Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society - Volumes 7 & 8

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Volumes 7 and 8 of the Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society are now available and ready to ship! Each is jam-packed full of Traveller articles, including new adventures, playable alien races, creatures from the interstellar bestiary, patrons, encounters, a fleet's worth of ships, and new gear to aid your travelling among the stars.

You can grab your own copies right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/collections/sourcebooks

JTAS Volume 7 cover - Front.jpg

JTAS Volume 8 cover - Front.jpg

Mapping is so central to Traveller and Volume 7's article "Stellar Cartography" by Dalton Calford is great. The explanation for two dimensional map representation in a three dimensional space is elegant and the art very straightforward and clean. Its worth a purchase for both a physical and electronic copy.

Mapping is so central to Traveller and Volume 7's article "Stellar Cartography" by Dalton Calford is great. The explanation for two dimensional map representation in a three dimensional space is elegant and the art very straightforward and clean.
We are actually looking for opinions on that article, and how it is being received - we want to know if that should be canon-canon as an explanation...

It's a really good article and would work well enough at the subsector scale. The bigger you get, though, the more problems any 2D representation of 3D space is going to become. The other problem, if I read it correctly, is that the map would only be valid from one particular hex. I'm pretty sure if redrawing the map from a different system's hex, you'd get a very different looking map. Can't prove it but that's what spins in my head.

Every time I've tried to do any realistic map for the local stars around Sol, I eventually run into what I called the 'flayed fish problem': two stars that are supposed to be really close together end up on opposite sides of the map.

While I was considering the question, I came up with an idea that I think could work - but not for subsectors and sectors as currently defined. You'd have to go with 49 hex 'megahexes' (Anyone member those from Melee and Wizard?) for subsectors, and to show multiple subsectors, every subsector would need to have a different map centred on it to show the 'new' six adjacent subsectors. And even then, you still have a bit of a 'corner problem'. Easier to explain with pictures...that I haven't drawn... In any event, while it would result in close-to-accurate 2D hex star maps, it wouldn't be a Traveller map in any sense. Closer to a 2300AD map (or set of maps) if anything. Of course, for continuity purposes, 2300 is going off a 40-year-old star map with lots of missing systems and recomputed distances, but that's an unrelated issue.

From my first read through it, I really liked it. I intend to go back through it, thinking harder about the math and geometry. I'll try to do that soon.

Back