Where is Thoth Amon in the old Conan stories?

ReptileJK

Mongoose
Hey folks,
Trying to determine where I can read up on Thoth Amon in the old Conan prose stories (not the Marvel Comic stories). If I remember correctly, he was either not created by R. E. Howard, or was only mentioned in his stories (ie, I don't think he appears in any REH stories). Perhaps L. Sprague DeCamp created him?

Recently, he's mentioned in issue 11 of the Dark Horse Comic's Conan series. The current issue is based on the old REH story: "The God in the Bowl." I've read that story (albeit awhile ago) and I don't remember Thoth Amon even being mentioned in it. I could be wrong.

Just trying to read up on him from the books. Makes things in the gaming sessions have a more appropriate feel if you have book references for folks, IMO.

Thanks,
Reptile
 

Trodax

Mongoose
Yeah, "The Phoenix on the Sword" is the only REH story where Thoth-Amon appears. He was also mentioned in "The Hour of the Dragon" as being the baddest ass in Stygia (but he didn't appear in that story). As far as I remember, he wasn't at all mentioned in "The God in the Bowl".

L. Sprauge DeCamp elaborated on Thoth-Amon and made him a recurring villain. He appears in "The Witch of the Mist", "Black Sphinx of Nebthu", "Red Moon of Zembabwei" and "Shadows in the Skull" (all four stories published in "Conan of Aquilonia"). Haven't read those stories in like 10 years though, so I couldn't say if they are worth a read.
 

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
ReptileJK said:
Hey folks,
Trying to determine where I can read up on Thoth Amon in the old Conan prose stories (not the Marvel Comic stories). If I remember correctly, he was either not created by R. E. Howard, or was only mentioned in his stories (ie, I don't think he appears in any REH stories). Perhaps L. Sprague DeCamp created him?

Recently, he's mentioned in issue 11 of the Dark Horse Comic's Conan series. The current issue is based on the old REH story: "The God in the Bowl." I've read that story (albeit awhile ago) and I don't remember Thoth Amon even being mentioned in it. I could be wrong.

Just trying to read up on him from the books. Makes things in the gaming sessions have a more appropriate feel if you have book references for folks, IMO.

Thanks,
Reptile
If I recall well, Thoth Amon appears only in The phoenix on the sword story by Howard and de Camp rewrote a text of Howard (the treasure of Tranicos) where we also see the dark power of the Stygian wizard.

Morever, Lin Carter and De Camp expanded the adventures of the sorcerer and wrote 4 stories that are gathered in a book called Conan the Aquilonian. IMO these 4 stories are bad (there also appears the son of Conan) so I wouldn't advise them.

Another author (Sean A. Moore) wrote a full lengh novel with that cursed wizard with the title Conan and the Grim Grey God. Though this is a pastiche, it has many good ideas and is worth reading, excepted some AD&D stuff (like a specialized necromancer class) that is usual to this kind of pastiche books.
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
Trodax said:
As far as I remember, he wasn't at all mentioned in "The God in the Bowl".

I had a feeling that the comic writers were trying to introduce his name for future issues, because I didn't recall him being mentioned in God in the Bowl either. The new Conan Comics by Dark Horse Rock, BTW. I would recommend them to any Conan fans who haven't already bought them. The art is superb and they are trying to really keep with the feel of Howard's stories.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Was he the major baddie in the Pheonix on the Sword? It's been so long since I've read those Conan stories, I can't remember even IF I've read that one.

Thanks,
Reptile
 

Trodax

Mongoose
The King said:
... and de Camp rewrote a text of Howard (the treasure of Tranicos) where we also see the dark power of the Stygian wizard.

That was news to me! I just finished reading the original story (its original name was "The Black Stranger"). So what did de Camp alter? Does Thoth-Amon appear or is he just mentioned?
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
The King said:
If I recall well, Thoth Amon appears only in The phoenix on the sword story by Howard and de Camp rewrote a text of Howard (the treasure of Tranicos) where we also see the dark power of the Stygian wizard.

Morever, Lin Carter and De Camp expanded the adventures of the sorcerer and wrote 4 stories that are gathered in a book called Conan the Aquilonian. IMO these 4 stories are bad (there also appears the son of Conan) so I wouldn't advise them.

I had heard that De Camp had expanded some of Howard's stories to fit into his version of Chronology and Characters. In fact, there's a post on this message board entitled "Chronological Conan?" that has a link to a paper written about Howard's Chronology and points out many instances where De Camp made changes. Too bad. I do like some of De Camp's stories, but don't like that he has altered the original Howard material. :?

They've recently (last summer?) re-released the Howard Conan stories in order and un-molested in one volume. A friend of mine has it and says its great.

Reptile
 

Strom

Mongoose
Thoth-Amon is indeed mentioned in "A God in the Bowl" and although he doesn't appear in person he is the archfiend responsible for the entire story!

"I found a symbol on the bottom of the Bowl!", exclaimed Promero. "Not an ancient hieroglyphic, but a symbol recently carved! The mark of Thoth-Amon, the Stygian sorcerer, Kalanthes' deadliest foe!"

I don't want to spoil what happens, but if you like the Conan RPG - reading the original stories by REH is the greatest adventure and what we try to capture a little of every time we play!!!!
 

Trodax

Mongoose
ReptileJK said:
Was he the major baddie in the Pheonix on the Sword?

Well not really, he actually starts out as a slave to the story's baddie. Things change though.... :twisted:
You should reread it; its a pretty quick read. Not really one of my favorite REH-stories though.
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
Strom said:
Thoth-Amon is indeed mentioned in "A God in the Bowl" and although he doesn't appear in person he is the archfiend responsible for the entire story!

