looked and have not seen them offered anywhere since. I had been asking people about the hardback copy for over a year! Maybe I was offered one to stop me from asking anymore!

I know they exist because I have one and have see a photo from GenCon with a few sitting on a rack with other books. I would have to say that the book is a real treat, and not just because it is apparently as rare as artifacts left by the Ancients!

The book is very well organized and thought out. If they print it, people will buy it! Heck, I'd get another copy to loan to people. If they produce the other originally planned books for Traveller, I would certainly buy them!

I'm not saying I'd shun "The Void," but I like the Mongoose Traveller mechanics very much and think it works great for low tech space horror.

When I started this post I was hoping that someone who had been playing might share anything they had generated, as well as hoping to stir up discussion about Chthonian Stars for Traveller.

I guess the interest in Chthonian Stars is limited to a very small group.

That is too bad, but not totally surprising. With the significant product delays, and indications that this will be the only Traveller based resource for the game, I'm glad anyone responded at all.

If I put anything together worth sharing I post something. I hope others will do the same...

The game is very niche. Any sale of the book was done only at GenCon. Wildfire doesn't want to sell print on demand copies for some reason. They haven't updated their site since February. The owners have real jobs outside of Wildfire. The book will remain a rare one.

Well, I guess I'll consider myself lucky to have gotten the printed book!

I really don't do well with pdf so having the book is a big deal to me.

I wonder how big the print run was. Does anybody on this forum have the answer? If so, please chime in.

Also I wonder why the POD is a no-go? I understand that the Wildfire crew have day jobs, but the book is done and although the following is "niche," it seems well received by that small group.

I guess they might be concerned it would impact the future release of "The Void" as a stand alone product...

My Chthonian Stars campaign is available for view if you're interested. You can see how I've twisted a couple of standard traveller adventures-its tricky but basically you just chop the elements up and stick the bits you want back together again.

My game is on Obsidian Portal, and is called Black Night. I run 3 different games (all on OP) and so they have to take turns-I have 2 GM slots per year of 3 months each. I think my next session for this likely to be next spring.

Players are just traders not wardens, as I wanted a building mystery not a monster mash.

Wrote to Wildfire last month asking them about availability of a print of POD copy. As yet they haven't bothered to answer. I guess it's time to give up on Wildfire for good.

Looks like the first "Void" teaser is out on DriveThrough RPG. The first free preview looks like just the short fiction they previously made available for free under Chthonian Stars.

Good News Everyone!

I just checked DriveThru and Chthonian Stars is now, FINALLY, available as a full color, POD, hard cover!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/91255/Chthonian-Stars-Core-Setting?term=Chthonian+Stars

Thanks for the report. Do you happen to know if Media Mail means bubble rap packaging? Sounds like a hardcover will arrive dinged up.

I chose the next higher shipping rate, and the book arrived in a nice box rapped around the book (well protected) so the mail carrier that drops things at the doorstep won't be a problem.

My question though is the printing quality. Nearly every page of my book (in the lower right area of each right page) has some small spats of ink. It looks like this was done on purpose by the art director and not by the printing press. But it was not a great choice in my opinion.

Other than that, and the ink appears to be jet ink and not toner ink, the POD book is top notch.

With the tragic death of this system as we know it, does anyone know or have a good system in place to make Mythos entities besides the ones statted in the corebook?

I was hoping the Realms of Cthulhu book could be used. But it looks like it is just for Savage Worlds. Cthonian Stars will be plenty though for me for Mongoose Traveller.

Back