Standard Point Buy (For a P-Rating)....

ronbogard

Mongoose
I was thinking that if a person uses the Standard Point Buy system as in the DM Guide (Page 19). That some of the points could be used to buy a P-Rating. Here is the table I am working on.
P-Rating----Point Cost
1-2 -------------- 1
3-5----------------2
6-8----------------3
9-12--------------4
The PC still only gets 25 points to buy Attributes and a P-Rating.

I see no need for the point buy for telepatic abilities since there are other restrictions in place for that character class.

Sidney

Actually on a semi-related note one of the guys out here running a B5 game came up with a house rule to let anyone with psi powers use attribute increases to boost psi ratings. It's suppsoed to represent a lot of training and the like.

Just something to think about.

I can see using attribute point increases to affect Psi raiting, but how far can you go? Say someone starts out as a P12...at level 20, they could end up at P16!!

I have 1 player who is P13, a human Psi Cop who is a Vorlon Agent. The Vorlons boosted her...I think only such cases should be allowed for Psi Rating boosting.

Abraxus

Abraxus said:
I can see using attribute point increases to affect Psi raiting, but how far can you go? Say someone starts out as a P12...at level 20, they could end up at P16!!

I have 1 player who is P13, a human Psi Cop who is a Vorlon Agent. The Vorlons boosted her...I think only such cases should be allowed for Psi Rating boosting.

Abraxus

I have a player that wants to play a P12+ too and I have said "Sure, come up with a story like Lyta" (but of course, not exactly like hers). Did you just allow it or did she have to come up with a complex background?

Personnaly, and like El Cid, I don't feel the need to alter the current rules. I think a lot of "power-gamers" want to get the ultimate telepath, but for me as a GM, I would never accept that. I understand why someone would like to play a Lyta (season 5) or a Ironheart, but I think Bester is strong enough as it is*. Allowing a powered-up telepath would unbalance the game and make the other players regretting not taking the telepath class. Just like the old West End Games Star Wars where a jedi would not really need the rest of the party.

My group is composed of storyteller types mainly, but when we feel the need for real munchkin games with over-the-top combat and looting, we play Star Wars D20 or some fantasy. For me B5 is not about uber-power but character achievement. Wonder and revelation. Woo, I almost sound like G'Kar at times... :wink: but you get the idea. Of course YMMV and do what you will, since it's your game...

* Warning - Spoiler for the Psi-Corps trilogy :

Even though Bester is shown as cunning and powerful, Garibaldi the "normal" was able to catch him and best him in the end (with a little luck, yes, but still).

Actually the minor boosts that I mentioned have been considered for psi-corps members that are commercial telepaths, no one that I know of out here is playing a psi-cop. At any rate stuff like that is more along the lines of use at your own discretion.

Since all starting P rateing are variable, I don't see a problem using attribute points to "buy" the starting rateing withing the range allowed.

Sidney

The way the Telepath class is currently structured, there is a significant effect on skills and hit points when a higher rated teep is choosen.

The points buy doesn't take this into account IMHO.

As a GM, I say if you want your charectors to have the ability to raise their P rating then alow them to, but tweek the other classes so that they can be more powerfull as well. It's a balance thing. thats why they have negatives the higher the P rating. I do agree that the PC's in just about any game you run should be the "movers and shakers" in the world. they should be comparatively powerful to the above average NPC. And that alows you to be more mean when it comes to the main "bad" guys. :twisted:

Shalazar
Never trust a smiling Games Master, especially when its me!

The points buy doesn't take this into account IMHO

WOW, Can you be my GM? I would have your world taken over in about..... hmmmm 2 game days. :wink: JK.

I would gladly give up 4 stat/ability points to get the skill points, hit points and the extra feet given to a P2 teep. All day every day. A power gamers dream. I mean, who needs physical ability if they can have a whole room full of Mindless soldiers at their beck and call.

Shalazar
I would have made a great Keeper! :twisted:

shalazar, that's all well and good until you slip, don't have one person fully controlled, and you eat that live grenade. Even if you live it could screw you up.

shalazar_bation said:
WOW, Can you be my GM? I would have your world taken over in about..... hmmmm 2 game days. :wink: JK.

I would gladly give up 4 stat/ability points to get the skill points, hit points and the extra feet given to a P2 teep. All day every day. A power gamers dream. I mean, who needs physical ability if they can have a whole room full of Mindless soldiers at their beck and call.

Shalazar
I would have made a great Keeper! :twisted:

Hmm, morph gas, explosive decompression, sleepers, space combat, open psi-corp hatred. Ahh the many reasons telepaths even when united, haven't taken over things on earth or through the galaxy, they are way to fragile.

Psyjack

Thats a generalized statement that can be used for any race, sect, speicies, bub spiecies or what ever. in the grand sceam of things.... yes I would agree with you, cause no one can take over anything.... I mean who are those shadow guys again?

Shalazar
Ahhh, now this is living!

Back