Using girds and miniatures

Deleriad

Mongoose
Quite a few people I know enjoy playing with miniatures on battle grids and MRQI appears to have been written with that in mind. RQII, however, does not naturally lend itself to that so I've been trying to come up with some guidelines for it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has been trying to run RQII this way.

This is all a bit wordy and not easy to read on a bb so do feel free to check out the write-up on my wiki.
Specific changes to combat and movement to facilitate playing with miniatures on a square grid.

The Grid
Each square is 2m.

Figures
Each character is represented by a Figure.

A figure's base size is a measure of how much room it takes up on the battle map. An average human takes up one square therefore has a base size of 1x1. Larger quadrupeds may have a base size of 2x1 (representing that they are relatively long) while larger humanoids may have a base size of 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4.

A figure's reach is equal to its smallest base size plus weapon reach. A human with a base size of 1x1 has a reach of 1 square all around it which means that it can attack any figure adjacent to it. If using a Long (L) or Very Long (VL) weapon, however, its reach is increased by 1, meaning that it can attack any figure that is 2 or fewer squares away.

A figure with a base size of 2x1 has a smallest base size of 1 therefore has the same reach as a 1x1 figure. However a figure with a base size of 2x2 has a base reach of 2 squares which means that if using a L or VL weapon it can reach any figure within 3 squares.

Figure base size table
SIZ 5-25: base size 1x1. Size 26-40: base size 2x2. SIZ 41-60: base size 3x3: SIZ 61-80: base size 4x4.
SIZ 1-4: 4 per square. SIZ smaller than 1: "swarm" per square

Note that many quadrupeds are often longer than they are wide. In which case the following size equivalency can be used.
SIZ 5-20: base size 1x1. SIZ 21-35: base size 2x1. SIZ 36-50: base size 3x2. SIZ 51-65: base size 4x3. SIZ 66-80: base size 5x4

Of course some creatures have very unusual body shapes (e.g. wyrms) in which case the figure size and shape will deviate from the numbers above.

Movement
Can move straight by spending 2m MOV per square. As always round up so someone with 3 MOV can move 2 squares.
Can move diagonally at the rate of 3 MOV per square. E.g. Someone with a MOV of 7 could move 3 squares diagonally.

Obstacles increase the cost to move through a square. Minor obstacles double the cost to move through so it would cost 4m of MOV to move straight through it or 6m to move diagonally through it. Major obstacles treble the cost (6m or 9m).

Movement while engaged in close combat
While engaged, in combat a figure cannot move unless it uses the Change Range Combat Action or Combat Manoeuvre. Change Range lets a figure immediately move half of its MOV. E.g. a human with MOV 8 would have 4 MOV available allowing it to move 2 squares (e.g. one right then one diagonally). This may be enough to allow the figure to move far enough away to make an escape.

Change Range can now also be used to allow the acting figure to move to any other square adjacent to the target figure.

Movement while not engaged in close combat
Normal Movement
A figure may spend a CA to move up to its MOV rating. It may take Defensive Combat Actions while doing so. I.e. it could Parry or Evade or even cast a Counter Spell of some sort. Doing so however is capped by the movement skill the figure is using (e.g. Athletics for moving on foot, Riding if mounted and so on).
Changing direction: the figure can freely turn in any direction after each square moved.

Running and sprinting
An unengaged figure can spend two Combat Actions to run at up to three times its MOV rating. It must move further than its MOV rating (or else it is not running). While so doing it cannot take any Defensive Combat Actions.

Some figures are so slow that they only have one CA such figure by definition are not capable of running.
Armour Penalty. The armour penalty is applied to running. Any figure with an Armour Penalty equal to or greater than its MOV is incapable of running.
If a figure only has one CA left this Combat Round then it cannot start running this Combat Round.
(Optional. Changing Direction. While running a figure can turn through 45 degrees per square. A successful Athletics test allows a turn of 90 degrees while a successful Acrobatics test allows turning 135 degrees. This test can only be made once and counts for the whole move. Fumbling means that the character falls prone.)
(Optional. Sprinting. If a figure wishes to run flat out it can an attempt an Athletics roll. If successful it can add half of its normal MOV rating to the distance it can run. E.g. a human with MOV 8 would be able to sprint at 16+4 = 20m.)

