Non-Jump Spaceflights issues

Ferum_Man

Mongoose
Greetings !
*In upfront I will ask not to yell if this will be a topic, that had been discussed earlier, I'm very new to Traveller and this forum as well*
Recently I've met an obstacle during preparations for my very first game. The idea was to get out of the low TL world for players who don't have enough money to purchase a J-Drive-equipped vessel from the beginning.

So my Q is - what is the speed limit for a vessel like Ship's Boat, to travel inside the parsec? I went through Corebook and HG2022, and found nothing.

Please share some wisdom or a link to a proper discussion chain.

Your attention and assistance are very much appreciated.
Wishing safe flight and no rippers on your way)

Hello Ferum,

Firstly, there is no need for a player group to own a ship. They can buy a ticket on a passenger ship, hitch a lift, or work on a ship that would take them elsewhere.

Unless you have access to a Jump Drive (or something similar), you won't reach realistically reach a new star system as it would take crazy numbers of years. Ship's Boats are not good enough for the job, as they have only "Manoeuvre Drives". But there may be other worlds in the current star system where your players are, and a small ship could happily fly around between those local worlds and moons.

1. Generation ships - not recommended unless you plan on a campaign measured in decades or centuries.

2. Outside of buying passage on the next tramp steamer, maybe you might like to do an insystem campaign, while you pick up on the ins and outs of interstellar travel.

3. Read the recommended reading list (if there still is one), you'll pick up a lot of science fiction concepts and tropes that you will come across in the game.

Core Rulebook 2016 gives travel times for sub-light speed in chapter "Spacecraft Operations" on page 152/153. I would really be surprised if this has been omitted in the 2022 update.

Core Rulebook Update 2022 covers Travel Times on page: 163.
Core Rulebook 2016 gives travel times for sub-light speed in chapter "Spacecraft Operations" on page 152/153. I would really be surprised if this has been omitted in the 2022 update.
1. Generation ships - not recommended unless you plan on a campaign measured in decades or centuries.

2. Outside of buying passage on the next tramp steamer, maybe you might like to do an insystem campaign, while you pick up on the ins and outs of interstellar travel.

3. Read the recommended reading list (if there still is one), you'll pick up a lot of science fiction concepts and tropes that you will come across in the game.
Hello Ferum,

Firstly, there is no need for a player group to own a ship. They can buy a ticket on a passenger ship, hitch a lift, or work on a ship that would take them elsewhere.

Unless you have access to a Jump Drive (or something similar), you won't reach realistically reach a new star system as it would take crazy numbers of years. Ship's Boats are not good enough for the job, as they have only "Manoeuvre Drives". But there may be other worlds in the current star system where your players are, and a small ship could happily fly around between those local worlds and moons.
Thank you so much for such a rapid reaction! I appreciate it greatly)
May your journeys be safe and full of wonderous stories!

Back