How will MGPs Glorantha mesh with HeroQuest?

Poi

Mongoose
Two companies each producing material for the same world in different eras.

Will this leave us with two Gloranthas, Greg Stafford's and MGP's, or are efforts being made to keep them tied together?

I suspect this will turn out a mixed-bag in the end, with a lot of what Mongoose does getting "Gregged"

That said, there is plenty of "unofficial" source material for RQ2/3 that perfectly playable (just not canon).

Note that Mongoose RQ Open Game license does not cover Glorantha:

Perhaps the best news of all is that RuneQuest will be an Open system, meaning that publishers and players alike will be free to produce their own derivative works, using the RuneQuest rules and logo, for publication. Though Glorantha will not be Open in this fashion, the free-to-use licence will permit new settings to be written using the RuneQuest rules, as well as scenarios and rules expansions.

My take is that the two eras are separate enough that there shouldn't be a conflict. All most of us know about the 2nd Age is some basic time lines. It should be pretty easy to stay within that and still have lots of room for development.

There's 800 years time in there. Think about our world in 1200 vs. now and how you can easily write a campaign in the 1200s without expecting anything in it to have lasting affects to today.

RMS said:
My take is that the two eras are separate enough that there shouldn't be a conflict. All most of us know about the 2nd Age is some basic time lines. It should be pretty easy to stay within that and still have lots of room for development.

There's 800 years time in there. Think about our world in 1200 vs. now and how you can easily write a campaign in the 1200s without expecting anything in it to have lasting affects to today.

Hmmm 1200's John signs Magna Carta, pretty important for England at least.......

estarriol said:
RMS said:

Hmmm 1200's John signs Magna Carta, pretty important for England at least.......

Sure, and that'd be part of the general time line I mentioned above. It's a good example of exactly what I'm talking about. You could easily let a bunch of PCs wander all over the place in England at the time, doing all kinds of things, and so long as a couple of gross things (like the Magna Carta) aren't messed with too much, it'll be lost to the fog of history. Even if the Magna Carta got moved by a couple of years one way or the other, it'd hardly matter now. In fact for a fantasy campaign, there's no reason you could have it not happen and then let the players speculate about what affects it has later.

Hammer of Ulric said:
Two companies each producing material for the same world in different eras.

Will this leave us with two Gloranthas, Greg Stafford's and MGP's, or are efforts being made to keep them tied together?
Though the setting is the same, the way to play the adventures is different of course with HeroQuest being more epic and heroic in scale. However I learnt that this new RuneQuest will provide rules for these epic feats (in the 2nd age sourcebook).

Back