Ruins of Hyboria rocks!

thulsa

Mongoose
Just got Ruins of Hyboria today, and from quick read-through I can say that this seems like one of the best books in the series so far!

Especially liked the numerous maps, the monster and NPC stats, and all the tables for random generation of ruins. Makes preparing this sort of adventures so much easier...

Excellent work, Vincent!

Now if we could also have a similar book for the Cities of Hyboria... :)

- thulsa

thulsa said:
Just got Ruins of Hyboria today, and from quick read-through I can say that this seems like one of the best books in the series so far!

Excellent work, Vincent!

Thank you. I didn't think that book would be out for another month.

thulsa said:

- thulsa

I'd be willing to write it if Mongoose wants it.

VincentDarlage said:
Thank you. I didn't think that book would be out for another month.

True, it's listed as a June release, but who am I to complain? :)

Anyway, I must say I'm impressed with the number of books you've written over the last year or so. Just out of curiosity, how far ahead are you (usually) of the release schedule, ie how many books have you written for the Conan line that have not yet been published?

- thulsa

thulsa said:
Anyway, I must say I'm impressed with the number of books you've written over the last year or so. Just out of curiosity, how far ahead are you (usually) of the release schedule, ie how many books have you written for the Conan line that have not yet been published?

- thulsa

Two. It is hard to say if I am "ahead" or not, since Mongoose does not publish the books in the order I write them.

thulsa said:

Especially liked the numerous maps, the monster and NPC stats, and all the tables for random generation of ruins. Makes preparing this sort of adventures so much easier...

Excellent work, Vincent!

- thulsa

thulsa, you are quite the lucky guy! I had no idea that Ruins was out so soon. I'm still waiting for Stygia. (It should arrive in the next week.)
Care to give a more detailed review/critique?

Way to go thulsa! I really like the little bit of info you've already given us. You are very lucky - I'll have to check it out in June more than likely.

RichardAshenden said:

Since you asked... :)

Here's the table of contents:

Introduction
Creating Ruins
Cultures and Ruins
City of the Winged One
City of the Ghouls
Dagoth Hill
Green Stone Cities
Gazal
The Isle of Iron Statues
Isle of the Black Ones
Khet
Kutchemes
Pteion the Damned
Tombs and Pyramids
Xuchotl
Exploring Ruins
Monsters of the Ruins
Index
License

From this, you can see that the initial chapters deal with ruins in general and provide a toolkit (random tables) for you to create your own ruined cities. There's then an overview of the nations of Hyboria, noting some of the ruins in each country.

Then the meat of the book (70 pages) describes each major ruin in detail. There are maps for most of the cities, plus stats for monsters, NPCs and items to be found in each location. With some, like Xuchotl, you can basically start run an adventure (or mini-campaign) there because you have all the maps and stats.

The book finishes off with adventure hooks, sample traps, sample treasures, and finally some more monsters.

All in all, this book accomplishes its purpose (to make ruin-based adventures easy to prepare and run) very well. Since I am a fan of this kind of adventure myself, I give the book the highest marks.

- thulsa

thulsa said:
RichardAshenden said:

Since you asked... :)

Here's the table of contents:

Introduction
Creating Ruins
Cultures and Ruins
City of the Winged One
City of the Ghouls
Dagoth Hill
Green Stone Cities
Gazal
The Isle of Iron Statues
Isle of the Black Ones
Khet
Kutchemes
Pteion the Damned
Tombs and Pyramids
Xuchotl
Exploring Ruins
Monsters of the Ruins
Index
License

From this, you can see that the initial chapters deal with ruins in general and provide a toolkit (random tables) for you to create your own ruined cities. There's then an overview of the nations of Hyboria, noting some of the ruins in each country.

Then the meat of the book (70 pages) describes each major ruin in detail. There are maps for most of the cities, plus stats for monsters, NPCs and items to be found in each location. With some, like Xuchotl, you can basically start run an adventure (or mini-campaign) there because you have all the maps and stats.

The book finishes off with adventure hooks, sample traps, sample treasures, and finally some more monsters.

All in all, this book accomplishes its purpose (to make ruin-based adventures easy to prepare and run) very well. Since I am a fan of this kind of adventure myself, I give the book the highest marks.

- thulsa

What kinda monsters they got in that thing?

VERY coool! 8)
Thanks for the juicy details.
I think I'm gonna have to join a Conan addiction group.

(Must get second job to afford these goodies).

Scorpion13 said:
What kinda monsters they got in that thing?

I won't list them all (since there are players lurking on these boards...), but the monsters include serpent-men, dinosaurs, various types of ghouls, etc.

Some (black ones, crawler of Xuchotl, etc.) are reprints from previous books but are included here for completeness (which, I guess, is also good if you don't have all the other books).

- thulsa

Goddammit, this sounds awesome! City of the Winged One...., Isle of the Black Ones...., Xuchotl.... I'm frothing at the mouth here.

thulsa said:
City of the Ghouls
Pteion the Damned
What are these? Never heard of them before.

Trodax said:
thulsa said:
City of the Ghouls
Pteion the Damned
What are these? Never heard of them before.

City of the Ghouls: In the haunted forests between Argos and Zingara, hinted at in Hour of the Dragon.

Pteion: A ruin in Stygia, city said to have been founded by the serpent-men of Valusia (based on pastiche material).

- thulsa

Did you get the book at a shop? What country do you live in? It seems odd that Mongoose released this book early but doesn't say anything about it on the site (still listed as a June 5th release).

Mongoose has a real funny way of announcing / delivering books.

A ca. rule: If a book isn't delayed for at least one month or even cancelled, it's out about four weeks earlier... :wink:

See, this is why I have to narrow myself down to playing one roleplaying game. With both Conan and the new World of Darkness putting out such critical and/or awesome books at the same time, plus my friend starting his Shadowrun game, plus me still wanting a few of the Kingdoms of Kalamar books I just can't keep up.

Le sigh.

I want this book. And I want Aquilonia, Stygia, Tito's Trading Post, Shadizar and... er... something else, so just on this game alone I'm screwed. Ugh. Gaming is not catered to disabled people that can't work. Hah.

-=Grim=-

Back