Do you homebrew careers?

Do you make your own careers, or stick to published careers?

• I stick to published.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I roll my own.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

Saladman

Cosmic Mongoose
Or do you prefer published ones?

I ask because a question in the Cosmopolite thread reminded me of an attitude I've seen elsewhere, of what looks like people waiting for an official resource. For myself, careers are pretty easy to knock out. The greater labor would be in a custom life events list, and that's more where I find the supplements useful.

And what are your reasons? For published-only, is it balance? Just avoiding "sweetheart" custom careers? If you're a player, is it easier to point to a published product than ask your GM, "hey, can I have X as a career?"

I created a different system. There is no "game before the game" Char Gen. You get a total number of skill points based on how many Terms and you choose skills off of a Career pick list that has point costs for each skill. The costs can differ for the same Skill based on Career.

Saladman said:

I ask because a question in the Cosmopolite thread reminded me of an attitude I've seen elsewhere, of what looks like people waiting for an official resource. For myself, careers are pretty easy to knock out. The greater labor would be in a custom life events list, and that's more where I find the supplements useful.

And what are your reasons? For published-only, is it balance? Just avoiding "sweetheart" custom careers? If you're a player, is it easier to point to a published product than ask your GM, "hey, can I have X as a career?"

I tend to run Highly variant games and tailoring careers to them is only fair. My stargate game requires very little in the way of Space Ship skills but more Calvery/Trucker/Colonist options would be nice, so it only goes to follow.

I have used a points buy system in the past as well, and there is a solid core of one in MgT between the TMB and the Main book for Traveller2300 from MgT.

It's what ever makes your game better...

Saladman said:

Part of the beauty of Mongoose Traveller is that you can use a career as a template for adding more careers, with events and promotions and backstory and all. Even new races can be generated for players using the templates.

Has anyone converted characters classes to careers?
For instance example of careers would be:
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

JRoss said:
Does it count as homebrew if Mongoose has published the Careers that you wrote?

Touche. Well, if you're asking me, then which came first, using the careers or having them published?

I have created a few custom careers for my campaign. It is not difficult to do. What is sometimes difficult is keeping the skills and benefits balanced for the game. After putting in a bunch of stuff because it was "really cool" I had to admit that the careers gave away too much, either skills or muster out benefits and had to be dialed back. Finding the balance between attribute/skill boosts, survival/promotion difficulty, and muster out benefits is where the real challenge lies.

DickTurpin said:
Finding the balance between attribute/skill boosts, survival/promotion difficulty, and muster out benefits is where the real challenge lies.

What is this Balance you speak of?....

JRoss said:
Does it count as homebrew if Mongoose has published the Careers that you wrote?
They did those? I haven't read everything. I only threw out some names, haven't actually made those careers. I do know that Traveller Careers have been made into classes for T20, I was just thinking about going in the other direction, so we can have primitive planets with a variety of careers other than Barbarian.

Infojunky said:
DickTurpin said:
Finding the balance between attribute/skill boosts, survival/promotion difficulty, and muster out benefits is where the real challenge lies.

What is this Balance you speak of?....
Speaking for myself and not DickTurpin,

Take a look at page 9 of the core rules and you will see that for most careers, the combined target numbers for survival and advancement are a 12. 6 and 6, 5 and 7, a few 8 and 4. There are a couple exceptions, but they don't stray far. The scouts seam to be one significant exception with all 3 career specializations totaling a 14 for survival and advancement. Surprisingly the career is not significantly harder to survive but just harder to advance in. Less likely to advance = less likely to get advancement skills. Perhaps someone may think that balance is because scouts can get access to a ship on muster vs other careers that just get ship shares? Don't know.

The point is that making a career easier or harder to survive and advance, even if done from the "that's an easy desk job" perspective, can throw off that careers skill balance. Perhaps this is balanced by something else, like benefits or the likelihood of gaining skills in events.

As touched on above, there also is balance for muster benefits. How much cash, what type of gear is available... I've seen people choose multiple careers because of the benefits. Choose one to "fit" the character for role playing and getting the skills they want but choose another for the bigger cash benefit roles or a chance to get a ship or combat implant or whatever.

How many events give additional skill vs other careers? Several events with automatic promotions?

While keeping with the format of the careers in the book, I see how one could adjust the requirements and make the events such that a character made from one career seams unbalanced with characters from other careers.

This may even be done on purpose, to fit ones personal chargen views.

I do both. I use established careers and I make up new ones as well (not one of the options to select though).

I usually play with the Mishap and Events tables a lot more than the skill tables. I will typically only vary 1 or 2 skills in my variant NAVAL careers, but the Mishaps and Events are quite different based on the Interstellar Navy they are a member of (not everyone gets Blade Combat for example).

