Shipyard Maintenance

dmclean62 said:
Yes, the ship would have to have a workshop, and yes, the raw materials, but these raw materials would be easily available at any star port. Plus, they would be cheaper and easier to find than the correct finished parts.
Certainly. Of course your makertech corporations would try to make you buy only their "right" brand of blue, yellow, red and black goo. "Don't be cheap, only buy Ling-Standard Products ready.made XTR goo! Available at every Imperial licensed highport!"

This gets cyberpunk-dystopian fast, with cheap, hacked ressource-goos and knock-off brands for cheap money. I like the idea, but it might be not everybody's cup of tea. There seems to be a faction of Traveller players, who enjoy a more 70s/80s computer hardware style of game.

Maintenance is really simplified and incredibly cheap in Traveller.

If you wanted to go into the nuts and bolts of it, you could categorize which pieces of equipment require close supervision and careful maintenance, and others that you can safely ignore, possibly on a per usage basis, rather than continual upkeep.

Ursus Maior said:
dmclean62 said:
Yes, the ship would have to have a workshop, and yes, the raw materials, but these raw materials would be easily available at any star port. Plus, they would be cheaper and easier to find than the correct finished parts.
Certainly. Of course your makertech corporations would try to make you buy only their "right" brand of blue, yellow, red and black goo. "Don't be cheap, only buy Ling-Standard Products ready.made XTR goo! Available at every Imperial licensed highport!"

This gets cyberpunk-dystopian fast, with cheap, hacked ressource-goos and knock-off brands for cheap money. I like the idea, but it might be not everybody's cup of tea. There seems to be a faction of Traveller players, who enjoy a more 70s/80s computer hardware style of game.

Yeah, I thought "The Difference Engine" was a fun read, but I wouldn't want to adventure in that universe. "The Diamond Age" though - that would be interesting. I have no interest in pushing my ideas on people who aren't interested, but I definitely have my own ideas on what the future looks like, technologically.

Back