HG 1e Capital Ship Design Example Step 7 Flight Crew and Flight Section crew requirements

snrdg121408

Mongoose
Morning PDT all,

I am having trouble figuring out how the design example determined the number of personnel for the four modular cutters and two pinnaces.

From HG 1e p. 71 without the four other components added.

Step 7 – Other Components
Julia decides to fit the following extra components:
• Full Scale Hangars for 4 cutters and 2 pinnaces (4 x 50 x 1.3 + 2 x 40 x 1.3) totalling 364 tons and costing (364 x 0.2) MCr72.8.
Small craft costs are MCr152 and require a total of 18 crew.

On HG 1e Crew p. 67 are the requirements for the Flight Section as

Flight Section
Requirement 1A: If the ship has any launched craft, it should have a flight control officer,

The four 50-ton modular cutters and 40 ton two pinnaces count as six launched craft which I believe requires a flight control officer. The Flight Section total is 1

Requirement 1B: crew for each craft,

Small Craft crew requirements on found on HG 1e p. 60 which are

The minimum number of crew for a small craft depends on its size.

tonnage: 10–50; minimum crew: 1
tonnage: 60–100; minimum crew: 2

A craft may carry extra crewmen, often as gunners, sensor operators, cargo masters or navigators.

The six launched craft are <= 50 tons which shows the requirement for a crew of 1, which is probably the pilot, there is no mention of additional crew and this adds 6 more personnel to the Flight Section bring the total to 1 + 6 = 7

Requirement 1C: and at least 1 maintenance person per craft.

In addition to the small craft crew of six pilots each of them has an assigned maintenance technician adding another six personnel. The total Flight Section now has 1 + 6 + 6 = 7 + 6 = 13.

I am five short of the 18 Flight Section crew shown in the example based on the requirements as outlined above.

My conclusion is that:
1. I may not understand the HG 1e Capital Ship Design Flight Section Crew rules an/or small craft crew rules and/or overlooked corrections to the small craft crew rules in the HG 1e Capital Ship Design rules.

2. If I have correctly understood the flight section and small craft rules the text in HG 1e Capital Ship Design Example Step 7 is unclear on how the Flight Section crew was calculated.

I have three recommendations:

Recommendation 1: Change the example text to
• Full Scale Hangars for 4 cutters and 2 pinnaces (4 x 50 x 1.3 + 2 x 40 x 1.3) totalling 364 tons and costing (364 x 0.2) MCr72.8.
Small craft costs are MCr152 and require a total of (4 modular cutter + 2 pinnace + 6 maintenance + 1 flight control officer) 13 crew.

Recommendation 2: Change the example text to
Small craft costs are MCr152 and each small craft has a crew of 2 and 1 maintenance technician for a total of 18 crew. One or more of the ship's officers fills the flight control officer position as needed.

Recommendation 3: Change the example text to
Small craft costs are MCr152 and one flight control officer is required in addition to each small craft having a crew of 2 and 1 maintenance technician for a total of 19 crew.

I am going to check to be sure I understand the Launch Tube and Vehicle crew requirements at this time.

Requirement 2A. Launch tubes should have a crew of at least 10,

Each installed launch tube has a base crew of 10. If there are three launch tubes the base crew is a total of 30.

Requirement 2B: which will include a flight supervision officer

There are three flight supervision officers leaving 27 enlisted personnel (a.k.a. ratings)

Requirement 2C: and a preponderance of petty officers.

Of the 27 remaining launch tube crew a preponderance, an undefined variable percentage, of them are petty officers.

Requirement 2D: Pilots must be officers,

The Flight section has six officers who are pilots without a flight control officer and seven with the flight control officer.
The six extra crew members ranks are not covered.

Are the six extra small craft crew ratings or officers?

Requirement 2E: and maintenance personnel are generally ratings.

The six maintenance personnel are not officers.

Are any of the ratings Petty Officers and if they are what is the percentage?

Requirement 3A: In addition, if the ship has more than 3 vehicles (air/rafts, ATVs,
and so on), the flight section should include

Requirement 3B: vehicle drivers and maintenance personnel for them as well (at least 1 per 3 vehicles).

A vessel is equipped with three air/rafts, six ATVs, and two G-Carriers would require the following crew:

(3 + 6 + 2) / 3 = (9 + 2) / 3 = 11 / 3 = 3.6667 crew rounding up to 4 drivers and 4 maintenance personnel for a total of 8.

Would arming any of the vehicles increase the crew requirement?

You understand the crew requirement. They are minimum requirements. The design example has 18 Flight crew, against a minimum of 13.

The rules only give very vague guidelines as to the ranks of crew-members, we can assume different Navies have different traditions.

Loadmaster, crew chief, weapons officer (especially if the armament is on a turret); assuming there are three watches, who keeps an eye on the hangar when the Flight Control Officer isn't there?

But let's see how crewing requirements turn out in the next incarnation.

Hello AnotherDilbert and Condottiere,

Yippee, I have an understanding of the the requirements then the problem is that I have no way of knowing if the six additional Flight Section personnel are all members of the assigned small craft, additional maintenance, or the flight control officer and a combination of small craft crew and/or maintenance crew. All of the other components that need crew shows the math that provided the numbers. Step 7 on the other hand made not attempts at showing how the section breaks down.

I am hoping that HG 2e does a better job at explaining how crew calculations work.

Thank you both for the replies.

Back