"I found a symbol on the bottom of the Bowl!", exclaimed Promero. "Not an ancient hieroglyphic, but a symbol recently carved! The mark of Thoth-Amon, the Stygian sorcerer, Kalanthes' deadliest foe!"

I don't want to spoil what happens, but if you like the Conan RPG - reading the original stories by REH is the greatest adventure and what we try to capture a little of every time we play!!!!

Aha! The truth be told!

It's been a loooong number of years since I've read those old stories. Just today I dug out my old Conan books and they smelled of must from ages past. I'll have to read them again!
 

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Trodax said:
The King said:
... and de Camp rewrote a text of Howard (the treasure of Tranicos) where we also see the dark power of the Stygian wizard.

That was news to me! I just finished reading the original story (its original name was "The Black Stranger"). So what did de Camp alter? Does Thoth-Amon appear or is he just mentioned?
In the tresure of Tranicos, Thoth Amon has an old grudge against the count and killed him with the demon that was imprisonned in the cave (he was there to guard the treasure).
This story is quite interesting from de Camp and the castle of the count is like a remake of the Alamo: there are the pirates, the Picts and Thoth Amon involved.

De Camp (with Lin Carter and Björn Nyberg) rewrote a lot of Howard's Conan and most of them these "pastiche" were the only published material until now. There is a revival of Howard's pure material, hence the release of "Howard only" stories.
De Camp is not always good (who is?) but he finished several fragments from Howard that are quite good and give some sense to the whole saga. However his intervention is so much important in Howard's work that he almost appropriated everything.
 

terryallenuk

Mongoose
DH are planning a Thoth mini series later in the year

" Conan : The Book of Thoth . By Kurt Busiek , Len Wein and Kelley
Jones . Four issue series due Fall '05 from Dark Horse Comics "

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
terryallenuk said:
DH are planning a Thoth mini series later in the year

" Conan : The Book of Thoth . By Kurt Busiek , Len Wein and Kelley
Jones . Four issue series due Fall '05 from Dark Horse Comics "

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/


Interesting. I absolutely love the new DH comics. Yet, I notice Cary Nord isn't going to be doing the art. Bummer as I can hardly think of Conan without envisioning Nord's art these days.

I'll have to check out your comics group, Terry!

Reptile
 

terryallenuk

Mongoose
Cheers , Cary is sticking with the on-going book . The Thoth one tells his story , don't even know if Conan will appear in it . There's two other minis due this year , one by P.Craig Russell and one with , as DH put it , " a Manga spin " . Have to wait and see on that one :?:

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
terryallenuk said:
one by P.Craig Russell and one with , as DH put it , " a Manga spin " . Have to wait and see on that one :?:

Hmmmm. Peculiar. Well, we'll just have to wait and see. I wasn't real hot on the one-shot that they did recently, "Daughters of Midora". Hopefully these upcoming minis will be better.

Reptile
 

slaughterj

Mongoose
ReptileJK said:
The King said:
If I recall well, Thoth Amon appears only in The phoenix on the sword story by Howard and de Camp rewrote a text of Howard (the treasure of Tranicos) where we also see the dark power of the Stygian wizard.

Morever, Lin Carter and De Camp expanded the adventures of the sorcerer and wrote 4 stories that are gathered in a book called Conan the Aquilonian. IMO these 4 stories are bad (there also appears the son of Conan) so I wouldn't advise them.

I had heard that De Camp had expanded some of Howard's stories to fit into his version of Chronology and Characters. In fact, there's a post on this message board entitled "Chronological Conan?" that has a link to a paper written about Howard's Chronology and points out many instances where De Camp made changes. Too bad. I do like some of De Camp's stories, but don't like that he has altered the original Howard material. :?

They've recently (last summer?) re-released the Howard Conan stories in order and un-molested in one volume. A friend of mine has it and says its great.

Reptile

Some clarifications(?) - I believe there are going to be 3 books released, which have the original Howard Conan stories, written in the order in which he wrote them (i.e., not necessarily in the chronological order of Conan's life, such as it can be determined). One was released about a year ago and one was recently released. Maybe someone can clarify further?
 

Mythos

Mongoose
Currently there are two books on the market; The Coming of Conan The Cimmerian, and, The Bloody Crown of Conan.

These are the first two of a three book set being published by Del Rey.

In addition, Del Rey has published a collection of Howard's Solomon Kane stories.

The third Conan collection will be hitting the shelves in either Nov. or Dec of '05. Cannot remember the title off the top of my head, sorry.

All four books mentioned were first published by Wandering Star in limited collectors editions.
 

ReptileJK

Mongoose
Mythos said:
Currently there are two books on the market; The Coming of Conan The Cimmerian, and, The Bloody Crown of Conan.

These are the first two of a three book set being published by Del Rey.

In addition, Del Rey has published a collection of Howard's Solomon Kane stories.

The third Conan collection will be hitting the shelves in either Nov. or Dec of '05. Cannot remember the title off the top of my head, sorry.

All four books mentioned were first published by Wandering Star in limited collectors editions.

Wow! Didn't know that there were going to be three. Also didn't know that there were already two of these Conan books published. I've seen "The Coming of Conan of Cimmeria" and the Solomon Kaine book, but not the second Conan one.

I'll have to check it out.

Rept
 

Mythos

Mongoose
Besides the third Conan book, some new stories dealing with new characters in the Hyborian Age will be coming out later this year.

http://www.conan.com/f_aoc.shtml
 

Trodax

Mongoose
Mythos said:
Besides the third Conan book, some new stories dealing with new characters in the Hyborian Age will be coming out later this year.

http://www.conan.com/f_aoc.shtml
Cool, I hadn't heard anything about that! Thanks Mythos!
 
Top