MonQuest

bluejay

Mongoose
You know I've been thinking about a useful contraction of Mongoose RuneQuest. Something more pronounceable than an acronym like MRQ.

So... I came up with MonQuest last night. Pronounced to rhyme with conquest.

Any thoughts ... other than I should get out more??

Hello

What about calling it was it is: RQ4

It worked for Chaosiums 2nd Edition, and in the past nobody said AHRQ, oder "Avalon Hills RuneQuest", but simply RQ3.

I don´t understand why this shouln´t be good enaugh for THIS edition.

Cheers

Osentalka

I'm still calling it "RuneQuest", meaning "current edition". If I were playing RQ3 when it was the current edition, I'd be calling that "RuneQuest".

If I refer to "D&D" I mean 3.5.

When another RQ version supercedes it, then I'll be looking for a qualifier :)

I have to say, bluejay, that I read this thinking someone was working on a MRQ for Japan... the Quest for a Sword (family name): MonQuest!

I will type it MRQ, but you may have me saying MonQuest when I talk... I am lazy and said MonQuest is easier... typed MRQ is easer! :lol:

Alterantives to MRQ

GooseQuest? ( :>slap!<: )
DuckQuest (why should the geese have all the fun)
UKQuest (We're not in Californai anymore Toto)
MoonQuest? (Hey we don't have one yet in Imperal Age)
RuneGoose
MoRune :)D)
Durulz & Dragonewts (D&D)
New Coke
New Quest (as opposed to RuneQuest Classic]
:wink:

You's is all wack, yo! I be lampin' wit MRQ in 'da crib. Yeaaaaaaah, boyeeeeee!

*ahem*

Yes, indeed, Flava Flav IS in the house.

mthomason said:
Tunnels and Trollkin?

:D

Rune Lords and Walktapi?

Hey, White Bear & Red Moon is free again. or Wyrms Friends & God Learners.

Runecasters

or, for the neg crowd (and remeber it is tounge-in-cheek)

RuinedQuest

:wink:

I've been making so many changes, I don't think I can call my game MRQ any more. I've been calling it RQ-M, or Runequest Modern, but since I intend to use the same ruleset for Glorantha and Ashfar when I get around to setting campaigns in those settings.

Osentalka said:

Technicaly yes, but there is a draft of what would have been RQ4 that's been circulating for over a decade so calling MRQ that, while accurate, could also cause some confusion. I'd rather continue reffering to the RQ4 draft as RQ4. My brain is just wired that way by now.

Simon Hibbs

Osentalka said:

Except that it really isn't. RQ4 is the version put together by Avalon Hill in the mid-90s. (It never saw print, for various reasons, but the version is out there and lots of us have had copies of it and incorporated bits-n-pieces into our games from it.) It'd just be confusing to refer to this as RQ4.

Good points about RQ4. I remember reading the text file... wasn't it called something like RQ4: Adventures in Glorantha?

I did work with some of the rule alterations for a while, essentially playing RQ3.5. Wasn't bad... MonQuest is better though...

atgxtg said:

RQ5 could also be RQ slayers which has also never seen the light of the day.

Let it be RQ6....oh wait RQ6 is maybe the version Steve Perrin has on his home page.

Ok. RQ7?

Of course the best is RQ 2006. Its relatively impossible to find 2005 predecessing versions.

:p

Enpeze said:
atgxtg said:

RQ5 could also be RQ slayers which has also never seen the light of the day.

Let it be RQ6....oh wait RQ6 is maybe the version Steve Perrin has on his home page.

Ok. RQ7?

Of course the best is RQ 2006. Its relatively impossible to find 2005 predecessing versions.

:p

RQ slayers was officall released as RuneSlayers, so that takes it out of the loop freeing up RQ-5.

Steve Perrins game on his homepage is called SPQR (Steve Perrin's Quest Rules).

RQ5 seems clear. Not that is is any easier to roll off than MRQ.

MonQuest reminds me of an RPG about Xialoin martial artists, warrior chimpanzees, or both.

And Mongoose Quest would be weird; "Oh, where of where could my mongoose have gone? Oh, here it is!"

MRQ or RQ4 is fine for me. But does pose an interesting question of what to call the variant games that are going to inevitably result from Mongoose's Open Content declaration. Including "Quest" in every title would be annoying -- especially since there are other games out there with no relationship to RQ that use that naming convention.

Michael Hopcroft said:
MonQuest reminds me of an RPG about Xialoin martial artists, warrior chimpanzees, or both.

And Mongoose Quest would be weird; "Oh, where of where could my mongoose have gone? Oh, here it is!"

MRQ or RQ4 is fine for me. But does pose an interesting question of what to call the variant games that are going to inevitably result from Mongoose's Open Content declaration. Including "Quest" in every title would be annoying -- especially since there are other games out there with no relationship to RQ that use that naming convention.

I belive the SRD refers to it as D100 system.

Not very orginal, but then again, neither is the OGL concept.

Back