The Riddle of Steel

Red Tulwar

Mongoose
Hail all!

Crom, it's been a while since I've posted. :lol: Just popped in to let you all know that I've added an excellent Conan-oriented PDF article to my website called "The Riddle of Steel", written by Silas A. DeBoer (aka Ravager of Worlds here in Forum-Land). Go to the Scarlet Blades site and click on the link to the Hyborian Lore page. Good stuff! :twisted:

Working as a blacksmith, weaponsmith or armorsmith is hard work, but doing so without guild or forge is even harder. With the right tools and facilities, a smith is a valued commodity to townsfolk and adventurers. A smith’s skill in crafting tools, armor and weapons is globally respected and work is rarely in short supply. A crafty smith may labor in a king’s armory or in a private practice, selling wares from the smith’s home and teaching an apprentice in exchange. The smith is a pillar of society and can rise to prominence in small communities. Larger cities attract more craftsmen who invariably form guilds to guard both reputation and business.

This article is meant to provide Games Masters and players with more options for their craftsman characters or NPCs. All rules are optional depending on the Games Master, since these rules may discourage the adventuresome spirit to pick up a hammer.

Oh, when I read the title I thought you were going to talk about this Riddle of Steel:

http://www.theriddleofsteel.net/

...which is a great looking Sword and Sorcery RPG. I probably would have purchased it if I hadn't grabbed Conan instead. I still intend to get it at some point, when I have the free time and money.

sbarrie, I highly recommed TRoS. It's a great game. Other than Conan it's the only fantasy rpg I bother with.

That's a nice PDF you got there. Thanks!

What'd you use to put it together?

InDesign and Acrobat 6.0 to reduce the file size. The layout graphics is Photohop 7.0

:)

grr... the above is me... forgot to login

lol

and the cover art is Vegas Mike at Deviantart- if you click on his name in the credits page, you'll pull up his gallery. I suggest that Forum users check him out :)

Hey MikeJW, how is the riddle of steel rpg? I have heard good things, and have looked at the basic ruleset on the website, but I have heard the campaign world which they unfortunately included in the corerulebook is very dry and boring.

Also, does the book have glossy pages? (I assume its black and white ofcourse). And how is themagic system? I've heard that its too real world termsy...i.e. they use things like atmic molecules, and stuff lke that to describe spells. :shock:

Ravager_of_Worlds said:
and the cover art is Vegas Mike at Deviantart- if you click on his name in the credits page, you'll pull up his gallery. I suggest that Forum users check him out :)

Hmmm... I just downloaded this, and there was no cover art - just red text on a white background.

The campaign world in TRoS isn't too bad. The rules are easily ported to other setting if you want. I've ran TRoS using GURPs Vikings and it was one of my better campaigns. It's not too far of a stretch to run TRoS with Conan. The magic system is very powerful. If you can think of a spell theres a system to determine how difficult it is to cast. Theres a drawback, since theres a corresponding chance you'll age. I've seen some people use corruption from Conan rather than aging though. I don't remember anything about molecules :wink: . The pages aren't glossy. It's actually a good system to run in any fantasy or historical genre but remember combat is very deadly. Theres a supplement coming out in the fall with added combat options and theres a bestiary book as well.

Hmmm... I just downloaded this, and there was no cover art - just red text on a white background.

Get the latest version of Adobe Reader. This PDF was made using InDesign and file reduced using Adobe 6.0. You need the latest version of Adobe Reader. Then you can see the pretty cover :)

Back