Ship Data Sheet

leopard

Mongoose
First up, hello from the land of concrete cows, roundabouts and lost motorists.

Picked up VaS at Campaign 2013, along with the River Plate starter set (both are currently at my FLGS in Barnsley* to try and get the gaming group playing this).

Made a turning template easily enough, but will probably make a better "C" shaped one as the one I have will get in the way once I own more than four ships, open to suggestions on what is actually practical.

Anyway to break with a tradition of mine, on with the point of the post.

I have browsed about a bit, and seen some nice ship data sheets, all of which have two things in common:
1, they are very nicely done
2, they appear to be aimed at: print-laminate-drywipe

Tried that years ago with other games, gave up, it works for some but not for me. I prefer printing something, using a pencil until its unusable then printing another. First thought was just to photocopy the rulebook pages but I like damage tracks etc.

Second pass was very basic, damage boxes for the damage and crew, plus weapon stats - very quick and dirty but just to start playing.

Discovered a few things, and have come up with the format below:

ssd.test.png

1. Has the critical hit chart on it, I got fed up with finding it in the book - was this or spiral bind the book to leave it open at that page
2, has a summary of weapon special rules on it
3, nice damage and crew check off boxes, plus a track for fires and space to mark off which critical hits have been inflicted (alongside the table, couldn't think of any other way of doing it)
4, ammo tracks for fighters (will revise once I have OOB)
5, nice picture found via google images, serves no real purpose but looks nice.

Designed to be black and white for cheaper printing, plenty of white space for making notes. Plan to use with counters for Special Actions.

Open to thoughts/suggestions, have yet to try using these but they answer the points I had from the first few games, there is an error on this one (Ark Royal isn't "Agile"), and the layout could perhaps do with changing.

They are designed to print at A4 size, but are perfectly usable at A5 also - leaves stacks of space for notes.

Q: what else do people find useful for actually playing the game? counters? templates?

* For a given value of "local" naturally, long story

That looks very nice, any chance of a copy once you have perfected it ?

also where did you get the top down plan view of ark royal from ?

pdf of this one, with the "agile" removed

http://www.aleopardstail.com/pics/Ark-Royal-Class-CV.pdf

As for where the picture came from, no idea, google search I did late one evening when playing with these - there seem to be a fair few pics of various ships if you search for the ship class name and "line drawing" or "recognition drawing" IIRC all I did was rotate the image.

If the image is yours let me know and will either credit it or remove it as you wish.

ok thanks for the link

no no the image isnt mine i was just curious where it was from as it is very good.

thanks Pete

You can check my stuff if you like not as pretty as your but I have alot.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show.php?i=1167411&cat=1&fclick=y

Ray

I saw them, and downloaded them, they are nice - though having Open Office on a Mac as opposed to Word on Windows makes them slow to open - are the graphics embedded in the documents or linked live from the net?

Many thanks for the comment on "pretty", mine were intended to be simple to create and cheap to print - as to be disposable more than laminated and re-used - different goal really.

Yours are however perfectly functional, and a lot smaller which will probably count for something in larger games - I'm thinking of combining destroyers etc so a couple are on one page.

Can recommend yours as well worth a look as a complete set though :)

Just embeded I was adding pics then decided against it but going back and reworking all the sheets is a real job mostly I just made sure the ships are accurate to the game. The ships I play more often have graffics removed and are cleaned up mostly British and Italian but anyone using them may do as they wish.
I have in the last couple of months been so busy with VAS II that they have fallen to the wayside. Then with my health issues I have slowed down on all of my gaming work. but now I am trying to get into the swing of things again I have been working on a format for the new rules and sheets to follow the rules which is very time consuming, but for any gamer who buys the new rules when they come out they will find them invaluble.
Ray

Back