Book 9 Robots

Saladman

Cosmic Mongoose
Is there errata for this? Or even just some worked examples? I cracked it open to try to use it for the first time, and it is not actually user friendly.

No, and no. Its from an era when Mongoose rushed things to market. In a pdf dominated world, I wish there was more of an effort to fix old errors. But I've spent enough time on that soapbox.

I’ve got the Mongoose robots book, the 13Mann robots book, and the Clement Sector robots book. I don’t really like any of them.

Everyone's idea of what a robot is in their sci-fi is not what the books do exactly. The same goes for spaceships. But far more people put vasts amount of time into tweaking ship rules than robot rules.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Everyone's idea of what a robot is in their sci-fi is not what the books do exactly. The same goes for spaceships. But far more people put vasts amount of time into tweaking ship rules than robot rules.

Let's ask the people that build an design robots what a robot is.

1) a robot uses sensors to gain information about the real world

2) a robot uses a computer to decide how to operate real world systems (like motors and valves) in response to those sensors

3) a robot performs a task automatically

So that's everything from washing machines, dishwashers and upwards. They're all robots. Problem solved. :)

You can keep things simplified if it's just a tool or an extension of the sensor net.

Or,

bb-8_star-wars_silo.png

Moppy said:
ShawnDriscoll said:

Let's ask the people that build an design robots what a robot is.

1) a robot uses sensors to gain information about the real world

2) a robot uses a computer to decide how to operate real world systems (like motors and valves) in response to those sensors

3) a robot performs a task automatically

So that's everything from washing machines, dishwashers and upwards. They're all robots. Problem solved. :)
Are robots slaves or free?

ShawnDriscoll said:
Are robots slaves or free?

I could ask if people are slaves or free, and get a bunch of different answers. This question is bigger than robots.

Someone should really make a pitch to create an MgT2 robots book. One that makes robots fun but doesn't break the game. Hmmmm.

Old School said:
Don’t do it, man! It’s a trap!

Shoot. I was figuring we'd partner on it! :p We both have nice day jobs, so I figure if we ruin our Traveller reputations in the process, at least we have a fallback plan.

paltrysum said:
Someone should really make a pitch to create an MgT2 robots book. One that makes robots fun but doesn't break the game. Hmmmm.

If you write a Robots book, I'll buy it. Because robots and Traveller, and I support TAS.

Oh, I’d buy it, too. I’ve always wanted a good robot design system, and always been disappointed. I’m starting to suspect it can’t be done to my satisfaction. I don’t really know why.

You haven’t given up your day job yet? Guess it is expensive out there on the left coast.

Back