Moving and acting at the same time
Generally a figure can spend a CA to move up to 1/2 of its MOV rating while performing an action other than a close-combat action. This does allow it to, for example, move and fire a missile weapon or cast a spell. E.g. a figure with a MOV of 9 could move up to 5m while performing anything other than a combat action.

Moving and attacking
If the figure is not currently engaged in close combat then it can charge or step and attack.
Step and attack
If a figure is not currently engaged in close combat then it can move a number of squares equal to its smallest base size then attack as a single action. Most normal humanoids have a base size of 1 square therefore they could move one square in any direction then attack any figure within reach.
Charge
A charge is an attack on the run against an opponent. By definition, the figure must be able to run and be able to move in a straight line towards the target. The figure must also be far enough away to get up to speed. Therefore the target must be more than twice the charger's largest base size away. E.g. a human has a base size of 1x1 therefore the target must be 3 or more squares away. A horse with a base size of 2x1 would need at least 5 squares of movement to get up to charging speed.
Note that a charge happens on the run therefore the charger cannot take Defensive Combat Actions while charging. The actual charge attack is part of the move action.
If the target either successfully evades or is knocked back by the force of the charge then the charging Figure will generally keep moving forwards until its MOV has been used up. Example: Keldo has a MOV of 8 and is charging at full speed (16m) at a goblin 10m (5 squares) away. The goblin dives out of the way so Keldo ends up running 6m past it before he's able to skid to a halt. (Optional. A successful appropriate skill test such as Athletics or Ride can be used to halve the distance the charger needs to continue.)
The charging figure does not necessarily have to have a weapon, it may simply charge into an opponent in an attempt to either bash it out of the way or force the opponent to move out of the way by Evading.
It is possible that there may be multiple figures that could be charged through. If the figure in front evades then the charging figure may simply continue the charge. If the figure was hit and knocked-back then the charge continues but the charging figure will have been somewhat slowed down and no longer gets the increase to its damage modifier. Depending on circumstance, the charging figure may not be able to use the same weapon against any subsequent figures. A good rule of thumb is that if the charger got a Combat Manoeuvre then it can use its weapon again.
Trample
Some exceptionally large creatures have the trample trait. Such creatures can simply attempt to walk over any creature less than half of its SIZ as part of a Movement action. Providing the creature keeps moving, it can attempt to Trample as many figures as it would walk over. As with a charge, a Trample can be Evaded or Attacked but not parried. If the target has a weapon capable of impaling and has had time to brace it, the weapon uses the Trampling creature's Damage Modifier.

Moving past figures
One figure can generally move past another figure that is currently engaged in close combat without issue. However if a figure wishes to move through one or more squares that a figure who is currently not engaged in close combat could attack and that figure is aware of the moving figure and it has at least one Combat Action left then it may attempt to make an out-of-turn attack against the moving figure. The one exception is if this is the first Combat Round and the figure being moved past has not yet reached its first turn in which case the figure is not quick enough to respond. A figure may move past or even through a square containing a friendly figure without any issues.

If the figure being moved past elects to attack then the moving figure has three options: do nothing, evade or parry. Note that if the moving figure is running that it cannot take Defensive Combat Actions therefore its only option is to keep running and hope or to abort the run (which stops the movement) in order to defend.
If the moving figure elects to do nothing or to parry then if the attack is success, the movement stops immediately.
If the moving figure elects to evade and wins the opposed roll against the attack, the movement can continue. Note though that the moving figure has evaded therefore it cannot attack on its next turn.
The attack or defence can trigger Combat Manoeuvres as normal.
Mounted Figures
Generally the mount and rider act as one, using the rider's Combat Actions. So a knight on horseback could spend 1 CA to have their horse move then 2 CAs attacking and parrying adjacent enemies. With a successful Riding roll, a rider can move and act at the same time including attacking and parrying as part of the movement.
Some mounts are specially combat trained and can act on their own volition. This means that the mount can move using its own actions, freeing the rider up to concentrate on its own actions.
Combat Actions
Because movement is now a Combat Action rather than measured per round, bonus Combat Actions that are provided from a Combat Style can only be spent on actions using that style. E.g. a figure using a Sword & Shield Combat Style can only use the bonus action provided by the style to either attack or parry with either weapon. The bonus action cannot be used to move or to evade for example.

