Rogue Trooper RPG?

Kurgan

Mongoose
Hey gang,

I'm primarily a Paranoia fan, so don't often venture from the safety of Alpha Complex (read: The Paranoia forums), but after noticing the "2000 AD" section, and the RPG adaptations of Judge Dredd & Strontium Dog, my excitement at the possibility of other 2000 AD RPGs, --specifically my old favorite Rogue Trooper--, got the better of me.

So, the question is, is there any possibility of, or plans for, a Rogue Trooper RPG? And would it help if I said "pretty please, with sugar on top?" ;)

There has already been a petition for it at the "What should Mongoose publish next" part of the forum. So yes, it would be cool to see it although there have been no talk about plans for it.

On the other hand I remember that there was a third party that was planning to do Rogue Trooper RPG but somehow the project got cancelled (I don't remember why).

I for one would Pimp Rogue Trooper left and right. However, that being said, I can already DO rogue Trooper, with the existing Traveller, Dredd, and Strontium Dog books. STILL, that being said, I would be the first person in line to purchase the Rogue Trooper RPG. :D

~Rex

I'm not sure I can see how it would translate to being an RPG, though. A RT skirmish game... now that has potential - and the old GW board game was great fun :) (not as much fun, admittedly, as Block / Mega Mania - re-release those now I say!)

numanti said:
I'm not sure I can see how it would translate to being an RPG, though.

Ah, I was waiting for someone to make this comment. :)

If you remember the comics more than just the premise it's entirely possible to have the character(s) experience "adventures," using the Red vs. Blue aspect as either mere backdrop (expansive storytelling) or as a catalyst (ie. obvious plot device). Either way it could be fun.

However, it is entirely accurate to say this would most likely lend itself to being a 1-on-1 type of game, not a typical team scenario. That being said, let us not overlook the success of other similar RPGs and product lines. The 1-on-1 adventure series (I forget who publishes those) are just superb, albeit using the dreadful d20 mechanics. Doctor Who, a game where only one person gets to be the hero and everyone else a goofy sidekick was somewhat popular, and is now back on the market with a new company (and a very expensive premier boxed set). The many incarnations of Star Trek as an RPG are worth noting, since it has ranks and only one person is actually "in charge," with everyone else having to pretty much stand around waiting for the "hero" to give them some blessed orders so they can actually do some playing. lol I could go on, but you get the idea...

Ah, but there's another interesting possibility to consider with a Rogue Trooper RPG. Remember all of his sentient gear? Wouldn't it be amusing if characters could be sentient objects?! An entire "party" in the apparent guise of one "man." Love it.

Kurgan said:
numanti said:
I'm not sure I can see how it would translate to being an RPG, though.

Wouldn't it be amusing if characters could be sentient objects?! An entire "party" in the apparent guise of one "man." Love it.

hmmm i suspect roleplaying a rifle, might get rather dull :) let alone a backpack or a helmet...

Those were my initial thoughts as well. Some stories and backgrounds are more fitting to RPGs than others. Even when stories have solitary characters some worlds are fit for adventuring parties.

In Hyboria you can have easily adventuring bands. It is just that large a place. Even Judge Dredd managed to pull it off because there are lots of Judges out there and although Dredd works mostly alone there is no reason to think that there are tac teams of Judges. Strontium Dog is probably easiest because there are a lot of independent or teamed up Stronties bounty hunting. Now, Rogue Trooper is a bit different animal because he is a sole survivor of the massacre.

Having said that I have later learned that RT setting is much wider than Nu-Earth alone. In Tor Cyan you can see lots of aliens as well as humans. In 86ers you have a typical "Dirty Dozen" kind of situation with lots of characters interacting...

So, in the end the RT RPG might very well work out.

Heh, that's a thought. To me though, the greater 2000AD universe, is ripe for the pickings, from Dredd forward at least, all the way to Durham Red. So, since I already know, that RT encompasses a lot more then just the one comic line (though that is the story most are familiar with), I'd be gung-ho, for a game for it.

Especially, one that uses that for a base, then proceeds to fill in all the holes with new company product.

~Rex

Good idea. The setting is full of conflicts and not all of them has anything to do with humans (or GIs). I am positive that you could have a perfectly good game in the setting even without a single GI.

Years later a Rogue Trooper has materialized published by En Publishing. GMs using minis who got their hands on the Mongoose minis will have a fantastic resource.

Back