What Are Your RuneQuest Plans?

iamtim

Mongoose
With all the heated discussions about RQ on this board, I thought maybe a nice, happy RQ thread was in order.

So what are your plans with RQ?

My buddy and I are going to re-tool our homebrew fantasy world (originally created for RQ3 and been converted to GURPS, d20, and Fudge; we never found anything that worked as well for it as RQ, though) and, if we do enough quality work on it, publish it through our "side business".

Then, when we've got some really good experience with RQ, we're going to re-write Gatecrasher, one of our "side businesses" products, for RQ. Which will be really cool, because Gatecrasher is science-fantasy; in addition to the fantastic elements (magic, etc.) we'll have to create some sci-fi stuff for it.

Tekumel. I am going to use some parts of MRQ along with Stormbringer and Sandy Petersen's RQ Tekumel material and create a full BRP style Tekumel game system. Parts of MRQ that I am sure about are the skill system, hit points and especially the character generation. All seem just right for Tekumel. Other than that, I might use MRQ as is (or try to) at some point, possibly with Lankhmar, just to see if it grows on me more. I am really stuck on BRP, I guess.

I personally think it would be cool to run a pair of staggered campaigns. One would start in the Second Age in all it's glory. After palying for a while I would start a 3rd Age campaign, perhaps with the characters as decscendants or members of the same tribe as the first campaign, and have them visit the same locationa as the second age campaign. The could see the city that once were in Imperial Age Glory in decay or total ruin, and even witness some of the effects the first campaign had on the world.

I think there is a lot of potential in that.

I have such plans, such plans do I have. Actually having just moved 100 miles north, I need to get some players first (quick off-topic call for willing victims, erm, players in the Stockport / Greater Manchester area (UK)). But assuming success in that endeavour I will be running Glorantha mainly (campaign already about 20% complete).

I'm also toying with the idea of a campaign set in a much expanded Albion (Fable PC/X-box game setting).

I hope to be running a campaign in a modified Glorantha setting I came up withbut never had a chance to run. Players where start in Knightsfort 2 years after the battle of Moonbroth. The Pharaoh worried that his head is next on the Lunar list of ones to be removed, has instructed his agents in Knightsfort to make life interesting, shall we say, for the Lunar forces in Prax, but to be carefull and try to make it so the Holy country cant be blamed for any Lunar patrols that go missing or anything else that goes wrong for the Lunar empire in Prax. Knightsfort population has been swelled by refugees from both Sartar and Prax( A clan from both the Bison and Impala nations have taken refuge from the Lunars/Sables there and many work now as mercenries for the Baron March) I chose it because it one of the few places I could have Orlanthi(From Heortland and Sartar) Prax nomads, and sorcerers(From Gods Forgot) working togather. they may not like each other but they have a bigger common enenmy.

I'm seriously tempted to use MRQ as a system for running a Star Wars game... It would take a bit of work but I think it could be great!

bluejay said:
I'm seriously tempted to use MRQ as a system for running a Star Wars game... It would take a bit of work but I think it could be great!

I think it would be great for Star Wars. If you want any feedback, just ask, I've run SW under D6, d20(blech), & True20.

Doc

I'm looking more at Science Fantasy as well. Some influences are:

Grimjack comics series

Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon

John Carter of Mars

I'm looking at how to integrate guns...but still keep it a swashbuckling setting. I'm conscidering just having areas where either magic or technology will fail, but a sword ALWAYS works (ala Grimjack's Cynosure).

I'm also tinkering with adapting Rifts for my own personal use or at least parts of it. I've toying with Hero Points cost of some of Rifts OCC/RCC abilities.

Doc

My group is going to start a round robin gm session using my Leshan setting. I've put it up on a wiki and gave all the GM's in our group access to be able to add stuff, and each of us has picked a starting area.

So far, all the stuff that is up is my notes, but I've heard some good ideas being passed around. Our local store is supposed to have the book and GM screen in tomorrow and a few of us are getting together Saturday at the store to create a few characters and have a 'bash everything that moves' combat session to see how combat feels to us, and we'll probably start the new campaign in September.

Oh, and I'll be putting some more Character Sheets and associated sheets on my wiki in the next week after I have a chance to see if I need to change anything I've already done.

