[[[Playtest Focus]]] Missiles III

ErinPalette said:
Last night I playtested Matt's proposed changes to EW and Point Defense.

... all missiles destroyed (3 waves of 12)...

Don't know about you folks, but I won't be using the new EW/PD system.

Erin - I think if you try the old system, you'll realise it's just as effective. Your not seeing anything new. Can you tell me the skills, characteristic DMS, # of turrets on PD?

ErinPalette said:
1 PD turret with 2 pulse lasers.

EW and PD DMs were, as best I can recall, +4.

Excellent - thanks Erin. 12 Missiles Launched at Long Range. That means they strike 2 turns after launch using the old system, or 1 turn after launch using the new system. (Anything closer and they would strike immediately in the new system, so even less Jamming) - basically, I'm erring on the side that makes the new system defences even more powerful... just to prove the point :)

Old System (MGT1):

12 Missiles launched at long range. 2 Turns of Jamming. 1 Turn of PD (x2 Pulse lasers). Remember, these are two independent weapons firing now.

EW will be conducted TWICE:
EW stopping 1 missile: 72%
EW stopping 2 missiles: 42%
EW stopping 3 missiles: 17%
EW stopping 4 missiles: 5%

PD is conducted TWICE, because each pulse laser defends independently:
Point Defense stopping 1 missile: 92%
Point Defense stopping 2 missiles: 76%
Point Defense stopping 3 missiles: 55%
Point Defense stopping 4 missiles: 32%
Point Defense stopping 5 missiles: 13%
Point Defense stopping 6 missiles: 4%

Versus the new system, MGT2. Please note the EFFECT determines how many missiles go down - so effect 0 is 0 missiles, unlike before where Effect 0 meant a missile was downed.
EW will be conducted ONCE, as the missiles are now striking faster in every case:
EW stopping 1 missile: 58%
EW stopping 2 missiles: 42%
EW stopping 3 missiles: 28%
EW stopping 4 missiles: 17%
EW stopping 5 missiles: 8%

PD is conducted ONCE, because the double turret just means a +1 to the roll. Also, as above you need EFFECT 1+ to down any missile. Effect 0 does nothing:
Point Defense stopping 1 missile: 92%
Point Defense stopping 2 missiles: 83%
Point Defense stopping 3 missiles: 72%
Point Defense stopping 4 missiles: 58%
Point Defense stopping 5 missiles: 42%
Point Defense stopping 6 missiles: 28%
Point Defense stopping 7 missiles: 17%
Point Defense stopping 8 missiles: 8%

Conclusion / TLDR; :

The old PD system is nearly twice as effective as the current one, due to the following:

(a) Each weapon could fire on it's own
(b) Missiles took MUCH longer to connect
(c) Effect 0 still indicated a missile was jammed or destroyed, which is not the cast in the new system (Where effect = # of missiles stopped, so you need at least a 1+ effect).

All this, and the fact that now missiles do DOUBLE or more damage.

Erin Palette, sir, I believe you were the victim of some terrible luck :) 12 Missiles a round under any system would be extremely difficult to stop. Unless perhaps launched from Distant ranges - which would still heavily favour the old system (much more Jamming, and no -6 to hit as per new MGT2 for Distant launches).

Nerhesi said:
Erin Palette, sir,
Miss, if you please. :)

I believe you were the victim of some terrible luck :) 12 Missiles a round under any system would be extremely difficult to stop. Unless perhaps launched from Distant ranges - which would still heavily favour the old system (much more Jamming, and no -6 to hit as per new MGT2 for Distant launches).
Terrible, REPEATABLE luck. I was trying like mad to kill my PCs in this combat without resorting to cheating or giving unfair odds, and I could not land a single hit. The pilot was helming a 400 dton ship like it was a fighter craft, literally dodging between barrages.

It was truly frustrating.

Miss! I apologise!

As for your luck... well, I'm sure the players had a blast when you were trying to hard and they came out like superheroes! :)

ErinPalette said:
No apology necessary, these things happen. :)

And yes, they were laughing and cheering at their incredible skill.

Players will always make you want to strangle the lot of them with their luck,skill, and/or antics at times.

No system can stop hot dice, and a good player....or cure bad dice, and a player off his game.

That's why I tend to favor a set up that allows for everything to hit, and/or everything to miss...

The most annoying thing is that, for this scenario, I was counting on their incompetence. And for so much of the time they *are* incompetent (or at least roll poorly), such that one of my players has said that they "bumble well."

So the one time I'm counting on that to carry the day... and they suddenly become Top Gun. >_<

Which is why I said I would go back to the original system -- more dice rolls = more chances to screw up.

I will interrupt with a question on the played scenario.

For the old system: One turret with 2 lasers - why is PD conducted twice? It is only one turret? Isn't it a reaction for each PD check, with each next getting +(-1) penalty. ?

PD is conducted twice in 1e because 1e contains no rules on fire-linking weapons, so each weapon shoots separately. And they keep shooting until they miss, with each subsequent shot at a cumulative -1.

Back