New armor breakthrough

phavoc

Emperor Mongoose
Cool article on Fox about a new foam-type armor that has some amazing properties.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/04/09/new-foam-armor-for-tanks-can-pulverize-enemies.html

As its structure is porous it wouldn't be used as a skin and the holes aren't exactly a new discovery as Sandhurst had a similar project for armour that found armour with grill like surface tended to be better at dealing with kinetic hits and a serious reduction in weight.

What would interesting is to see if it has actual foam like properties such as flexing over the entire surface which would seriously augment material strength.

A honeycomb laminate, with alternating layers of metal and foam could be the answer.

Though I'm wondering if they are being a bit optimistic about tank armor. An APDS round is a bitch to defeat. A HEAT round uses a plasma penetrator. And there is the good ol GAU-30 Avenger cannon. :)

The material sounds very promising, but more tests are indwed requines to see if the tests properly scale up!

Our principal issue is volume, rather than weight.

If you install it like reactive armour (which I'd additionally pack underneath), do the holes represent negative volume?

Condottiere said:
Our principal issue is volume, rather than weight.

If you install it like reactive armour (which I'd additionally pack underneath), do the holes represent negative volume?

No. A block of foam occupies a set amount of space. Therefore this would do the same. Reactive armor needs to be on the outside. Otherwise if it goes off you are punching holes in your own armor. The idea is for the external charge to stop an income projectile from penetrating.

The key of the pores or grill to work is to break up the projectile before hitting the hull which works rather well based on trials at Sandhurst.

If the foam also has an elastic effect it could work even better by distributing the force over a larger surface.

Tee Five gives the option for composition of armour layers.

Closest we have would be a reflec coating; maybe stealth.

Arguably nickel iron.

Well, it's essentially taking the concept of spaced armour and turning two layers with a single cavity into a honeycomb of multiple cavities.

A very nice idea and a sensible application of increasing complexity. The problem (if there is one) will be the manufacturing cost

HEAT projectiles are likely to prove fairly susceptible to this design, because spaced armour is already one of the best purely material defences as once the plasma jet starts coming apart it dissipates force quite quickly.

I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics, but I'd think the honeycomb as suggested should have a degree of elasticity that a solid block wouldn't, which would suggest a HESH-style spalling-inducing warhead would be less effective too.

Suitably high-velocity purely kinetic penetrators like APFSDS, on the other hand, will probably do rather better provided they don't disintegrate - a cavity of a similar size to the penetrator won't cause much in the way of deflection - and since they're designed to go through the same volume of solid material, the odds are in their favour.

The holes could be designed tp disperse energy or heat.

For ground vehicles it's a matter of weight; for spaceships, volume matters.

Back