Messantia Box Set Maps

GamerGrrl

Mongoose
Hey Ya'll,

I'm new here to the forums, I'm a recently arrived convert from the SJGames/GURPS forums, and it's nice to finally get here. Actually, I'm not totally cured of my GURPS habits, but the fact that my players dislike the system, well... (I don't feel that way, but what're ya gonna do?)

So, they've been buggin' me for the past couple of years to run Conan, so I'm trying my hand at the second edition.

Anyway, I'm a new Conan GM, but as far as gaming goes, I'm a bona fide Ancient One (and, yes, I really am a chick who's also a GM, a very rare breed indeed...) and I've been a gamer since the 70s... my first game wuz Traveller and I've been hooked ever since. I have run every classic game that's worth playing, IMHO ('cept for RQ, but I'm going to remedy that very soon) and I've been a CoC Keeper (and I will shamelessly lay claim to being one of the best- if you can run CoC, you can run anything), and, of course, I've run DnD 'till I'm fairly sick of it. Yeah, I have a complete set of all the ADnD books, and I had a box set of the 3 pamphlets somewhere, but I think those got burned up in the fire in my old apartment... and thereby hangs a tale, in the words of Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Anyway, I hope Matthew gets the rights to CoC someday, that'd be outta sight !! I'd like to see a new rewrite and a fresh perspective. Not that there's anything wrong with the old game, it's just that not enough people play it nowadays...

Anyway, I recently got a real good deal on a new MCOR box set so I decided to run that for my first foray as a Conan GM.

I must confess to being a bit baffled, however, by some of the location maps in the box set (as opposed to the Big City Map).

Particularly, I found the Sewers map to be totally mind-blowing.

First of all, are the small maps just for the GM's use, or are they for combat with miniatures?

If they're for combat, I found that standard d20 minis kind of dwarf them. The counters that came with the set work good, but we like to use minis occaisionally.

But, my primary question is this: *how does the Sewers Map relate to the OGS Hideout tunnel system described in Encounter IV: A Trail... in Book III of the set?

Or is it even supposed to?

If not, why does the text refer (or imply, anyway, if not refer to directly) to "the map" with a key (Area A1, A2, and so forth) ?

Is there a map somewhere that I've missed?

I mean, sure, I could spiffy one up, but isn't that sort of the purpose of a box set, to give you all that stuff?

Not to imply that I'm disappointed in the set, quite the contrary, in fact. However, I'd like to use the stuff that came with it to the fullest extent possible. I'm stubborn that way- if I play a game that comes in a box, I will use the stuff that came in the box even when substitutions might prove more utilitarian.

I'd like to hear how everyone else that's run this adventure dealt with this issue. My game is this afternoon, and I'm going to run the sewers encounter then (to wit I will probably just use my chessex battlemat), but even if you don't see this 'till a week from now, I'd still like to hear your thoughts on it, and I'd especially like to hear what those GMs of you who've run this adventure did, or if you played it, what your GM did.

Thanks,
Courtney Patricia Parsons aka "GG"

First of all, welcome! This forum has a small but great group of posters. Not only are they an extremely useful resource to Conan GMs, but many of the threads they create are fun to read in general.

If you were local, I would ask you to run a COC game for me. I'm chomping at the bit to play COC, but can't find a willing GM. I'd love to test your claim as one of the best! ;)

Concerning your specific questions about the Messantia box, I recommend you search the forum (which is always recommended before starting a new thread). You will find that this topic has already been addressed a few times (although you're probably not going to like the answers you get).

Again, welcome, and good luck!

Welcome aboard GamerGrrl.

Nothing to add to Style's post.

There is also a new system for Cthulhu: http://www.pelgranepress.com/trail/index.html

Welcome to our geek rantings!

GamerGrrl wrote:
I'm a bona fide Ancient One
Like most of us, pal. Seems like we're an endangered species...

Style wrote:
Concerning your specific questions about the Messantia box, I recommend you search the forum (which is always recommended before starting a new thread). You will find that this topic has already been addressed a few times (although you're probably not going to like the answers you get).

You can begin with the most recent one:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9553

Back