(old MGT 3.2 UWP list, deleted)

EDG

Mongoose
The program that outputs the trade codes on this thread also outputs the UWPs, so here is a list of UWPs generated using MGT 3.2 rules as they are written. There's over 3400 worlds here, so consider this a pretty thorough playtest :) - as far as I can tell my code accurately processes the rules as stated in MGT 3.2.

Note that these are UWPs for a Dense Domain (world present in a hex on a roll of 3+, area is a 2x2 sector grid containing 5120 hexes. 3403 worlds are present here). I did it like this to get the maximum number of generated systems to generate accurate statistics.

Changes/clarifications/things not made explicit in the rules that should be:
1) roll 1d6 for orbit zone for temperatures: 1=Inner edge of Hab, 2-5 = central Hab, 6= Outer edge of Hab. (no rules are given in the 3.2 rules for determining the zone, so I made up my own).
2) if size=0, atm=0.
3) if size=0, hyd=0.
4) if pop=0, then gov,law,mult,tech = 0 and starport=X
5) TL chart is the same as CT.
6) In code is the same as CT (not atm 2-4,7-9 and pop 9+ as stated in MGT 3.2).
7) Lo and Ni are minimum pop 1.
8) Wa is hyd A.
9) Lt code applies only if pop 1+.
10) Pop Mult is generated using 1d9 (which I can do in a computer program!). Pop Mult is 0 if pop = 0.
11) Belts are generated according to CT rules.

The first column is the hex location, followed by the UWP block. The single digit on its own is the Temperature, and the final three-digit block is PBG.

Temperature codes:

1=Frozen
2=Icy
3=Temperate
4=Hot
5=Boiling

All of my criticisms and comments from my Worldbuilding 3.2 Comments apply - there's a lot of nonsensical worlds here (i.e. worlds too small to have atmospheres, or with too low a tech level to survive in the world's environment).

Ok. I see a serious problem here.

TL F occurs zero times in that list.
TL E occurs once
TL D occurs once
TL C occurs ... four times, IIRC.

I may be mistaken, I was just using Find in my browser and scanning down for highlighted letters, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything ... even if I did miss one or two, that's not enough.

Amongst 3,500 worlds, that's not nearly enough.

I generated about 140 systems recently using TNE, and while I didn't get any TL Fs, there were plenty of Es and Ds.

Assuming no bug in EDGs software, and that I didn't roll freakishly unusual systems ... something's not right here.

Probably something in his random number generator. I have found the same thing with certain software packages. A GOOD random number generator is hard to find.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Probably something in his random number generator. I have found the same thing with certain software packages. A GOOD random number generator is hard to find.

Doubtful - first thing I did when I wrote it was see what the spread of numbers it generated was (like, with a million 2d6 rolls), and it didn't depart from the expected 2d6 bell curve.

I'll have another look tonight though, just in case.

EDG said:
Rikki Tikki Traveller said:

Doubtful - first thing I did when I wrote it was see what the spread of numbers it generated was (like, with a million 2d6 rolls), and it didn't depart from the expected 2d6 bell curve.

I'll have another look tonight though, just in case.

To eliminate the random number problem, have you got the computing power to just cycle through all possible outcomes for the dice rolls?

i.e instead of (2d6, 2d6, 2d6 [....] 2d6) work though with [2,2,2 [...] 2], [2,2,2 [...], 3] etc and compile a probability table for trade codes and tech levels from counting the outcomes.

I know takes a lot of crunching but if you can go through a million 2d6 then this might be possible. The looping may be faster than the time for a RAND type function to be calculated.

Well considering it takes only a few seconds to calculate a few million dice rolls, time isn't really the problem :).

Like I said though I'm pretty sure the random number routine is generating a proper 2d6 (or 1d6 or 1d10 or whatever) spread... I suspect the lack of high TLs is down to the DMs involved. But I'll take another look at it if I have the time tonight.

Dammit.... yeah it looks like there's a bug in the code. The TLs aren't being calculated properly - I first noticed it on the EDG UWPs, but it's here too, e.g:

Code:
122        A6867B8-3        Ag Ga Lt                  3        200

Should have a TL DM of +6 from the starport, which means a minimum TL of 7 - so there's no way it should have a TL of 3.

I'll check things over again tonight.

Okay, heres the actual counts of the permutations based on (2d6 -7 -SIZ/POP)
Code:
Code Count  Basic%	Round%
0	126	9.72	      10
1	80	6.17	      6
2	104	8.02	      8
3	125	9.65	     10
4	140	10.8	     11
5	146	11.27	    11
6	140	10.8	     11
7	125	9.65	     10
8	104	8.02	      8
9	80	6.17	      6
A	56	4.32	      4
B	35	2.7	      3
C	35	2.7	       3
The odd values for the ends are due to the caps on the code values (0 and C)

Note the counts for a 0 outcome and a C outcome differ - the caps are asymmetrical.

Note how frequent 0 results are.

Total permutations = 1296.

simple 2d6 -2
Code:
2d6-2	Code
1	0
2	1
3	2
4	3
5	4
6	5
5	6
4	7
3	8
2	9
1	A

More to come, as well as some uses for this.

SableWyvern said:
Ok. I see a serious problem here.

TL F occurs zero times in that list.
TL E occurs once
TL D occurs once
TL C occurs ... four times, IIRC.

I may be mistaken, I was just using Find in my browser and scanning down for highlighted letters, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything ... even if I did miss one or two, that's not enough.

Amongst 3,500 worlds, that's not nearly enough.

I generated about 140 systems recently using TNE, and while I didn't get any TL Fs, there were plenty of Es and Ds.

Assuming no bug in EDGs software, and that I didn't roll freakishly unusual systems ... something's not right here.

There were no F's.
I found two E's: 3579 and 5215
I found two D's. 1641 and 3850
I found four C's: 2832, 3803, 5034, 6037,
B's: 34

Like I said... it's most likely a bug given the impossibly low TLs. I'll track it down and squish it and post new versions.

Yep. Dumb late-night programming mistake, I referred to the wrong variables for the starports, and that's an issue in the CT, MGT, and EDG worldgen programs so the TL is incorrectly calculated in all three systems. Sorry (but thanks for spotting the error!)! :oops:

Fixed it now though. I just regenerated the EDG UWPs and there's 45 TL E worlds, 27 TL F worlds, er... and 12 TL G worlds, 2 TL H worlds, and 4 TL J worlds. Looks like it's working fine now.

I'll redo the stats. I'll just do a single new (correct) run for each one cos I don't have the time right now to do three.

Back