Ralios

Hi. Anyone else got Ralios? I know its supposed to be out in June, but I picked up a copy on eBay, about ten days ago, no problem.

* SPOILERS ALERT*

I suppose its one of those additions that should have/could have been included in the Glorantha 2nd Age book, however, as usual these days, its in B&W, and the maps are pretty dark, being originally colour transferred into B&W, but its nice all the same.

Im sure it was previewed on the site initially at 15 quid, but it seems to have been repriced at 10 pounds. Maybe it was going to be more lengthy as it weighs in at a flimsy 42 pages. There lots in there though. It details the 'East Wilds', Vesmonstran and the Orlanthi tribes there, their reactions towards or alliance with either EWF or the God Learners, the trolls and elves of the area. Theres a huge wadge of interesting characters and detail about the area so much so, that theres scenario ideas bursting from every paragraph. From Ifelon, the elf king of Ballid, that is entirely composed of briars and stems, troll clans and Darengeng the 3 metre tall broo that can suck the very air from a victims lungs. Great!

It really excels when describing the various characters, but maybe a little slim otherwise, and the B&W, as mentioned, does little to enhance the look of the book as a whole, and the maps in particular.

It could have really done with some scenarios, which were possibly going to be included (just a guess, based on the preproduction pricedrop and the low page count). It doesnt suffer too much, however, as theres lots of interesting scenario possibilities hidden away in the text.

And, you know, if this much quality stuff had've been produced for RQ II or III, we would have all been thrilled at the time.

Recommended.

Ralios was available as a PDF since pretty much the launch of MRQ (it came out before Glorantha: the Second Age if I recall right). It is a section that got cut from G:tSA for Page count reasons (back in those days books were 96 or 160 pages period - no other options ever printed until Mongoose started their ill fated self printing).

Two years later they have decided to make a print version. At 42 pages it sounds as though there is no new content in the printed version.

It is great stuff though, packed with gaming goodness. The PDF is color as well, with very readable maps.

Ah, of course, PDFs! I dont have no truck with that kind of witchery.

I suppose it makes my mini-review somewhat obsolete, but interesting to hear that the PDF is in colour. No, from what you say, there doesnt appear to be anything new there. I can imagine a day, RQV, when the book count goes down and the page count goes up.

Well it seems from this new announcement that Mongoose is changing printers again:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/news_item.php?pkid_news=314

This will be the fourth printer in the life of the MRQ line. Hopefully this will be the best of both worlds. As much as I hated the 96/160 page limits in the early books, I must say they were the very nice books - full color sturdy books that lay open flat and have held up well.

While they had problems with their in house printing, it was nice to see books start coming out with page counts that fit the material rather than the other way around.

The switch to the current printer has seen mostly black and white softcover books.

The MRQ line is not specifically mentioned in the linked announcement. We should perhaps grill the goose on this.

Rurik said:
The switch to the current printer has seen mostly black and white softcover books.

To be honest, I think the current (Third) set are the best of the books. I prefer softback to hardback and colour is vastly over-rated.

Let's hope it doesn't push prices up too much.

Back