High Guard Playtest?

I know this may seem like jumping the gun, but, high guard should be finished first before the ship construction rules are finalized for the core rules. Otherwise we will have the mess we had before with two incompatible systems.

So, since I have not seen any playtest material for Highguard, I would make the following proposals.

1.) All standard drives (type A, B etc) have a series of standard modifications in place that modify them from the raw values that base engineering would create. These modifications would include room for the crew to maneauver in and around the drives in order to service them while in operation vs having the whole ship needing to be put into a drydock. They would also have a level of redundancy that would allow them to work or be repaired after a single hit. They would also allow for modular design, thus they are effectively a big black box to the crews, allowing for inexperienced or low tech areas to build higher tech equipment. All the standard engines would also be built/engineered around the average imperial tech level.
2.) The high guard system would be based around a basic performance regime, ie, a fixed % of displacement hull with fixed power and fixed mass per tech level would give a fixed performance.
The following is not intended for play - only for example as I am coming up with the values from the top of my head.
Code:
Manauver G
TL7  Volume=(G*Disp)% PowerReq=(G*Volume*3) Mass=Volume*2 MaxG=1
TL8  Volume=(G*Disp)% PowerReq=(G*Volume*2) Mass=Volume*3 MaxG=1
TL9  Volume=(G*Disp*3)% PowerReq=(G*Volume*4) Mass=Volume*2 MaxG=2
TL10 Volume=(G*Disp*2)% PowerReq=(G*Volume*5) Mass=Volume*2.5 MaxG=3

As you can see, the type of table shown above can let the player decide upon the performance and the volume, power requirements and mass would naturally come from that.
Now, that also means that the engines can not be serviced in place, a single hit would totally slag them and they are non-standard so that price would be an order of magnitude more than the standard drives in the same performance class.

Military ships may put in extra armour and redundancy giving the ability to take 4 or five hits before being slagged while commercial drives can take one hit before being totally slagged.

Starships would want the ability for the crew to service the ship in the field, possibly doubling or tripling the volume, while other designs call for standard modular parts for quick replacement/repair (this is true in standard designs and military designs).

The number of options possible are beyond what this simple email can address, but, what is important, is what the base formulas are, and, what the options are that are in the standard configurations.

These two elements would be enough to handle the needs of the core rules while allowing for future enhancement for highguard once it is released.

A perfect example of this would be the fact that "Standard Commercial Hulls" have a single hard point per 100 displacement tonnes, but, a custom hull may be designed with any number of hardpoints, but the hardpoints themselves cost money.

This would allow for designers to eventually be able to create any type of vessel, but economics would cause the classic traveller universe to be the net result.

best regards

Dalton[/code]

I think Mongoose High Guard shouldn't deviate from High Guard's drive formulae. Why make another incompatible system? Why not have access to all those ships already designed... well the ones that aren't broken anyway.

At the same time, MHG's small starship design isn't HG compatible, so how do you match them up?

pasuuli said:
I think Mongoose High Guard shouldn't deviate from High Guard's drive formulae. Why make another incompatible system? Why not have access to all those ships already designed... well the ones that aren't broken anyway.

At the same time, MHG's small starship design isn't HG compatible, so how do you match them up?

I'd rather see MHG keep to the MGT/CT percentages...

AKAramis said:
pasuuli said:

I'd rather see MHG keep to the MGT/CT percentages...

I completely understand. It could be that MGT's percentages opens up new potentials (so to speak), without displacing the old ones (so to speak).

Back