Thought experiment

Spartan159

Banded Mongoose
Ship computers are pretty much supercomputers... what would the effect be on research? how much bandwidth to return? Expert skill: Science (branch) /# gives you a certain bonus to skill, what if you throw a large bandwidth at a problem? Are there rules somewhere for research?

Why, yes! I did partake of a large quantity of coffee! /pokes the hivemind. :)

There are research rules buried in the Deepnight Revelations set - Book 3, Chapter 10, starting on page 79 (geeze, sounds like I'm quoting a Bible verse). I don't know if similar rules are buried somewhere else, but that's what comes to mind.

The Great Rift box set has a couple specialized research and science programs as well iirc.

Cannot by memory say if the same ones were used in Deepnight, will have to check my books.

Otherwise (going by memory here!) there’s no upper limit to the expert skill (?) so tossing enough bandwidth at it should give you an immense bonus to the skill check (?)

Great Rift Book 4 has some system surveying rules and software to aid research, so the two sets can work in conjunction (same author, so hopefully compatible).

Every possible known combination is simulated, and outcome determined.

27ab945255f5b36ed46ba7e05fe3ed15.jpg

Last edited:
Since it is a thought experiment...

how about a new book that covers science and technology in as much detail as possible, explores different paradigms for tech use, offers rules for scientific and engineering research ay the character level and the polity level and more importantly goes way beyond the soft cap of TL16....

T5 has a pretty good chapter on this, and the TNE Fire Fusion and Steel also offered technologies beyond the OTU norms and had an essay on designing your own tech development trees.

Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely dig into both Deepnight and Great Rift for juicy rules, and time to break out T5 again. A new book would be nice, to be sure. or maybe a JTAS entry at least.

I've been thinking of this a bit more. The old library data on Imperial research stations gives us a good place to start with exotic tech research in setting. The MegaTraveller research rules may be worth taking a loook at and adapting/expanding.

Then we have the high TL stuff from MegaTraveller, TNE, T4 and T5 - not to mention the alternate tech in MgT High Guard and TNE FF&S.

Then there is stuff that isn't in any of them but has turned up in sci fi literature and other media over the past few decades.

Back