[Moon Toad Publishing] Ship Book: Type A Free Trader

middenface

Cosmic Mongoose
type-a-cover-for-dtrpg.jpg

The Type A free trader is a common classification for a myriad of similar specification vessels in use throughout the vast Third Imperium. This publication details probably the most common class of the Free Trader, the ubiquitous Beowulf class and two variants, the A-P and A-J2.

It is neither a primer on the upkeep of the Beowulf Type A free trader nor a detailed tutorial on how to engage in trade using it.

Contains:

A Description and guided tour of each vessel.
Full colour profiles of several ships currently in service.
A sample crew along with complete character information and backgrounds.
Complete deck plans, specifications and ship data for the Type A and the two Variants.
A3 size deck plans of each ship are included as separate files. (25mm Scale) Play Sheets for each version.

This book is for the Mongoose edition of Traveller and set in the Third Imperium, although it could fit in just about any other setting.

(PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR THE CURRENT EDITION OF TRAVELLER AND NOT THE NEW ONE IN DEVELOPMENT)

Grabbed it.

Noticed that unlike the Type A J2 Free Trader and the Type A Free Trader jpg's included in the purchase, the Type AP Free Trader has an error in it where it shows Deck 2 #12 as Engineering instead of Engineering Control and #13 as Engineering Control instead of Engineering like the other ship variants.

Same issue in the pdf file.

cavebear said:
Grabbed it.

Noticed that unlike the Type A J2 Free Trader and the Type A Free Trader jpg's included in the purchase, the Type AP Free Trader has an error in it where it shows Deck 2 #12 as Engineering instead of Engineering Control and #13 as Engineering Control instead of Engineering like the other ship variants.

Ok, thanks I will have to fix that tomorrow. :(

If you want some more work for tomorrow, the ship name text boxes on both pages 5 and 23 are upside down :)

Another thing perhaps worthy to consider: those are some seriously large dining tables! If you halve them in size (or remove one from the passenger common room) there should be enough space for "lounge areas" with couches both for the crew and passengers, as well as a dedicated galley for the passenger deck. Smaller round tables (1-1,2 m diameter perhaps) with extension panels for when all rooms are double-occupied, or the rectangular tables from your recent Far Trader book should do the trick, and both should be able to squeee in up to 12 sitting guests simulaneously while occupying only approx 3x2 squares - leaving half the passenger common room free to furnish as a lounge.

Aside from that minor little detail (and I know, nothing's stopping me from redecorating in 'my own' ship when playing) I like what I'm seeing. I like it alot. I've never seen a three-deck solution for the Beowulf class before, but it works really well! The air/raft is a great addition for adventurers and pasenger shippers alike, and it's nice to see landing gear and ramps actually take up space on a deckplan.

While the standard and J2 versions are familiar to me from before, the passenger version is a new and interresting concept! Not many ships out there that focus mainly on passengers (except for the 600 ton passenger liner, of course), so this one fills a void within the small-ship market. The three-deck solution works very well here, since passengers and cargo are completely separated from each oher by being on differrent decks, nice.

I know some (perhaps even a lot?) people miss the dual-nose Empress Marava kind of Far Trader in the new Traveller beta, but I must say I'm a fan of the Moon Toad solution: At 200 dton there are jump 1 and 2 versions of the Beowulf, and at 300 dton there's the Marava. Nice!

There are several images of the ship, three-way diagrams as well as action photos from various angles, and examples of ramps and landing gear both up and down, that's helpful for visualising!

Oh, and the previeww file on drivethru RPG was unexcpectedly long and extensive, nice!

I'm sure therer's more to say, but I'm kinda tired now... Great work, as always!

Just noticed that on deck one of the Type AP Free Trader the item labelled as "1" is still called the Passenger Common Room even though that space has now been taken up by two staterooms (2a and 2b).

cavebear said:
Grabbed it.

It's fixed, thanks for spotting it... we really need to proof read these maps.... :)

Annatar Giftbringer said:
If you want some more work for tomorrow, the ship name text boxes on both pages 5 and 23 are upside down :)

Ah, intentional, but yeah I can see where you are coming from there.
Another thing perhaps worthy to consider: those are some seriously large dining tables! If you halve them in size (or remove one from the passenger common room) there should be enough space for "lounge areas" with couches both for the crew and passengers, as well as a dedicated galley for the passenger deck. Smaller round tables (1-1,2 m diameter perhaps) with extension panels for when all rooms are double-occupied, or the rectangular tables from your recent Far Trader book should do the trick, and both should be able to squeee in up to 12 sitting guests simulaneously while occupying only approx 3x2 squares - leaving half the passenger common room free to furnish as a lounge.
Agreed they are huge.. I guess I keep thing Nostromo dining table.. I should really start measuring real things and see how big they actually are. Like doors.
Aside from that minor little detail (and I know, nothing's stopping me from redecorating in 'my own' ship when playing) I like what I'm seeing. I like it alot. I've never seen a three-deck solution for the Beowulf class before, but it works really well! The air/raft is a great addition for adventurers and pasenger shippers alike, and it's nice to see landing gear and ramps actually take up space on a deckplan. /quote]

Glad you like!

I'm sure therer's more to say, but I'm kinda tired now... Great work, as always!

Snippage.. all good stuff! Cheers!

type-a-cover-for-dtrpg.jpg

The Type A free trader is a common classification for a myriad of similar specification vessels in use throughout the vast Third Imperium. This publication details probably the most common class of the Free Trader, the ubiquitous Beowulf class and two variants, the A-P and A-J2.

It is neither a primer on the upkeep of the Beowulf Type A free trader nor a detailed tutorial on how to engage in trade using it.

Contains:

A Description and guided tour of each vessel.
Full colour profiles of several ships currently in service.
A sample crew along with complete character information and backgrounds.
Complete deck plans, specifications and ship data for the Type A and the two Variants.
A3 size deck plans of each ship are included as separate files. (25mm Scale) Play Sheets for each version.

This book is for the Mongoose edition of Traveller and set in the Third Imperium, although it could fit in just about any other setting.

(PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR THE CURRENT EDITION OF TRAVELLER AND NOT THE NEW ONE IN DEVELOPMENT)
Any chance of getting a token page for VTT?

Back