Resident Zhodani expert?

I think I've always enjoyed the Zhodani, ever since the first original JTAS article / interview with a Zhodani Noble. Would anyone object if I declared myself a sort-of resident Zhodani expert here? For what it's worth, I have an idea for an article for the Mongoose JTAS mag.

Question 1 are they good guys or bad guys?

Question 2 are the thought police gestapo mixed with KGB and psionics on the top or are they better seen as mental health councilors ?

Question 3 is the Zhodani consulate more democratic than the Third Imperium?

Question 4 Who cares more for the wellbeing of their population the Consulate of the Imperium?

Follow up questions to test your expertise.
Have you read the original CT Alien Module from cover to cover (how many species of Zhodani have there been?)? Have you listened/watched interviews with MWM to learn more about the 'true' nature of Zhodani culture? Have you read the GT Zhodani write up?

I think the phrase I am looking for is "Tletl. Shtiavl. Otre'. I got this. You're not the Tavrchedl'."

Sigtrygg said:
Question 1 are they good guys or bad guys?

To the Impies, they are the devil incarnate - an Orwellian dictatorship, no less. To the Zhodani, they are one big happy family. To the Hivers, whose minds cannot be read, if they've heard of Zhodani they might look on them with much amusement. The Zhodani, if they are aware of Hivers, should feel a little bit terrified of their psi-immune Manipulators.

Sigtrygg said:
Question 2 are the thought police gestapo mixed with KGB and psionics on the top or are they better seen as mental health councilors ?
If you're a Zhodani, they're the calm hand on your shoulder and the reassuring voice that tells you that help has arrived. Imagine a world where the citizens really do trust the police. No, I can't imagine that far, either.

Sigtrygg said:
Question 3 is the Zhodani consulate more democratic than the Third Imperium?
They are exactly as democratic as the Imperium. Do the Impies vote for their Dukes and Barons? Of course it's a participatory democracy.

Now here's the chilling thought - every planet in the Consulate must, by their definition, have the same government and law codes ... everywhere. Can they be that consistent?

Sigtrygg said:
Question 4 Who cares more for the wellbeing of their population the Consulate of the Imperium?
Line up diplomats from both sides, and hear them both yelling "We do!" at the top of their lungs. Then you decide.

Sigtrygg said:
Have you read the original CT Alien Module from cover to cover (how many species of Zhodani have there been?)?
I'll go back through my old books to dig it up. I'll get back to you on that.

Sigtrygg said:
Have you listened/watched interviews with MWM to learn more about the 'true' nature of Zhodani culture?
Nope, but direct me to the approptiate Youtube channel and I'm sure I can find time to watch.

Sigtrygg said:
Have you read the GT Zhodani write up?
GT or MGT?I have the 1st Ed Zhodani Module, with the whitest Zhodani in the neighbourhood. Really - it really needed different interior art, but it had a comprehensive vocabulary courtesy of Rob Eaglestone. Get back to you on that, too. If you mean GURPS Trav, the only GURPS modules I ever bought were GURPS Humanx, GURPS Cyberpunk, GURPS Illuminati, and GURPS Warehouse 23 (which the Warehouse 13 TV show blatantly ripped off). I never bought a single GURPS Trav title.

I'm not exactly blowing vrien lienj here. Have a cup of Shavrnakr tea in a green cup.

ShawnDriscoll said:
A Zhodani expert would know about the core expeditions.

Not going to learn a lot about them from Aliens of Charted Space Volume 1. I understand why we're getting Cliffs Notes version of the Aliens, and it's better than an abortive attempted like MegaTraveller where few were covered, but I hope there are thicker volumes with more detail coming eventually....

ShawnDriscoll said:
A Zhodani expert would know about the core expeditions.
And that Empress Wave, and their urgent need to secure an Erdriap Chensh to form a firebreak against it, hence their drive to take the one on Rhylanor.

I've also got Tripwire. And I've followed the path of the Core Expeditions on the Traveller Map.

One thing the new book gave us was a hint as to what alien arts and architecture look like, and I'm glad this turned up.

I'd like to see the Zhodani vocabulary expanded beyond what is in the Glossary. I'd like to answer the following questions:-

- What body parts of a clothed Zhodani can you never touch without their permission?

- How do the Tavrchedl' deal with someone coming out as trans or non binary?

- What are Zhodani mealtimes like? In the family? In the Service?

- What are their rites of passage?

- Do Zhodani marry, and what do their wedding / betrothal ceremonies and relationships look like?

- How can I turn these into plot hooks for Traveller adventures and get stuff like this posted to the JTAS?

Ok other some stuff you should know but I suppose you can look up your answers fill me with some hope :)

The democratic nature of the Consulate is way beyond the Imperium.

All Imperial government is appointed by the Emperor - individual planets can have any system of government they like but the Imperial government - which starts at the subsector level with the dukes - is an authoritarian absolute monarchy.

The Consulate has democratic votes in the sense the Greeks invented - those who qualify for a vote get to vote. The Consulate government is a democracy in much the same way the EU is. Individual worlds within the Consulate can have many forms of local government, but their interstellar government is an Athenian Democracy of sorts.

Here are the ones I have linked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3K_JgCj5k&t=77s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qQQ95zHyo&t=84s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ab5l32EZG4&t=9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnMaR-mD-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIcNMS99jP8

And due to board restrictions a couple more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg9Gr5NR0ZQ&t=258s
and a podcast favourite of mine:
https://gamingandbs.com/marc-miller-traveller-bbs016/

Warning - it will take a while since there are several hours worth and there is some repetition, but it is all good stuff.

And many thanks to the folks who made these interviews available to us.

I suspect self interest and social harmonization would indicate a policy of minimal contact with other humans, especially with proles.

I suspect war is more of a means to create a buffer zone beyond which the Imperium would find it difficult to advance, sort of a Vulcan Neutral Zone.

Condottiere said:
I suspect self interest and social harmonization would indicate a policy of minimal contact with other humans, especially with proles.

I suspect war is more of a means to create a buffer zone beyond which the Imperium would find it difficult to advance, sort of a Vulcan Neutral Zone.
If Tripwire is to be considered canon, they want a mountain-sized Ancient Artifact on Rhylanor, to set up a force field around the Zhodani border and deflect the Empress Wave. Something like that.

alex_greene said:
Would anyone object if I declared myself a sort-of resident Zhodani expert here? For what it's worth, I have an idea for an article for the Mongoose JTAS mag.

(coughs in Sector Analyst, Glossary Compiler, and Co-Architect of the most obscure Canon Zhodani ship)

Not that I'm "Resident" very often.

But if you need another person used to the Zhodani headspace, I'm around.

AffectionateGrippingHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

Wet turbans act as psionic shields.

I will happily listen in as well since I've been tasked with writing an upcoming Mongoose book on this very subject. It will also include a fully developed Classic-Era rendition of Zhdant sector for those of us who want to play in a Zhodani campaign. I can't shake the idea that a noir Tavrchedl’ detective story would be a lot of fun. :)

paltrysum said:
I can't shake the idea that a noir Tavrchedl’ detective story would be a lot of fun. :)

As long as the art is all black and white and the characters gray... (um, not Greys)

Back