The Shadow fleet...???

• is a well balanced fleet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • is unbalanced and cheesy.

• is a fleet not worth playing.

• Total voters
...is not really applicable at this time, as the Shadow (and Vorlon) fleets will be changing in a couple of months with the release of Armegeddon.

If you're looking for a opinion of the existing (SFOS) Shadow fleet - well, it's undepowered in my opinion. [go go Armegeddon!]

Fin-man

Yeah - it's a case of the SFoS Shadow fleet is underpowered, the Tournament list is overpowered (just the Hunter is though) and the Armageddon list will probably be balanced but we just don't know yet...

Assuming you get the Armageddon book though, this list will usually supercede the SFoS list and the Tournament list has a simple fix (reduce the Hunter's hull to 5) that hopefully will be made official at some point.

I lost game 3 in the KOTJ because I couldn't take down a shadow ship quick enough. at battle PL we only got in 3 turns and the bugger still had about 40 hull damage left. he'd taken about 3 skirmish ships out and beat me 9-0 ... oh well. If I'd concentrated on a hunter instead of a shadow vessel I might have gotten it.

Chern

Triggy said:
Assuming you get the Armageddon book though, this list will usually supercede the SFoS list and the Tournament list has a simple fix (reduce the Hunter's hull to 5) that hopefully will be made official at some point.
However, as it's no secret that the Armageddon list will increase Shadow Ships to Armageddon level, the Shadow Fleet List wll no longer be viable at all for a standard 5-point Raid PL game...

Wulf

Hm...now that's an interesting mix of opinions. I am considering starting a Shadow Fleet, just because they are so cool as models and as a race from the B5 series, but I wasn't sure as to how others viewed them. One of my friends said it would be best to not play them, since they can be a very difficult fleet to beat, which would make playing me, as a shadow player, not very fun; and that's something that has held me back from deciding fully. I don't care so much if they're underpowered, since I have a fair share of experience in playing underpowred forces, I was just concerned that I wouldn't get to play much because no one would want to play against my fleet...But every time I look at those ships I just get this...chill of excitement. Such a sexy fleet. X3

At the moment they're just not tough enough, although I'll admit to being on the side of cannon Shadows, not balanced gameplay ...
That said, I think the damage values are too low, and their vulnerability to fighters is excessive.

Looking forward to armageddon!!!

Until Armageddon comes out if you use the tourney lists but knock the hunter down to hull 5 they are in my oppinion a nicely balanced list, nasty, manueverable as hell, very hard to kill and whilst they SEEM to lack firepower at first they just dont lose that firepower for ages and ages and by the time they start to the enemy fleet no longer has the power to take them out half the time. They are quite vulnerable to long range fire though (minbari/centauri etc)

Wulf Corbett said:
Triggy said:
However, as it's no secret that the Armageddon list will increase Shadow Ships to Armageddon level, the Shadow Fleet List wll no longer be viable at all for a standard 5-point Raid PL game...

Wulf
Depending on whether this supercedes the Shadow Tournament list for one-off game play anyway, then again - you'd know...

Won't the shadows have any ships below Armageddon level, I mean a War level ship is only 4 raid points, unless that's changing as well.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Won't the shadows have any ships below Armageddon level, I mean a War level ship is only 4 raid points, unless that's changing as well.
I'd consider it a fairly poor Shadow Fleet with no Shadow Ship, myself...

It'll also severely limit their usefullness in campaigns.

Wulf

To be fair, I would be happy to have 'broken' Vorlons and Shadows for scenarios and 'GM forces' for special campaings etc.

Trying to make first ones into a blanaced tournament lists just never really felt quite right :( (And for those purposes I really like the current tourney lists (even the Vorlons)

I have a 100% record with the SFoS Shadow fleet so far (3/3 without loosing a ship and totally anhialating the enemy in 2 of the games). My tactics have been to hunt in packs and hide whenever possible.

After all it was the mystic (not the fact) of their invinciblilty which made them so feared.

Maybe I have just been lucky.

I am playing them in a campaign so will await further results before voting.

Keith said:
After all it was the mystic (not the fact) of their invinciblilty which made them so feared.

Well the deal is that they can always phase out if they get too damaged. They may not always take their objective, but they are the supremem fleet for hit and run type tactics. Fight untill your ships are half damaged, destroy a few enemy ships in the process and then just disappear.

Wulf Corbett said:
, the Shadow Fleet List wll no longer be viable at all for a standard 5-point Raid PL game...

Wulf

Which is probably as it should be. I've always thought having the Shadows and Vorlons so available at pretty much any level of play was a bad idea.

I think that the current Shadow Fleet listgives the right "Shadow feeling" when playing it; as others have mentioned before, they are superb in Hit-and-Run attacks, getting in, destroying important targets, and getting out again before they can be seriously hurt - just like what they did in the series.

I don´t think that they are really that hard to beat, unless the Shadow player knows exactly what he is doing; playing them to full effectiveness is possibly harder than beating them (which of course is still a challenge).

@SylvrDragon: If you love the miniatures and the background that much, just go ahead and start your fleet, you´ll have loads of fun with it. There seems to be only one fleet which people really hate to play about, the Minbari, and there have been endless discussions about wether they are balanced/beatable - and still, even as a Minbari player you can usually get people to play against you, so there should be no real problem with the Shadows (all of this is based on SFOS of course; things might be very different when Armageddon finally comes out - the ships will still look cool, though!)

Currently the SFoS list is too weak and shadows just get thrashed.

The tournament list is MUCH better (the hunter needs to be hull 5 but most people use this houserule now anyway)

The Armaggedon list Im hoping will feel more like the shadows off the show (as in truly scary shadow ships, though the tourney versions are pretty good). Even if they became non tourney legal I would still rather have REAL Shadows (and Vorlons).

But seriously, if you use either of the ancient fleets currently you REALLY need to use the tournament lists unless you enjoy pain ;)

Keith said:
I have a 100% record with the SFoS Shadow fleet so far (3/3 without loosing a ship and totally anhialating the enemy in 2 of the games). My tactics have been to hunt in packs and hide whenever possible.

Maybe I have just been lucky.

I am playing them in a campaign so will await further results before voting.

Yeah, Hash did that in a game against me. He died horribly, from the amount of withering fire he recieved. If you play a shadow fleet wrong, you get mauled. But you play a shadow fleet right, they are awesome.

Keep the Battle crabs to a minunum, and deploy loads of Shadow scouts

Reaverman said:
Yeah, Hash did that in a game against me. He died horribly, from the amount of withering fire he recieved.

You'd think Reaverman would *eventually* stop bringing that ONE victory up eh? I've given as good as I've got SINCE then!

I do agree though that the SFoS Shadows are a little on the weak side...it all depends really if you can play with terrain and at higher PLs take quite a few scouts to round out the fleet. Just don't try to go toe to toe with folks, "hit and run" is a motto to live by. Oh and also *never* take an SFoS Shadow Hunter...the worst battle level ship in the game IMO. (Conversely the Tourney Hunter punches well above it's weight!)

Back