Horror genre (this would be a good question for Hyrum)

Mangus

Mongoose
Now that RuneQuest is being approached as a generic ruleset I am curious how it will handle the horror genre. Taking into consideration that the Call of Cthulhu rules are related to older versions of RuneQuest I am guessing that MRQ will handle horror gaming just fine. Specifically, how does the new RuneQuest handle fright checks, and insanity rules? If these rules are not present how easy would it be to import these rules from CoC? Two settings that come to mind that I think would make good crossover materials for running a horror game powered by RuneQuest are Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages, and H.P. Lovecraft’s Dreamlands (DreamQuest if you will).

Hyrum, maybe you could shed some light on this one for me. I have been following the newest edition of Chill that OtherWorld Creations has been working on, and so far I love what I see. Since you seem to have had your hands on the MRQ rules for sometime now, and you have an obvious love of the horror genre, maybe you can share some insight. Can we expect a ChillQuest edition in the future?

Thanks,

Mangus

Mangus said:
Being that RuneQuest is being approached as a generic ruleset now I am curious how it will handle the horror genre. Being that Call of Cthulhu is related to older versions of RuneQuest I am guessing that the rules will handle horror gaming just fine. Specifically, how does the new RuneQuest handle fright checks, and insanity rules? If these rules are not present how easy would it be to import these rules from CoC? Two settings that come to mind that I think would make good crossover materials for running a horror game powered by RuneQuest are Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages, and H.P. Lovecraft’s Dreamlands (DreamQuest if you will).

Hyrum, maybe you could shed some light on this one for me. I have been following the newest edition of Chill that OtherWorld Creations has been working on, and so far I love what I see. Since you seem to have had your hands on the MRQ rules for sometime now, and you have an obvious love of the horror genre, maybe you can share some insight. Can we expect a ChillQuest edition in the future?

Thanks,

Mangus

I haven't seen the rules in the Companion, but there are no Sanity rules in the corebook. However, there are OGL sanity rules in Unearthed Arcana, which were lifted from CoC d20.

While I don't think we'll see a ChillQuest (it's possible, but not for awhile) we've definitely talked about doing horror using the new rules, and we'll soon be announcing an RQ version of one of our other game lines. :)

Hyrum.

Hyrum,

THis is a little off topic, but I'm curious.

How is your company's version of Chill? Is it like the Pacesetter version, the Mayfair version, or completely different?

The last playtest stuff I saw (about a year or so ago), it looked like Chill in name only. Totally new system. If the changes MRQ make you howl, you probably won't dig this either. MHO anyway...

atgxtg said:
Hyrum,

How is your company's version of Chill? Is it like the Pacesetter version, the Mayfair version, or completely different?

It's an updated version of the Mayfair edition. We purchased the game from Mayfair and have been working on the new edition for awhile now.

We have a (sadly neglected) website at http://www.chillrpg.com but most of the action takes place on our playtest list at Yahoo Groups. If you're interested in seeing the rules, PM me with your email address and I can add you.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
While I don't think we'll see a ChillQuest (it's possible, but not for awhile) we've definitely talked about doing horror using the new rules, and we'll soon be announcing an RQ version of one of our other game lines. :)

Hyrum.

I really hope its Forbidden Kingdoms. I think it would make up for the lack of Pulp Cthulhu.

Doc

Personally, I loved the Mayfair edition of Chill, and the new edition Hyrum and crew are working on seems to be taking things in the right direction. Horror is at the top of my shortlist for role-playing genres that I enjoy, and right now I am grooving on all things RuneQuest, so my hope is to come up with a game that blends the two together. Like I stated before, I am considering Cthulhu Dark Ages, and Lovecraft’s Dreamlands. If anyone has any suggestions along these lines please feel free to share.

Thanks again,

Mangus

Mangus said:
Personally, I loved the Mayfair edition of Chill, and the new edition Hyrum and crew are working on seems to be taking things in the right direction.

Glad you like the rules. :)

We're definitely in the same position as Mongoose is concerning the CHILL update. Some fans love the new rules, others can't stand them. My goal is just for people to understand that we love the game as much as they do, and we're not out to ruin it.

Hyrum.

Well, some trivia (don't know if you already know it);
Chill was translated and released in Sweden by Äventyrspel as Chock (many years ago).

Though I found the rules somewhat burdensome with all the tables used for resolving things, I really loved it. We played Horror with Chock, we even played a Super Heroic home-brew setting with it, which combined horror and super heroes (that was whacky).

I still have the weak papper box in my shelf here, gets nostalgic whenever I open and look inside it.

Archer said:
Chill was translated and released in Sweden by Äventyrspel as Chock (many years ago).

Though I found the rules somewhat burdensome with all the tables used for resolving things, I really loved it. We played Horror with Chock, we even played a Super Heroic home-brew setting with it, which combined horror and super heroes (that was whacky).