It is suggested that tokens ("Action Tokens") are placed on or beneath figures and removed each time an action is taken. Any bonus Action Tokens such as those from combat styles should be a different colour from the normal Action Tokens.
The appropriate number of Action Tokens should be set at the beginning of each Combat Round.
Effects which change a Figure's characteristics and therefore change their Combat Actions Attribute do not have an immediate effect but will change the number of Action Tokens placed next Combat Round. Similarly, events that give bonus actions such as picking up a shield do not provide the action token until next combat round. Note however that if a figure has a bonus action token for dual wielding and loses the use of one of the weapons before using the bonus token that there will be no way to use that bonus token before the end of the round so the token will, effectively, be wasted.
Effects which cause a figure to "lose" or "forfeit" their next X Combat Actions cause the figure to lose the appropriate number of Action Tokens. If the figure doesn't have enough left this Combat Round then it will lose the remainder on next combat round and even future combat rounds if necessary.

Free spin
Each time a figure declares an intent to take a Combat Action it can freely change orientation. So, if a figure is attacked from behind, providing the figure still has an action left it can declare a defence (parry or evade) and the turn around to face the attacker. This will prevent the attacker getting a bonus for attacking from behind. However, if the character does take a free spin it cannot afterwards decide not to take the action. Example. A figure is attacked from behind. The figure declares that it will spend a CA to turn and face the attacker so that it can parry. The attacker misses. Normally the attacked figure could choose not to parry after seeing the result but now it must spend the CA regardless of whether it wishes to parry or not.

How do you attack from behind? The easiest way is to use stealth so that the target is surprised, preventing it from taking an action. Alternately if you outnumber an opponent it will eventually run out of actions to defend itself. Similarly, if you have more than CAs than an opponent you can use change range to position yourself.

I'm planning on running MRQ2 with minis and a battlemat. I don't think I'll go into as much detail as what you have outlined here, though. Probably just wing it.

I prefer hex-based combat over squares. Eliminates the annoyance of diagonal movement.

I'm still debating on whether I'm going to use 1m or 2m squares. Leaning towards 1m.

I have been thinking of using hex grids and while you have given it more thought I still have one suggestion:

Deleriad said:
A figure's reach is equal to its smallest base size plus weapon reach. A human with a base size of 1x1 has a reach of 1 square all around it which means that it can attack any figure adjacent to it. If using a Long (L) or Very Long (VL) weapon, however, its reach is increased by 1, meaning that it can attack any figure that is 2 or fewer squares away.

Instead of having the weapon reach affect how far you can hit, why don't allow attacks always happen to the adjacent hex and print a number of counters marked T, S, M, L and VL. You place these counters between hexes to mark the distance which blows are exchanged. If one of the combatants change distance just change the counter instead of moving the figures. This way everyone can see their distance to their opponents easily.

Mikko Leho said:
I have been thinking of using hex grids and while you have given it more thought I still have one suggestion:

Deleriad said:

Instead of having the weapon reach affect how far you can hit, why don't allow attacks always happen to the adjacent hex and print a number of counters marked T, S, M, L and VL. You place these counters between hexes to mark the distance which blows are exchanged. If one of the combatants change distance just change the counter instead of moving the figures. This way everyone can see their distance to their opponents easily.

I see what you mean and it has its advantages. Part of where I'm coming from is a mix of having spent a fair time playing Mage Knight Dungeons (and other clix games) and also being quite keen on Savage Worlds. One of the aspects of a large figure (or one with a large weapon) is the ability to threaten a greater number of squares hence my suggestion. It also the ability to attack with a long spear "from the second rank" (e.g. formation fighting).

I would be tempted to use combat "range" tokens if using a tabletop without a grid: e.g. if using a ruler to measure ranges.

Thanks for posting this stuff. Its given me something to think about when dealing with gamers who only d20 and d&d.

This is really good stuff Deleriad, I think I might use this for my games using MRQ2's combat, except the players take their actions all at once, and must decide how many actions they will use for attack now, and defense later. My players don't like going around the table multiple times doing their actions one at a time.

Back