High Guard questions

Saladman

Cosmic Mongoose
So, point defense. Do pulse lasers used for point defense take the -2 mod to hit, or is it a straight up roll? Similarly, does point defense suffer ranged penalties? (Without the laser errata I had considered using range penalties whether official or not, as a way to make sense of the disparity between beam and pulse, but now I'm guessing not.)

Separately, are planetoid hulls an option for non-capital spaceships? I had an idea they were, but from the name and placement its not clear to me. If so, same cost and 80/60% mass choices?

Saladman said:
Separately, are planetoid hulls an option for non-capital spaceships? I had an idea they were, but from the name and placement its not clear to me. If so, same cost and 80/60% mass choices?

There's been at least one design published by Mongoose Publishing that made use of such for a smaller ship, though haven't ever seen any official ruling on it.

Saladman said:

I don't recall any hard and fast rule that states you have to build 3000+ Dton hulls only using planetoids. Because of the set-aside for mass, it's probably not efficient to use planetoids for smaller ships.

However there was an original Traveller adventure that had, I think, a 300-400 ton planetoid ship. So it would certainly be a canon rule if you wanted to make one. In this case the ship was made out of a planetoid for stealth purposes.

Back