Minbari Fact Book questions

Greg Smith

Mongoose
A couple of small queries spring to mind after reading this excellent book:

Does a Minbari character gain a free clan/caste based feat in the same way as human characters get a free racial feat?

The Shields of Silver feat gives a +1 dodge bonus, which stacks with the Dodge feat, but the Dodge feat isn't available in the B5 game, is it?

Greg Smith said:
Does a Minbari character gain a free clan/caste based feat in the same way as human characters get a free racial feat?

From reading the section, Clan/Caste feats are not free. Traits and Combat Styles are "Free" feats for the Minbari.

The Shields of Silver feat gives a +1 dodge bonus, which stacks with the Dodge feat, but the Dodge feat isn't available in the B5 game, is it?

Going by the main rulebook it is not included. It is a nice feat and should really be included. Here it is;
DODGE [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Dex 13.
Benefit: During your action, you designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to your Defense Value against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action.
A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to you Defense Value (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

Just a thought: humans get a free feat because of their race and Minbari warrior caste can get a free fighting style, isn't this unbalancing? Or just plain unfair?

Hi, Greg. Let me field this one.

I considered the balance issue very carefully and decided... to heck with it. The Minbari are not exactly balanced to begin with. I was stuck with either 'dimming' them down to bring them in line with humanity or presenting them accurately as I saw them in JMS's great work. You can see which avenue I took.

In the end, play balance is not as important in Babylon 5 because, to misquote, 'The (role) Play's the Thing.' A Babylon 5 game is not about combat prowess; it's about stories and plots and intrifgue and all that stuiff that made the show so fantastic to begin with.

As a paeon to game balance, you should be happy to know that every character race is getting some similar treatment and advantages. The Social Status system in the Centauri book is a prime example.

I hope this helps at least explain a few things,
-August, Ranger Two

Mongoose August said:
Hi, Greg. Let me field this one.

In the end, play balance is not as important in Babylon 5 because, to misquote, 'The (role) Play's the Thing.' A Babylon 5 game is not about combat prowess; it's about stories and plots and intrifgue and all that stuiff that made the show so fantastic to begin with.

I can agree with that. I wasn't so much bothered about game balance, as with my players saying 'he got something cool out of his race book, how come I didn't?'.

As a paeon to game balance, you should be happy to know that every character race is getting some similar treatment and advantages. The Social Status system in the Centauri book is a prime example.

My quibble wasn't so much that characters are getting new advantages, more a case that while all humans and warrior caste Minbari get an advantage, religious and worker caste Minbari don't. Personally I would allow them a free caste feat in my game.

I hope this helps at least explain a few things,
-August, Ranger Two

That it does. Thank you.

Me too. I'm looking forward to seeing how Mongoose describe the Centauri underclasses. Some of what I have been working on for a while now would benefit from knowing how they are handled, given that the fate of fallen Centauri isn't shown (much) in the TV show.

Greg Smith said:
I can agree with that. I wasn't so much bothered about game balance, as with my players saying 'he got something cool out of his race book, how come I didn't?'.

That's such a gamer reaction when a new book comes out. :D

look at it this way.. the Minbari are suposed to be kickass in battle.. if you look at the show this proves it.. even Leneer could kick pretty much any humans ass without breaking a sweat if minbari did infact sweat..... and the warrior cast are suposed to be the best..... and honestly how many players do you know of that would play a worker cast minbari... I personaly dont know many..... in my mind a Minbari in battle is worth any 3 humans in battle.... and youll probably find when the Narn book comes out that the Narn are better in battle then the Humans. and remember even in B5 Dogma we are still one of the yongest races if not the youngest give us time..... just my 2 cents

An error in a table was pointed out to me last week. The age chart has Female listed twice with different stats.

I'm assuming that the first one (the one on top - is that Freudian?) is Male.

Is that correct?

Sidney

Mongoose August said:
Correct, El Cid. The one on top is male... and very, very Freudian.

:lol: Now we know a LITTLE too much August.

I must be dumb, I missed most of these errors and glitches, maybe
I just get too "into" the setting as I read. :shock:

Just a question.

Is the Minbari body temperature really 98.6 degrees Celsius?!! I mean, that's awfully... hot. I know that Delenn isn't a true Minbari anymore but, poor Sheridan. :oops:

That was my thought too... :mrgreen:

I still want to know the answer to my question, though. 98.6 degrees Celsius seems awfully high (practically the boiling point). It would explain why you don't see a lot of Minbari at the same time but it doesn't seem logical. ;) My guess is that it's supposed to be Fahrenheit as the human body temperature is 98.6 degrees F or (37 degrees C) and I will treat it as thus until I hear otherwise.

*Sheridan breathes a sigh of relief*

I'm sorry if this is awfully obvious to you who still ;) doesn't use the Swedish (sic!) Celsius (or Centigrade) system (you barbarians you) but I'm not very used to Fahrenheit (a lot of parenthesis there).

/Dr Goth

Greg Smith said:
My quibble wasn't so much that characters are getting new advantages, more a case that while all humans and warrior caste Minbari get an advantage, religious and worker caste Minbari don't. Personally I would allow them a free caste feat in my game.

I agree Greg, I'd probably give the Relgious/Worker castes a free caste feat as recompense. I know any of my players who went the Relgious caste route would feel cheated if a human and warrior caste got a free feat and they didn't get something.

I am very interested in what the Centauri and Narns get, as well as the bonuses for the League...

Greg Smith said:
We here in England use both, especially when talking about the weather.

Indeed, though Farenheit seems to be reserved for when it's hot and Centigrade for when it's cold :)

In Scotland we mainly deal in Centigrade :(

Back