I still have the weak papper box in my shelf here, gets nostalgic whenever I open and look inside it.

I've never seen Chock but I have heard of it.

CHILL's a great game. Made all the better with updated rules. :)

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Archer said:

I've never seen Chock but I have heard of it.

CHILL's a great game. Made all the better with updated rules. :)

Hyrum.

Well, chock is basically as straightforward translation, but using the art of one of Äventyrsspels regular artists.

Until it was mentioned in this thread, I thought that Chill was gone forever. Guess I will have to check it out now, just to see how things have changed. Though, as this thread discuss, I would prefer to see a horror RQ version; ChillQuest ;)

Until it was mentioned in this thread, I thought that Chill was gone forever.

Well don't get overly excited. No disrespect to Hyrum, but I first heard about it at a Gen Con about 4 years ago, I think this Gen Con will make it 5? For a game that was fast, solid, and versitile in both previous editions, that seems like a long time to me.

Mac V said:
Until it was mentioned in this thread, I thought that Chill was gone forever.

Well don't get overly excited. No disrespect to Hyrum, but I first heard about it at a Gen Con about 4 years ago, I think this Gen Con will make it 5? For a game that was fast, solid, and versitile in both previous editions, that seems like a long time to me.

No worries. :)

Yes it's taken us awhile (this GC will be 3 years. We announced the purchase in '03), but we're hoping it'll be worth it.

I posted the following on the CHILL website, but thought I'd post it here as well:

We've announced to our disribution partners the following new product to be released in October:

Chill Quickstart - 32 page intro adventure, B&W, $5.00.

The long wait is about to end.

Hyrum.

Great idea Hyrm. Seriously. Even with the things I saw and hated in the playtest, I will buy that for $5. Maybe enough has changed that I will like it. If not, it's still worth the money. Will itbe a PDF?

Mac V said:
Great idea Hyrm. Seriously. Even with the things I saw and hated in the playtest, I will buy that for $5. Maybe enough has changed that I will like it. If not, it's still worth the money. Will itbe a PDF?

That's the goal. :) We want people to try it out, and give it a test run.

We'll make a PDF of it sometime after the dead tree version is out.

If you remember, what was the last version of the ruleset you saw?

Hyrum.

Mac V said:
I couldn't tell you. It was about the time that you released the stats for the Zombie.

Oh wow, it's been awhile then. :) I think you'll find the rules very different, and closer to the Mayfair version.

Hyrum.

Mac V said:
The last playtest stuff I saw (about a year or so ago), it looked like Chill in name only. Totally new system. If the changes MRQ make you howl, you probably won't dig this either. MHO anyway...

LOL! Now that is the funniest thing I've read all week. It's probably spot on, especially considering that I preferred the Pacesetter edtion to the Mayfair one (I think I might have liked the Mayfair one better if the test was more legible. Honesetly having the book look like it was written by a demented serial killer in blood/crayon/whatever might have been artistic, but it made it impossible to read-especially in low light conditions).

HyrumOWC said:
atgxtg said:
Hyrum,

It's an updated version of the Mayfair edition. We purchased the game from Mayfair and have been working on the new edition for awhile now.

We have a (sadly neglected) website at http://www.chillrpg.com but most of the action takes place on our playtest list at Yahoo Groups. If you're interested in seeing the rules, PM me with your email address and I can add you.

Hyrum.

I'll bite :D. I'll check out the webpage and PM you for the addtional info. Heck, I'll probably send off the $5 for the playtest rules when they are ready. It's worth it just to sate my curiosity. I always considered CHill a better horror RPG that Cthulhu, and I'm a Chaosium devotee!

Thanks Hyrum. :D

Strangely, I've run more successful horror adventures in non-horror RPGs. I find I get better shock and suprise effects that way. IMO once they players are aware that they are playing a horror game, they get somewhat over protective (carrying around siver bullets and wodden stakes for a daytrip to the beach). Worse still, they become almost unfazable. Rather than being scared and repulused by the brondrained corpses, they get sort of matter-of-fact about it. Probably entirely reasonable under the circumstances (monster hunters) but terrible from a mood atmosphere perspective.

Hey, I guess that makes me another advocate of the ChillQuest idea.

atgxtg said:
Strangely, I've run more successful horror adventures in non-horror RPGs. I find I get better shock and suprise effects that way. IMO once they players are aware that they are playing a horror game, they get somewhat over protective (carrying around siver bullets and wodden stakes for a daytrip to the beach).

That was my thinking exactly. The game I have in mind will be set up as a mythical Dark Ages game, and the players will be expecting all the standard fantasy trappings -- all powered by RuneQuest of course. Just how much magic I will introduce is as of yet undecided. Imagine their surprise when the "dragon" they have been stalking for several game sessions turns out to be a star-spawn of the Great Old One Himself... I can already see the sanity points actually leaving their bodies and floating out of the game room! :twisted:

Mangus

Back