Suggestion For Mongoose: A Conan Book I'd Like To See.

One of the major hassels of the d20 system for the GM is prep time. What this game needs are some aids that minimize pre-game preparation.

What I'd like to see is a book focussed on NPCs.

First, I'd like it to incorporate some sort of NPC engine that would allow me to create detailed NPCs quickly, on the spot, in a game, with full stats. I'm thinking of a few tables and a few quick dice throws when I think of how this engine will work, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it. Maybe there's a better way to do it.

The end result, though, needs to provide a method that a GM can use to throw an NPC together very quickly--something that will be useful to the GM whether he is prepping his game or in need of an NPC suddenly during a game.

The above will be the meat of the book, but I think the book should also include some pre-made, fully statted, NPCs that also includes some like background material about them--say one or two NPCs per page, with illo. All sorts of NPCs will be needed, of all levels, from all over Hyboria.

I used to use a similar supplement when I ran my D6 Star Wars game, and that book was so incredibly useful. I strung together whole campaigns using some of those NPCs.

So, what I'm looking for here are some major personalities, of all levels, classes, and cultures, to put into a game. These will be new characters never before seen in any Conan tale.

Supplement this with a section of nameless NPCs, also fully statted, that can be dropped into a campaign at a moment's notice. I'm talking about generic NPCs here: soldiers, citizens, merchants, thieves, thugs. Set these guys up on a table, not unlike an encounter table for a certain type of terrain--except the terrain will be labeled "wilderness encounters", "city encounters", "Asgard encounters", and the like.

Finally, the book could come to a close with a section on important NPCs to the Hyborian Age--NPCs that have been mentioned in Conan's stories but never before written up in any other Mongoose publication. Various kings and sorcerers could be included. Limited background would be needed for these guys. Instead, a mention to where the character can be found in Conan's literature will be indicated.

Last, but not least, there should be an index listing all the other NPCs ever written up in a Mongoose Conan publication--something GMs can use to look up characters already statted and presented in other works.

The major part of this book (and what makes it useful) is the NPC engine mentioned at the top of this post. THAT'S what will make the book worth buying. That engine should spit out fully statted d20 Conan NPCs in a fraction of the time it takes for a GM to make one himself.

And, I imagine this book being used in two ways: When the GM is prepping a game, or when the GM quickly needs stats for an NPC during a game.

Thoughts, people?

Did I leave anything out?

Will you find this type of book as useful as I would?

Yes. Together with stats for Conan as verious stages of his life.

Stats of mid and high level sorcerors would be particularly useful.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
Yes. Together with stats for Conan as verious stages of his life.

Conan, fully statted, shows up in a few Mongoose books. The index at the back of the book I suggest should point to those write ups, and maybe this book can fill in some missing areas.

I agree that an NPC book could be usefull, with different scenario hooks for each of them, how they could be allies or ennemies of the PCs, depending of the situation and this king of stuff.

What would not like to see is stats. It's taking far too much space for what it's worth (basically level, 2 main skills, defense, to hit and main weapon). Trying to provide the complete OGL stat block is a waste of space (provide the main info only) and a waste of time (it's always wrong).

What is important is the backgroung of the NPC and its motivations.

The stats could be a pdf-only, that can be easilly corrected when necessary.

W.

Once upon a time Vincent posted a ton of generic nPeeps of various levels. I think I have it as a Word file on my home computer. Also, there was this discussion about an nPeep generator back in 2005.

As to the book, yeah, I could use a resource like that for sure. Something like the WotC 3.0 product Enemies and Allies, but better!

warzen said:
What would not like to see is stats. It's taking far too much space for what it's worth (basically level, 2 main skills, defense, to hit and main weapon). Trying to provide the complete OGL stat block is a waste of space (provide the main info only) and a waste of time (it's always wrong).

What is important is the backgroung of the NPC and its motivations.

While I agree that NPC background and motivations are important, so are the stat blocks to one who runs d20 Conan.

That's the point of the whole book--to save the GM time in creating those stat blocks himself.

Ever done that for a game? I'm sure you have. It takes foreeevvveeerrr.

The idea for this book came to me as I came up with an idea for a new scenario for my group but dreaded the amount of work it would take me to create the NPC stats before the game started.

A book like this would be a tool to create those types of stats quickly, easily, painlessly.

I should add to the OP that notes on customizing the NPC stat generator should be given should a GM want to include feats or skills that aren't already a part of the engine (say...feats and skills that are published after this book).

Directions on using the nPeeps?

Just throw a d20 and use the entire line? So, basically, there are 20 NPCs charted on that sheet. Right?

Something like this, but not quite, is what I'm thinking for the NPC generator in the book I propose. But, I'd like to make, say, 12 3rd level Cimmerians without all of them having the same stats and feats.

Not that Vincent's nPeeps aren't useful. The charts are very useful. I would just like to see this NPC book deliver more than that.

