Risen Dead and Brawl - Question

quigs

Mongoose
One thing about this feat is that the Risen Dead in the bestiary (Conan AE) have Brawl. Does this mean they provoke AoO when they use their listed "Unarmed" attack? I would assume yes, as it says "Unarmed" in their stat block, and they are technically humanoid. I figured that if they had intended for them to not provoke, they would list their attack as a "Slam" attack.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, as I searched the forums first and found no answers to this specific question.
 

argo

Mongoose
Hmmm.... good catch.

Yes, technically they would provoke an AoO. I wonder if that is intentional or an oversight? It would make it easier to deal with a swarm of AoO provoking dead, more like in the Romero zombie movies. Interesting.
 

Jotenbjorn

Mongoose
ricardo440 said:
monsters don't provoke attacks of oppertunity with their normal attacks.

more specifically, natural attacks don't provoke aoo. if all they have is an unarmed attack using brawl, they do.
 

quigs

Mongoose
Ok, so I'm not going crazy then. I figured a good way to get around this would be just to give the risen dead weapons, like what the description of them states in the book. However I would agree, that if they had no weapons, and used Brawl they would provoke an AoO.

Or we can all just use the Skeleton and Zombie templates from the SRD! But this is something different, and thus, cooler ;)
 

urdinaran

Mongoose
I ran my group through and adventure when they were 1st level that included Skeletons I converted from 3.5 and they had a heluva time fighting them; none of them had bludgeoning weapons. They actually withdrew from the catacombs they were in just to go back to town and re-equip !!! They had a much easier time with the risen dead.
 

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
urdinaran said:
I ran my group through and adventure when they were 1st level that included Skeletons I converted from 3.5 and they had a heluva time fighting them; none of them had bludgeoning weapons. They actually withdrew from the catacombs they were in just to go back to town and re-equip !!! They had a much easier time with the risen dead.

How did you convert them from 3.5?
Did you use Uncle Bear's conversion notes or some other method?
Now that I think of it, I don't remember undead skeletons being a big part of REH's stories. I'm guessing that's a detail added by pastiche writers.
 

quigs

Mongoose
Actually I looked around for Uncle Bear's notes, but they seem to have disappeared from the web, when he updated his site to its present format. Anybody got a copy they can send me?

jeffreyquigley@gmail.com

Thanks!
 

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
quigs said:
Actually I looked around for Uncle Bear's notes, but they seem to have disappeared from the web, when he updated his site to its present format. Anybody got a copy they can send me?

jeffreyquigley@gmail.com

Thanks!

I emailed you with the pdf.
 

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
I thought I would try my hand at converting the 3.5 edition Skeletons to something useful for us, by using the suggestions of Uncle Bear's pdf. If I've made any mistakes or omissions, feel free to let me know. I suppose, in order to make them more of a challenge, one could boost the abilities, maybe grant some skills (provided the INT goes up?), etc. Whatever works to scare your PCs to death!

Skeleton
(based on SRD entry: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm)


Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Init)
Speed: 30 ft.
DV (Dodge): 11 (10, +0 base, +1 Dex), or 15 (while dodging ranged attack)
DV (Parry): 15 (10, +0 base, +1 Str, +4 lg. shield)
DR: 3 (+2 natural, +1 undead)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+1
Attack: +1 scimitar (1d8+1, 18-20/x2, AP 2) melee, or
+1 claw (1d6+1, x2, AP 0) melee
Full Attack: +1 scimitar (1d8+1, 18-20/x2, AP 2) melee, or
+1 2 claws (1d6+1, x2, AP 0) melee
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 1/-, Cold Immunity, Darkvision 60 ft., undead characteristics (1).
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 13 (+1), Con 0, Int 0, Wis 10, Cha 1 (-5).
Skills: none
Feats: Improved Initiative

Climate/Terrain: any
Organization: Solitary, or group
Advancement: --
Armour and Protection: lg. shield (+4 shield bonus, -4 arm check pen, 1d4, x2, AP 0)
Garments, Clothing: tattered rags
Weapons: scimitar
Allegiances: ?

(1)= Undead are immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects, and they ignore mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). Undead are not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. They have no Constitution scores and are therefore immune to anything requiring a Fortitude saving throw (unless it affects objects). Undead spellcasters use their Charisma modifier when making Concentration checks. Undead creatures are not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, they are immediately destroyed. Most undead have darkvision with a range of 60 feet. Undead cannot be raised. Resurrection can affect them, but since undead creatures are usually unwilling to return to life, these attempts typically fail. (See Bringing Back the Dead in Chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook).

COMBAT

[Combat, tactics information here.]

[Other data here.]
 

Oates

Mongoose
Yogah of Yag said:
quigs said:
Actually I looked around for Uncle Bear's notes, but they seem to have disappeared from the web, when he updated his site to its present format. Anybody got a copy they can send me?

jeffreyquigley@gmail.com

Thanks!

I emailed you with the pdf.

me as well please...

eric.oates@gmail.com
 

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
The Adobe Acrobat Fun-Pack! (22.9 MB)

includes the following PDF files for your gaming enjoyment:

1) Dragon Magazine's article on creating your own monster.
2) Uncle Bear's notes for converting SRD/DnD monsters to Conan RPG
3) Signs and Portents Magazine's issue no. 26: The Man-Ape (pt. 1)
4) S & P's issue # 27: The Man-Ape (pt. 2) and "Ghosts of the Deep"
5) S & P article on Acheronians and Chariots
6) S & P # 29 article on the city of Xuthal
7) S & P #30 article on the new class: The Martial Disciple
8] S & P #7 article on Solo and Duo Play.

http://www.fidnet.com/~bushfarm/wnvb/conan10.html

Enjoy.
 

Strom

Mongoose
Thank you very much for the Skeleton conversion and the link to all the great Conan information. I have yet to throw skeletons at any of my players characters but will soon.

You da man Yogah! :D
 

quigs

Mongoose
Excellent source material there! But one little quirk about your skeleton. Wouldn't it make more sense to have its DR apply to slashing or piercing weapons only? I would assume bludgeoning weapons would bypass the DR entirely just like the SRD version. That's mentioned in Bear's doc as well.

Now if you had an armored skeleton, well, there's some nasty fun!
 

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
quigs said:
Excellent source material there! But one little quirk about your skeleton. Wouldn't it make more sense to have its DR apply to slashing or piercing weapons only? I would assume bludgeoning weapons would bypass the DR entirely just like the SRD version. That's mentioned in Bear's doc as well.

Now if you had an armored skeleton, well, there's some nasty fun!

IIRC, there was a mention of damage dealt to skeletons in the DnD corebooks or the SRD. It said that slashing weapons only dealt 1/2 damage, because skeletons -- of course -- don't have flesh, viscera, etc. and when you use a sword, for example, normally it would simply *clang* against the skeleton's ribs, or pass between them doing little, if any, damage. I don't remember if this little ruling was included in the Conan rules or if it was changed.
 

urdinaran

Mongoose
Yogah of Yag said:
I thought I would try my hand at converting the 3.5 edition Skeletons ...

nice job; I'm at work so I can't check what I used, but I think I kept them similar to 3.5 in that they have DR 5/bludgeoning.

I think skeletons fit into the Conan theme; it is a little more like Sinbad, but I think it works
 
Top