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
I do both. I use established careers and I make up new ones as well (not one of the options to select though).

I usually play with the Mishap and Events tables a lot more than the skill tables. I will typically only vary 1 or 2 skills in my variant NAVAL careers, but the Mishaps and Events are quite different based on the Interstellar Navy they are a member of (not everyone gets Blade Combat for example).

Do you tweak them to be more suitable to your campaign or because you think the originals have issues?

A bit of both.

IMTU, there are three main interstellar pocket empires (no big Imperium), one is based on Indonesian/Islamic traditions, one on British and one on Japanese traditions.

So, for the Navy Careers -

The British one is basic Navy career from Traveller.

The Japanese use an integrated command so their Naval Officers are also Army Officers, so there are more ground skills available but less space skills.

The Indo-Islamic Navy is the most democratic and all officers are former enlisted, so there is a single Rank system, so the skills become very rank dependent.

Mishaps and Events are based on my History, so some specific wars etc. are referenced (similar to how the Babylon 5 did it).

CosmicGamer said:
Speaking for myself and not DickTurpin,

Take a look at page 9 of the core rules and you will see that for most careers, the combined target numbers for survival and advancement are a 12. 6 and 6, 5 and 7, a few 8 and 4. There are a couple exceptions, but they don't stray far. The scouts seam to be one significant exception with all 3 career specializations totaling a 14 for survival and advancement. Surprisingly the career is not significantly harder to survive but just harder to advance in. Less likely to advance = less likely to get advancement skills. Perhaps someone may think that balance is because scouts can get access to a ship on muster vs other careers that just get ship shares? Don't know.

I wonder if the Scouts don't need some kind of kicker after all. They've got a decent cash table, not the very best, and that shot at a ship, but that survival/advancement chart still steers people elsewhere. Better rank benefits table maybe?

The scout career sets people up very well for the mainstream style of adventure that Traveller revolves around. They're generally very good generalists! Not so sure I'd want to see it tweaked lest they become too powerful.

Tom Kalbfus said:
Has anyone converted characters classes to careers?
For instance example of careers would be:
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

I have worked on it from time to time. Netherell, Flynn's Guide to Magic in Traveller and Flynn's Guide To Alien Creation were good Traveller Compatible products dealing with fantasy and fantasy careers. Netherell and Magic had fantasy careers. Combined with Alien Creation you have just enough info to convert the d20SRD to a Traveller base rule system.

The big tricks are converting the Charisma attribute, class special abilities and feats over to Traveller. For a guide on that I would suggest looking over the Influence attribute and "Special Techniques" found in the Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog books. Essentially put in an entry or entries on the career called "Special Technique". When selected or rolled for skill selection, allow the player to select an appropriate class ability, er... special technique. Yea, that's it. Thats the ticket.

Here try these on for size...

Special Techniques
Rage: The character can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, the character temporarily gains a +3 bonus to Strength, a +3 bonus to Endurance, and a +1 DM to mental resistance rolls, but other characters gain a +1 DM to attack him in combat. The increase in attributes increases the character’s hits, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when Strength and Endurance return to normal. While raging, the character cannot use any skill rolls using Dexterity, Intelligence, or Influence except for Animals (Riding), Athletics and rolls involving intimidation (such as intimdation using the Persuade skill. Nor can they make skills rolls or use techniques requiring more than a major action to complete the task. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to (the character’s (newly improved) Endurance modifier x 2 +3. A character may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (see Fatigue page 74). Entering a rage is a minor action, but the character can do it when he is able to act in the round.

Bardic Music: Twice per day per Art (Music) skill level, a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance. Each ability requires both a minimum bard level and a minimum number of ranks in the Perform skill to qualify; if a bard does not have the required number of ranks in at least one Perform skill, he does not gain the bardic music ability until he acquires the needed ranks.
Starting a bardic music effect is a Major Action. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a Major Action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using bardic music that doesn’t require concentration, a bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf bard has a -4 DM when attempting to use bardic music. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.

Countersong (Su): A bard with Art (Music) 1 or greater can use his music or poetics to counter magical effects that depend on sound (but not spells that simply have verbal components). Each round of the countersong, he makes an Averge (+0) Art (Music) skill roll. Any creature within Short Range (including the bard himself ) that is affected by a sonic or language-dependent magical attack may use the bard’s Art Effect as a DM to resistance rolls. If a creature within range of the countersong is already under the effect of a noninstantaneous sonic or language-dependent magical attack, it gains another resistance roll against the effect each round it hears the countersong. Countersong has no effect against effects that don’t allow resistance rolls. The bard may keep up the countersong for 10 rounds.

Spell: Fireball - physical component; HE Grenade. By pulling out a pin and throwing the physical component at a target, the wizard creates a fireball in size and effect exactly the same as a HE Grenade. :twisted:

Back