I'm planning to send my players to Kalte...

If you don't have any Kalte Firespheres, something is dreadfully wrong :)

Don't forget the Baknar, especially if people start suffering from the cold (much as I hate to say it, a copy of WotC's Frostbite supplement could be useful)

Ice Barbarians (don't forget the kids on their backs armed with bows)

If you have it (although if you're asking this question I have to guess you don't) I'd recommend reading the Caverns of Kalte from cover to cover, noting monster entries (I believe theres quite a few not covered in the book you might have to find something from a third party to modify for, or simply make up yourself). I don't have my copy handy right now or I'd go refresh my memory - will post something tonight if nobody else has by then :)

Check out Projet Aon website for an online version of the above book for reference material, Kalkoth, Baknar, Kanu dogs & Javek are just three beasts i can remember from there. I'd imagine some aquatic animals, similar to killer whales (orca), pengins etc.

Check out Projet Aon website for an online version of the above book for reference material, Kalkoth, Baknar, Kanu dogs & Javek are just three beasts i can remember from there. I'd imagine some aquatic animals, similar to killer whales (orca), pengins etc.

Sorry, forgot to sign in first.

Monsters, Creatures, and Other Beings, in order of appearance, reading beginning to end:

Ice Barbarians (if outside, will be on skis and probably with a youngster on their back carrying a small bow for hunting)
Kalkoth (think like a small, short stubby ice lion. Looks like it could pass for an evil Pokemon or something)
Kanu Dogs (used for pulling sleds)
Baknar (Closest approximation is a large horned polar bear, possibly with the stats of a grizzly. Slit their skin and you get a useful but repugnant oil which can be used to keep out the cold - if you can stand the smell)
Ice Barbarian Mutants (Immune to Mindblast, and can use Mindblast on their opponents)
Javek (two-headed serpent)
Doomwolf (probably not native, I think they accompanied the emissaries of the Darklords visiting Vonotar)
Helghast (I think this *was* an emmisary of the Darklords visiting Vonotar)
Akraa'Neonor (undead, was summoned by Vonotar so I don't think you'll find them in Kalte natively)
Crystal Frostwyrm (nasty snake with transparent skin so you can see it's icky innards... ewwww. Shatters into fragments when killed.)

Equipment:

Don't expect to find anything made of wood or metal. The majority of weapons and tools are carved from bone. Metals are rare and extremely valuable.

If you don't mind some bookkeeping, you should keep track of food and other supplies. Make sure players have tents and furs or can otherwise keep warm.

Weird items of the Ancients can be found in the caverns, such as the blue stone discs and triangles used to unlock doors.

Locations:

The caverns of Kalte were constructed by the Ancients, and can be accessed from (amongst other methods) the lower levels of Ikaya the Ice Fortress, numerous cave entrances around Kalte, or accidently should the ice you're walking on give way.

The Ljuk Trading Post is quite possibly the only place in Kalte thats anywhere near safe. The Ice Barbarians value being able to trade with outsiders here, so you're not likely to have an Ice Barbarian infant shoot you in the eye. You can only reach Ljuk by boat in the summer, when the ice melts.

Ikaya the Ice Fortress is the home to the leader of the Ice Barbarians, the Brumalmarc.

Thats all I can come up with for now :)

If you want to get adventurous, you could check this out:

http://www.algonet.se/~thyhe/arc/partBU1.htm

I invented a sect of Kaltese shamans for the ERPG. Might be worth a glance if you're that way inclined.

Depending on your players' levels, you could investigate the Vagadyn Gate inside Ikaya (Section 341 of Caverns of Kalte).

-GB

Then there's those two things listed that baknars eat - gallings and something else - that aren't ever described. I dunno why, "galling" strikes me as maybe a ptarmigan or penguin type thing.

Thanks you the advice. I better go dig out my Caverns of Kalte.
Moved three years ago and half my books are still in boxes.

Back