My wiki can be found at http://leshan.pbwiki.com if you want to have a look

My RQ plans... are currently to work out what's different to the rules I'm already familiar with so I can finish the OGL-ed work I'm doing with it :)

My plans;
> Finish writing Arkana - my own Fantasy setting, and releasing that.
> Finish writing Omega Chronicles - my Dark Science Fantasy setting (think Dune meets Evil Dead, Alien, and some fantasy creatures in space).
> Finish Gamma Chronicles - My Post-apocalyptic setting.

Arkana is given priority at the moment, since I want to play RQ, not only write settings for it.

1. Read the books, and then convert Drow War to Runequest. Start out with a "normal" Glorantha campaign. And then whisk the heroes off to Ashfar to fight the Drow War.

2. Consider using Runequest vs Call of Cthulhu for a "Moonquest" espionage campaign.

I'm planing a Gloranthan 2nd age game.

The Return to Glory!
Premise: The remnants of the Dara Happan Empire vs the invading Empire of the Wyrms Friends.

Background: During the second age the EWF invaded the Dara Happan Empire (which in 3rd age is part of the Lunar Empire). The put a false Sun Dragon on the throne and pushed the faithful followers of the true Emperor to the northern most provinces of the Empire.

It is in one of these Provinces that the Mighty Dara Happan General Transior throws his javalin in the ground before the gates of the City of Serris and shout definatly at the massing enemy

"NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS ON HALLOWED DARA HAPPAN LANDS!!"

It will be a war epic, were the players are Dara Happans soliders or priests fighting the EWF to preserve their homes and way of life. A nice straight forward hack n slash game with magical bangs, which I think MRQ will handle better than HQ, which tends to drift off in all sorts of directions at once.

I've already got the lions share of the history/setting from my 3rd age HeroQuest lunar game. It will be fun to see the main setting, the Dara Happan city state of Serris in a different age, similar yet different, and use the exploits of the heroes in this game to give colour and history for my 3rd age game.

All this has been inspired by the tanisling previews of the Glorantha book, and the bits that Dead Blue Clown has let slip on his live journal about the setting information in the Magic of Glorantha book.

I'm also writting a generic fantasy game with my friend Tom Zunder, purely to see how much fun we can get out of the system.

1.) Wait for the Second Age source material and all being well use it as background & pillage ruthlessly for my Third Age campaigns.
2.) Put the MRQ Core Rulebook quietly to one side.
3.) Carry on playing HeroQuest and RQ3.

I am going to...

Wait for my pre-order of Second Age and first two rulebooks to appear.

The wait for the RuneQuest Monster Manual to appear and see if it's worth buying. My thoughts are no right now, but I'll wait and see.

Then wait for Legendary Heroes to appear and see if it's worth buying. Again no right now, but I'll wait and see.

Then wait until September for Cults of Glorantha vol 1.

Then wait until November for Magic of Glorantha.

At this point, I'll see if there is enough information to really spark my interest in a Second Age MQ (or probably RQ2.5) game.

I just did a little math -- man, the price of MQ keeps creeping up --

Glorantha alone: $100
MQ Rules (spread over four books!): $110

I was looking through my old well-used RQ2 book, and it's amazing how much they could pack into a 120 page book!

Actually, my group seems to be getting tired of "dark age" fantasy campaigns. So I'm thinking maybe I should do a "Seventh Age" Glorantha, where there has been enough technological advancement for a fascinating change of pace.

Utgardloki said:
Actually, my group seems to be getting tired of "dark age" fantasy campaigns. So I'm thinking maybe I should do a "Seventh Age" Glorantha, where there has been enough technological advancement for a fascinating change of pace.

"Quick! Hand me you mobile. I'm going to call for Divine Intervention!" :)

I'm using the basic rules to run a one off haunted space station for a Traveller 2300/THS hybrid tonight.

Then I'll try it with the Dark Sun setting (Pamaltela in my version of Glorantha), and when the Glorantha 2nd age stuff is out we're off there.

Utgardloki said:

hehe, I did a similar thing with another fantasy setting cirka '93. Fantasy world progressed to modern technological age. Was quite fun, for a while at least.

Back