Some errors about the Kalkoth

Nyxator

Mongoose
While reading the bestiary of the LWRPG, I noticed some errors regarding the Kalkoth: the text says they have four venomous fangs, but in gamebook 3 we are told: "The *barb of a Kalkoth's tongue* holds a powerful venom".

Besides, from gamebook 5: "Had it not been for Banedon's timely casting of a spell of illusion, they would be after you still. You cannot help but laugh when you picture their faces, when they saw the Kalkoth leaping at them; thank the gods they did not think to question how a *Kalte ice-beast* came to be roaming the streets of their town".
Instead, in the bestiary they are described as living in many caverns of Magnamund.

Finally, their description doesn't match with the one given in the gamebooks (nor with the picture: http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect147.htm), and the plural should be Kalkoth, not Kalkoths. :)
Sorry for the nitpicking. :D

This probably is due to the same reasons August explained in the Dentaag thread.

Also, the Environment section of the Kalkoth states "Underground, usually cold." I'm guessing its not limited to Kalte so that Lone Wolf GMs can use them freely anywhere if they wish.

Eternalknight said:
This probably is due to the same reasons August explained in the Dentaag thread.

Ok, let's suppose that in Joe Dever's notes there are different versions of the Kalkoth (or Dentaag which, BTW, appear as large insectoids in two gamebooks). Why choose the one that is inconsistent with the gamebooks? :?

Lone Wolf only met a Kalkoth (or two, or three) in Kalte; he may not have realized they existed elsewhere. Banedon might have encountered them in other lands, otherwise he might have summoned a different creature's illusion.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
The Kalkoth illustration in Book 3 doesn't have 6 legs. Why does the LWRPH bestiary say that Kalkoth have 6 legs?

Possibly because that was in Joe Dever's notes, and Gary Chalk used artistic license when he drew the picture. August Hahn had access to all of JD's notes on Magnamund, and occasionnally there were conflicting information, depending on the source (gamebooks, newsletters, JD's notes).

columbob said:
Balgin Stondraeg said:
The Kalkoth illustration in Book 3 doesn't have 6 legs. Why does the LWRPH bestiary say that Kalkoth have 6 legs?

Possibly because that was in Joe Dever's notes, and Gary Chalk used artistic license when he drew the picture. August Hahn had access to all of JD's notes on Magnamund, and occasionnally there were conflicting information, depending on the source (gamebooks, newsletters, JD's notes).

Yeah but I've got a pair of beautiful Kalkoth miniatures (really old Citadel temple dog/lion things from their oriental army list) and they've only got four legs so I'm sticking with them for now :).

Back