Riposte feat (from Aquilonia and Hyboria's Finest)

quigs

Mongoose
Can someone please confirm with me if this feat's usage requires the defender to use an attack of opportunity or not?

I only have the Aquilonia book and have heard that the Hyboria's Finest version states that it uses an attack of opportunity.

Thanks a bunch!

So nobody knows this or owns Hyboria's Finest? Come on. There's been like 50 views on this thread and no replies? Can somebody PLEASE take a minute to look this up? I have a PC who wants to take the feat under the assumption that it does not require the usage of an AoO and therefore, he can do it on every Parry he makes.

Well I don't have either my Aquilonia or Finest books with me, but I would think that Finest would be the vesion to go by since it's the newer book I believe. I only have my core rules with me as all my gamebooks are at the house where I play so I can't read the feat itself.

If your running the game then really it's up to you to choose which one you think is right. If the effect is limited to once a round then I might be more inclined myself to go with the no AoO cost, but if it's useable as often as you can, go with the AoO version so it's not unstoppable.

Seeing as you asked so nicely, I had a look.
The wording in both books is identical, no AoO required.
Enjoy your ripostes!
Ralph

This sounds interesting, I'll have to look these up when I get home from work. In fencing, riposte is simply to return the steel. Fencer B parries Fencer A's attack, then he in return attacks Fencer A.

A ------> B (A attacks B)
B <------ A (B parries A (above) then he ripostes (attacks the attacker back)

Or, for you theatrical fencing choreographers, this is an example of how it's written out for a play or movie fight:

Fencer 1 ------------------ Fencer 2
Thrust to Flank --------> Parry 2
Parry 3 <------------------ Riposte w/ Outside Cheek Cut

I'll have to see how this feat works.

I think the idea here is a simultaneous blow, but now I'll have to look it up myself too. (lol).

Sutek said:
I think the idea here is a simultaneous blow, but now I'll have to look it up myself too. (lol).
Really? 'Cause that's not what a riposte is at all, either in the 14th century or the 21st! :shock: (Getting ready to head home and look this up....) 8)

The PC in my group who wants this feat is trying to get as many retaliation attacks back against his foes as possible. He has an idea to take this feat, as well as a couple from Iron Heroes that I'm allowing that basically give him attacks of opportunity against people that he parries.

But I'm going to limit this to one attack per miss, no matter what feat(s) he's using just because it seems rather silly to have a guy miss once, then take 3 attacks back from it.

Bregales said:
Sutek said:
Really? 'Cause that's not what a riposte is at all, either in the 14th century or the 21st! :shock: (Getting ready to head home and look this up....) 8)

I know what it LITTERALLY is, but....

...oh never mind....

:roll:

OOooo...and I'd NOT allow Iron Heros feats, but that's just me. Starts to tear the system apart when you add feats that break the mechanic too much.

Unfortunatley its too late for that as a few of my PC's have taken them IH feats already, but oh well. I use them too with my NPC's so its not that big of a deal really.

Sorry Sutek, didn't write it as a contradiction to you, was just surprised to read how it appeared :oops: :lol: . I think this was gone over at some prior point somewhere in these forums, but that's not important.

Hey, I was just bored at work and thinking about the final class for the summer fencing term this week when I saw this thread. Guess I shoulda been a little more relaxed and not so coffee-hyper. :lol:

Back