So it would appear Mongoose will publish first:

Bygoneyrs

Mongoose
Hello everyone,

Ok it would appear that Mongoose will publish two books at first:

- Core Rulebook
- High Guard

So does anyone know if their High Guard book is going to just be a reprint of the former High Guard supplement?

Also the Core Rulebook, what size and how many pages is that volumn going to be? Anyone have any thoughts of this?

Penn

I think only people at the goose would know. What was in the original high guard book anyway?

More precisely it has rules for creating detailed Naval Characters, Some starship operations, a ship construction system designed to supplement the system in book 2, and an alternate starship combat system, and sample starships.

I'd imagine the character creation stuff will be rolled up into the core rules and Mongoose High Gaurd will concentrate on the starship specific areas.

You are 100% correct...!!! I still would like to hear what Mongoose has planned to include with it! I hope they expand on it then as well too!

Penn

Given the Traveller rules are getting a re-write/re-jig, then I'm certain the same will apply to all the supplements to follow. Calling the book 'High Guard' simply plays on the familiarity (some have) with the originals. Given Gareth H. is hard at work still writing the core rules, I think we can only push so far with questions about what the future holds...

Paul

I really hope the High Guard rules include ship design, based on the original (well second edition) but with the many years of "improvements" that have been flogged to death.

PaulB said:
Given Gareth H. is hard at work still writing the core rules, I think we can only push so far with questions about what the future holds...

Gareth is WRITING the rules. That doesn't mean that there isn't an outline previously developed inhouse from which he and everyone else at Mongoose are working from. Remember Mongoose employs 20-some people and msprange said sometime ago that something like 8 people there are going to be working on Traveller (off and on, IIRC). Plus there are some traveller big-namers freelancing and they have to have something to work from.

I would love to see a complete resource set up specifically in designing and fluishing out UWP and the solar systems. Coming up with all sorts of possible resources and products found. A single complete resource usable to come up with all sorts of details for a system solarsystem, and possible situations and encounters to find.

Penn

dmccoy1693 said:
Gareth is WRITING the rules. That doesn't mean that there isn't an outline previously developed inhouse from which he and everyone else at Mongoose are working from. Remember Mongoose employs 20-some people and msprange said sometime ago that something like 8 people there are going to be working on Traveller (off and on, IIRC). Plus there are some traveller big-namers freelancing and they have to have something to work from.

All true. For example, I can tell you that in the core book, you will be able to buy ships and make certain modifications to them. However, it will be High Guard that gives you the entire ship design system.

I can also tell you that Mercenary will appear before High Guard, and both will be quickly followed by Beltstrike (a non-setting specific campaign set in, umm, an asteroid belt) and 760 Patrons, which together should give new players more than enough adventuring material to kick off with.

However, we'll also be keeping some secrets :)

msprange said:
760 Patrons, which together should give new players more than enough adventuring material to kick off with.

However, we'll also be keeping some secrets :)

Seven-hundred and sixty... and I thought the original 76 patrons was incredibly awesome... Ten times that awesomeness may just be lethal...

I can see the warning label now: WARNING: Book so Awesome, your head WILL EXPLODE.

msprange said:
I can also tell you that Mercenary will appear before High Guard, and both will be quickly followed by Beltstrike (a non-setting specific campaign set in, umm, an asteroid belt) and 760 Patrons, which together should give new players more than enough adventuring material to kick off with.

Um... is Mongoose actually doing anything original with Traveller? Y'know, rather than just re-doing old books (even if it's just the names that are the same, it still reeks of not getting past the 1970s...)? Is this just going to be one endless re-release of old material that's tweaked to fit the new system?

I mean, come on guys. Surely you can think of more original names for a books about Mercenaries and Ship Design and an Asteroid Belt setting than rehashing old names (and more original book covers, for that matter).

EDG said:
I mean, come on guys. Surely you can think of more original names for a books about Mercenaries and Ship Design and an Asteroid Belt setting than rehashing old names (and more original book covers, for that matter).

The _material_ will be original - however, we would be very foolish _not_ to capitalise on older titles. . .

msprange said:
The _material_ will be original - however, we would be very foolish _not_ to capitalise on older titles. . .

I guess that makes sense if you're only interested in getting the attention of existing Classic Traveller fans... but it doesn't do much for anyone else IMO.

I dunno, it just seems devastatingly bland and unadventurous to me. You're going to have a hard time convincing people that your material is original if it looks exactly like CT.

Isn't that what publicity, advertising, reviews, previews and fan clamour are all about? There are methods to get a new product out there without confusing it with the old.

Paul

Looking at the threads both here and on RPG.net, I don't think we are having trouble getting the Traveller message out to a wider audience. . .

EDG said:
msprange said:

I guess that makes sense if you're only interested in getting the attention of existing Classic Traveller fans... but it doesn't do much for anyone else IMO.

I dunno, it just seems devastatingly bland and unadventurous to me. You're going to have a hard time convincing people that your material is original if it looks exactly like CT.

The not yeet existing Traveller fans have presumably not had the titles Mercenary, High Guard and Beltstrike drilled into their heads since, y'know, they're not Traveller fans.

Back