There's 20 levels of nPeeps on a page. So if you need 3 9th level Barbarians you just reference the line with the bolded 9 on the left. And there's pages of those suckers from all sorts of races with different class abilities and feats depending on where they're from. Nothing on skills, so these are really for combat encounters. I agree a published book would need to have more content to get my $$$ but for quick and dirty play in the meantime, these have served me well.

flatscan said:
There's 20 levels of nPeeps on a page. So if you need 3 9th level Barbarians you just reference the line with the bolded 9 on the left.

Cool. And, I thank Vincent for that. But, I'd like to have 3 9th level barbarians that aren't the exact same--maybe an archer, a woodsman/tracker, and one veteran of Venarium who's unmattched in the face-to-face grind. Feats to support these differing individuals.

That's what I'd like the book to spit out.

And Nothing on skills, so these are really for combat encounters.

I missed 'em the first glance, too, but Vincent included skills. At least, some of the more common ones. They're on the second chart.

The old James Bond 007 RPG by Victory Games had a fantastic NPC section in the main rule book--a section that does what I describe above. A few throws, and you've got various, differing, but appropriate NPCs, fully statted, to use in your game, that you can roll up on a whim.

Now, the d20 system and that used in the 007 rpg are widely different systems. But, if I were writing such a book, I'd look at how such a thing was done well in the past.

It sure was a time saver, and this type of thing sure would be handy in a Conan game.

I hear ya Supplement. Was just trying to offer some of the resources that are currently out there. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but in a pinch, having those charts at the game table can't hurt. :D

Did you take a look at that Excel NPC generator I linked up above? You can download it from Thulsa's site.

You know what? I dont want a book of NPCs.

What I want is a char-gen program like Redblade but not like the crappy chargen programs WOTC put out. Simple to use program, small, easy way to level up a character or modify him.....

I would pay 30 bucks for software like that.

flatscan said:
I hear ya Supplement. Was just trying to offer some of the resources that are currently out there. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but in a pinch, having those charts at the game table can't hurt. :D

Hey, don't think I'm not grateful for what you did post! Thanks! Double thanks!

Did you take a look at that Excel NPC generator I linked up above? You can download it from Thulsa's site.

Just downloaded it, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks, thrice!

Scorpion13 said:

What I want is a char-gen program like Redblade but not like the crappy chargen programs WOTC put out. Simple to use program, small, easy way to level up a character or modify him.....

I come from a Traveller background, and there are tons of fan-made programs out there (none of them are specific to the rules, though...). Lots of fan-created Traveller material.

I would think, as popular as d20 is, that there'd be some similar programs for d20 games.

I mentioned the 007 RPG above. Even it's got a nice program for character creation, professional looking, free, fan made, downlodable. Why is it d20 Conan doesn't have anyhthing like that? (Maybe there is, and I just don't know it exists).

Maybe I'm missng them, but I sure haven't seen them yet. Maybe the science-fiction background of Traveller draws more computer programmers than Conan does.

But, yes, if Mongoose put out a brilliant piece of software that could spit out any type of character you wanted in minutes, from random result, to limited random result, to completely custom picks, you bet. I'd buy that sucker, too.

If it did what I want it to do.

Supplement Four said:
Scorpion13 said:

I come from a Traveller background, and there are tons of fan-made programs out there (none of them are specific to the rules, though...). Lots of fan-created Traveller material.

I would think, as popular as d20 is, that there'd be some similar programs for d20 games.

I mentioned the 007 RPG above. Even it's got a nice program for character creation, professional looking, free, fan made, downlodable. Why is it d20 Conan doesn't have anyhthing like that? (Maybe there is, and I just don't know it exists).

Maybe I'm missng them, but I sure haven't seen them yet. Maybe the science-fiction background of Traveller draws more computer programmers than Conan does.

But, yes, if Mongoose put out a brilliant piece of software that could spit out any type of character you wanted in minutes, from random result, to limited random result, to completely custom picks, you bet. I'd buy that sucker, too.

If it did what I want it to do.

Well, Redblade is my goto chargen program for 3.5, but it doesnt have anything outside of the basic 3 rulebooks.

Conan doesnt have different magic systems and stuff like that. Just being able to make a character with stuff from the basic rulebook and maybe with the spells and stuff from Secrets of Skelos would be terrific for me.

I really like Conan's emphasis on Skills, but there are so many modifiers and whatnot that it can really slow things down if youre just trying to whip up some bad guys.

There is a book titled "Foes" from a system that must not be named, that had stat blocks for 1200 NPCs and some monsters already. And every one was diferent. Even adventureing partys that had similar power folks of different capabilities. It is around 30 years old, and I still use my copy regularly.

A book like that for coana would be a must buy for me.

That is often the main reason I buy modules. I can do my own storys, but pumping out NPCs is a pain sometimes, especialy as I try to pregen
most posible encounters.

Back