Why is Born to the Saddle so crappy?

Yuan-Ti

Mongoose
As soon as I saw it, I thought: "Cool! Nomads get class bonus to ride checks or handle animal checks!"

No. They can price horseflesh. Whoopty-do.

What does everyone think if I were to make this class ability do exactly what it does but also grant a +1 to Ride and Handle Animal checks? This way a first level Nomad, with 4 ranks in these two skills is automatically better than any other first level class at them... as it should be.

I had expected something like a bonus to ride, and a bonus to parry while mounted. I actually hadn't read the class feature, assuming it to be similar if not identical to the Kalamar feat of the same name. That is a kind of weird ability.

I guess it means that your nomad can find the horse least likely to die beneath him in battle, except how often does your GMs actually randomly determine horse stats instead of using the generic template horse?

Though even then, that is kind of unimpressive for a class feature, thought it is one more thing then a borderer gets at level one.

True... I guess it was the idea that Pirates have Seamanship +1. It just seems like Nomads ought to have Horsemanship +1.

Come to think of it, maybe a way to balance it a bit would be to alter the Favored Terrain +1 for Nomads. How about drop the Search +1 in a Nomad's favored terrain for Ride +1 in his favored terrain?

Your game, do whatever you wish.

I myself don't mind knowing if my trusty steed is indeed as trusty as I thought it was. Hate to find out that I have a nag who gets skiittish when any mere Pict gets near me. Even when the merchant said this is the best steed he has that relishes in crushing his enemies with his hooves. Luckily this ability will enable me to find out if this is true or not. Though, I'm also sure I could haggle down that price too. Where I can see that the horse has been mistreated, a bad gait, poor teeth, etc.

Born To The Saddle is a worthless ability that will never see use in 99.9% of all Conan games. It should be replaced with something cool, or at least decent. The designers dropped the ball on this particular ability, no doubt about it.

When I saw that ability I thought it was very cool -- as GM I would let Nomad PC's purchase or pick advanced horses or horses with improved stats or max HP. As a player, I would expect the same!

Also, expect my NPC nomad's horses to be slightly better than normal!

No ability is useless if you use it!

BhilJhoanz said:
When I saw that ability I thought it was very cool -- as GM I would let Nomad PC's purchase or pick advanced horses or horses with improved stats or max HP. As a player, I would expect the same!

I agree with you BhilJhoanz. If one of my players had chosen to play a Nomad, I certainly would have let him either get a good deal on a horse or find an exceptional horse.

:arrow: The old cliche, for example. "Your nomad friend Ali shows up with his new horse. It looks kinda short to you guys and its mane and tail look pretty ratty at this point." Then, the first chance we get, "Ali races past you, his horse easily outpacing your own..."

On the other hand, I seriously think we should switch out Search for Ride in the Favored Terrain ability of the Nomad class.

BhilJhoanz said:

This is the best solution to making it a useful ability, IMO. I'd let them get the advanced horse with max hp at regular price. Now that's a useful ability! As far as buying such horses for his non-nomad buddies, that would have to be limited... Say, only one such horse per merchant, and only a number of such horses available for sale in the city at any one time equal to the nomad's Wis modifier.

Back