OGL CyberNet "possible tech" concept?!

Stratos

Mongoose
What do you guys & gals think of this possible invention... would it be possible in a straight-up CyberNet (cyberpunk) game... or is it too sci-fi/fantasy?

"European researchers invent a new wheelchair for severely paralyzed patients that can be controlled by brain waves. The user wears a skullcap embedded with electrodes, which stimulate and amplify neuro patterns from the brain and transmit the signal to the relay on the drive train of the wheelchair."

Thanks!

- Stratos
 

E Nicely

Mongoose
No it's not overkill. Fits cyberpunk perfectly.

BTW feel free to throw out any other little teasers like that one for your forthcoming books. :wink:
 

Socket

Mongoose
Actually, I think it would be a little behind the times in a straight up CyberNet campaign. I would see someone in cybernet using that device if they couldn't afford or didn't want cybernetics. In Cybernet we have all kinds of gadgets that interface with our brain, nerves, pretty much our entire body, making someone who was paralyzed be able to function on their own again would probably be routine in the Cybernet world (assuming of course you had the cash).

my 2 wealth pts,

Socket
baileyrecords said:
What do you guys & gals think of this possible invention... would it be possible in a straight-up CyberNet (cyberpunk) game... or is it too sci-fi/fantasy?

"European researchers invent a new wheelchair for severely paralyzed patients that can be controlled by brain waves. The user wears a skullcap embedded with electrodes, which stimulate and amplify neuro patterns from the brain and transmit the signal to the relay on the drive train of the wheelchair."

Thanks!

- Stratos
 

Stratos

Mongoose
Socket said:
Actually, I think it would be a little behind the times in a straight up CyberNet campaign. I would see someone in cybernet using that device if they couldn't afford or didn't want cybernetics. In Cybernet we have all kinds of gadgets that interface with our brain, nerves, pretty much our entire body, making someone who was paralyzed be able to function on their own again would probably be routine in the Cybernet world (assuming of course you had the cash).

my 2 wealth pts, Socket

Oh yeah... I agree about being a "primitive" tech compared to cybernetics. And it would be earlier dated (like 2010) in my timeline leading up to 2087 AD. However... the theme I was "worried" about is the brainwave abilities and telekenesis, etc. Too fantasy? Or are you `punks willing to accept a little "non hard" science?!

- Stratos
 
No problem really! Just plug some wires into the base of the neck of the user instead of the skullcap, and you'll be allright. That way it'll just be an external mod. No need to worry about brainwaves, it'll function as any other piece of cyberware.

- Casper
 

Stratos

Mongoose
sonny sixshooter said:
No problem really! Just plug some wires into the base of the neck of the user instead of the skullcap, and you'll be allright. That way it'll just be an external mod. No need to worry about brainwaves, it'll function as any other piece of cyberware.

- Casper

Ah, aha! Excellent. See, this is what I need from you guys from time to time... thanks!

- Stratos
 

Mythos

Mongoose
Given that over the last year, researchers in South Carolina have been wiring up monkeys to robotic systems, you may be a little late with your concept.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
My only comment would be teh use of the word 'brainwaves', which I think is kinda hindering it clicking. It's a bit 1950s sci-fi!

Try 'scans the brain's motor-fuction inpulses' or 'reads brain acticity'
 
just remember that it has to be cheaper than a pair of cyberlegs. That or there has to be some sort of fashion that dictates whellchairs beeing cool and hip in the future.
 

Lane Shutt

Mongoose
It does not have to be fashionable or cheaper.

Some people may physically reject implanted systems.
Others may refuse to use cybernetic systems on a philosophical/ religious basis.

While the wheelchair may be cheaper it's also less functional but still better than nothing.

--
Lane
 

psyclonejack

Mongoose
Actually Mythos they are past the monkey stage. There are to my knowledge over 10 "reported" human patients that are "wired". The patients were completely paralyzed due to various accidents. The doctors, according to the press releases, wire copper into the brain, and then record and map the patients neural patterns. Once mapped, they can program systems to interact with the human brain.

On what level, you ask? The patients now control Television by direct thought, can "talk" to people via computer screens where they mentally type the letters. This is CURRENT TECH.

So lets cybernet it. . . Take that technology, advance it a bit. . .

Possibility: Inplanted chips have been programed to REPLACE the brain now that neural patterns and workings have been mapped. Thus corporations can map and implant someone, let them go through there life (IE: get a job at a rival corp), then when you need them to do ANYTHING, you take over control of that body via remote control, have them perform what ever tasks you need, they can't stop you. Make it a Clone with a predefined neural pattern, a standard chip. AI controling them via WI-FI tech, and you have living . . . what Biodroids? Zombies? Growing an army cheaper than building one?

Possibility: Using a type of external amplifier, the technology could record neural patterns, or see neural patterns, in a real time system. Thus someone with said technology, would become a limited telepath. You could see him think, pull the trigger. You could see someone remember a dream / memory about a red dress, or you could see what they are thinking, real time. Like a pumped up braindance unit, with live feeds from everyone you point the gadget at.

Possibility: Wire a chip that only looks for certain neural patterns, ie kill, rape, destroy, steal. When the brain attempts to perform that type of action the chip cancels the signal to the body. Thought police anyone? Punishment chips anyone? do it once we put a chip in ya, you will never do it again.

Okay, enough dark future for today, I got to get back to work for my Corp, before they chip me for surfing the net at work.

PsyJack
 

Stratos

Mongoose
Sorry. Been extremely busy - and it's Summertime!

Anyhow... I decided to go with a neural plug. No helmet catching brain waves... we'll have a skull jack and plug!

- Stratos
 
Top