Using Conan rules in other campaigns

Sir Hackalot

Mongoose
Hi,
My fellow players were talking about restarting our D&D game and I was mentioning that I would really prefer to play Conan. The GM, (my wife) has no problem with the system but she prefers to use her own world instead of a published setting.

Has anyone tried this? Could it possibly work?

Sir Hackalot said:
Hi,
My fellow players were talking about restarting our D&D game and I was mentioning that I would really prefer to play Conan. The GM, (my wife) has no problem with the system but she prefers to use her own world instead of a published setting.

Has anyone tried this? Could it possibly work?

"she prefers to use her own world"
Don't they all really? :lol:

But seriously...

I've tinkered with using some Conan-type rules (DV, DR, Ref to INIT, etc.)
into D20 modern and found that this is great too.

Yep. I've been a part of 7 different campaigns since the Conan rules came out. Only 2 of them were actually set in Hyboria. It works fine.

Sometimes minor things needed to be reworked or tweaked (how minor really depends on the setting and what you want to change), but that's about it. Any competant GM with a day of free time to look over things and make adjustments can do it without any hassle.

But the question really is: What KIND of setting does she want to play in? Some settings are less easily adapted to Conan rules than others. I'd hate to be the GM trying to make a Conan-Faerun crossover...

After the Conan campaign that we will play next, I want to implement a great deal of the rules from Conan into Midnight.

As I read the rules I like them more, and think that they are much better. As for using the classes in other settings... I think it'll work best/only in low/no magic settings.

arnon

I have thought the same thing too. I really love the combat mechanics of Conan. What type of setting are you planning on using, and will you use the same magic system and spells as in Conan?

Well I'm currently cooking up a Mythical Greece game that will use the Conan books rather than Iron Heroes, as I had originally planned.

The only thing I really need to revamp, besides the equipment list, is spellcasting. I'm going to pick up The Scrolls of Skelos and suspend the concept of Corruption, as it doesn't seem to fit with the semi-divine spellcasters in Greek myth. (Although the schools of magic available to mortals will be quite limited).

I have recently posted this on Against the Shadow (the Midnight fan-site), in a thread discusing incorporation of Conan rules into Midnight:
Here is what i'm thinking of implementing:

1. The combat system. As is, and take it to Midnight (including Parry and Dodge, Armor as DR, helmets, Finess, etc.) I'm already using some of it, but the more I read the more I like.

2. Fate Points. Already using it partly.

3. Bonus Feats for advancing in your race's Favored class. (I see no problem with that)

4. Bonus skill points gained from high Int mod. can be used to buy ranks in any skill on a 1:1 ratio.

5. Magic/Sorcery. This has come to me recently... of using the Conan magic in Midnight instead of normal magic. Sorcery in Conan in very dangerous and may corrupt a person, especially if dealing with Demons. While it might need some deeper thinking to implement it, I think it can be very very cool (and I agree, Scrolls of Skelos is a great supplament)

6.HP and ability raise, as it appears in Conan

The thing that i'm most not sure about is the Sorcery... i'll have to ponder upon it some more.

arnon

Magic is the big question. I ran a Midnight campaign (loved it) and it uses a nerfed version of the D20 magic system (i.e. you can't get magic missile till 7th level i think?).

So, do you go with the Conan sorcery styles and spell list, or do you use D20? And, if you use D20, do you modify it to use Power Points, and how?

Midnight's spell system already uses Power Points (they call it Spell Energy), which is derived from you sepllcasting ability + channeler lvl.

What I was thinking was of taking the d20 magic and replace it with the Conan Sorcery. I'm not sure how I'd go about it, and I don't really have the time to think about it much, but it's a tempting idea...

arnon

Back