GM Definitions throughout the Years - Cool Article

Strom

Mongoose
Came across this interesting article on GM definitions as described by the author: "Treasure Tables has taken 30+ role-playing games and written down their definitions of what the game-master does."

http://www.treasuretables.org/2005/12/how-different-rpgs-define-the-gms-role

I like Conan's definition:

One player will take the role of the Games Master, controlling the people and creatures who dwell within the land,..The Games Master sets the Hyborian Age before the the other players, allowing them to explore everywhere from the unknown islands west of Zingara to the semi-legendary kingdoms beyond the deserts and steppes of eastern Shem, from the frozen lands of the AEsir and Vanir to the lush jungles of Kush

Of all the definitions presented in the article, Conan's makes you want to adventure! It sounds like a advertisement to join the Marines and explore the mythical land - by incorporating the great "character" of Hyboria it enhances the excitement for the game, IMO. Granted it would appear that Conan is definitely for experienced gamers as the description is not very specific like some of the other games.

Good description, however...it emphasizes the LANDS. The cultures, the peoples, the civilizations should also be stressed.... ancient ruins, hidden dangers, vile creatures lurking in the shadows, voluptuous damsels in need of a good rescue. :D Just my 2 cents...

Raven Blackwell said:
Yogah of Yag said:
voluptuous damsels in need of a good rescue

Or needing rescuing from said damsels.....all those evil sorceresses and such usually are on the attractive side too. 8)

Superb point, Raven. Some of those damsels are she-wolves in sheep's lingerie. :shock:

Both of you make good points. However, the article is about the descriptions of the role of the Gm as described by different RPG games over 30 years. The fact that the Conan RPG includes the description of the lands within the description of the role of the Gm is more colorful than most of the other descriptions. A description of the game should include the cultures, people, ruins etc. that Yogah mentions and in fact the RPG does a great job of bringing all of those descriptors to life, IMO. It's one of the reasons I like the game so much - the diverse lands of the Hyborian Age.

Which is the advantage of using a fantasy world that has been almost a century in development from the author's creation of said world by multiple authors of varying degree right up to Mr Darlage's current additions. That's a lot of detail to draw on.

Raven Blackwell said:
Which is the advantage of using a fantasy world that has been almost a century in development from the author's creation of said world by multiple authors of varying degree right up to Mr Darlage's current additions. That's a lot of detail to draw on.

Well said. It's that type of creativity and originality that distinguishes Robert E. Howard as one of the greatest American writers who isn't given the respect he deserves. Others have been able to create - with varying degrees of success - from the original work. Vincent has a wonderful eye for detail and appreciation for the core stories and that is a big reason his work is so good. Plus he is very talented and has a complete understanding of the game dynamics.

The GM as 'referee' strikes a chord with me this cold January morning. I start my next club-based CONAN campagin next week and last night we did some character generation as the party is going from four players to seven. The first new character ready a Shemitish nomad Joined the party as a guide. they are travelling through Shem, Within ten minutes of getting his Character written down he decided to make 'advances' on the two female characters (one played by my wife, the other by his partner).

The first time he picked the Khitan noble/scholor and gave her a firm swat on the nether region only to discover that his will save isn't high enough. Then he tried the same with a Cimmerian Barbarian....

Still we run 8 week game sessions so plenty of time next week for character gen........

There is one bit of 'GM' lore that appeared in, I think, A.d.&d. 2nd ed. which I can't quote exactly but it went something like....

"The G.M. is the final authority, The rules here are a guidline it is your game if you don't like something you can change it or ignore it"

This as far as I am concerned is the only _real_ rule for RPG's and should be printed in big letters on an otherwise blank page at the begining of every rule book just so those players that have memorised the rest of the book and every supplement ever brought out know

Evil_Trevor said:
Within ten minutes of getting his Character written down he decided to make 'advances' on the two female characters (one played by my wife, the other by his partner).

The first time he picked the Khitan noble/scholor and gave her a firm swat on the nether region only to discover that his will save isn't high enough. Then he tried the same with a Cimmerian Barbarian....

LMAO! :lol:

When the Shemite tried to pull this off how did the other PCs react?
Let's hope this was role-play and not LARP! :shock: :D
If I got "friendly" with a Cimmerian Barbarian lass I would be in a world of hurt--even if she liked it!

Yogah of Yag said:
Raven Blackwell said:
Yogah of Yag said:
voluptuous damsels in need of a good rescue
Or needing rescuing from said damsels.....all those evil sorceresses and such usually are on the attractive side too. 8)
Superb point, Raven. Some of those damsels are she-wolves in sheep's lingerie. :shock:
hey, i dont wear wooly nickers. :lol:

i wear silk or leather usually [depending on the job?]
or sometimes chainmail [when i'm not in the mood. or when i pose for a red sonja cover job?! ] :wink:
----
hey RAVEN, nice point. 8)
----
other vital things that should be emphasised are..
..the GM [DM] should have a good sense of HUMOUR. [ i usually designed my scenarios to include a humourous situation. often including an npc i could use to inject more fun]

..+ should be good at IMPROVISING when needed [ this only gets better + easier with more experience as a gm. but secretly changing some things on-the-fly to help the game flow better, or to help a very unlucky player, will give your players much more enjoyment]

+ CHANGE /modify anything u want! there are NO rpg rule-books or holy bibles. they are just GUIDE-books [ i had a close group of friends who were gms + players, so we would discuss + agree on any major changes. we vastly improved the playability of all our rpgs thru our combined ideas + experience]

+ TIME! rpgs take lots of time + dedication to play + enjoy more. [the biggest problem is always lack of playing time + arranging sessions?]

+ WARNING! rpgs are very addictive [with a good gm + nice group of players]. + u may continue to buy rpg books for the rest of your life, even when u dont have time to play any more? :)

Ahem...Getting back on topic:
If I had to describe RPG and the concept of the GM to a noob...
I would define a GM/DM as a storyteller, as of the Olden Days ere TV, movies, radio, and Internet with one or more Listeners to the exciting tale. In this case the Listeners, instead of merely hearing about the story of Jack and the Beanstalk (for example), may take part in the telling and act out the role of either Jack or the Giant. Rules provide architecture to the scenario, dictating what can be accomplished and to what extent. Each time the story is told the outcome can be vastly different, depending on the narrative decisions of the Storyteller and/or the Audience, as well as the outcome of random variables (in the form of the dice-rolls).
How's that? :D

This, I believe, is the most appropriate definition:

Munchkin - Munchkin Master’s Guide (Steve Jackson Games, 2003)

This is the book for the DM…or, as you may prefer to call yourself, the Referee, the Game Master, or God. This is the book that tells you how to use the power that is rightfully yours. Keep your players happy, if you wish…or abuse them like the helpless pawns that they are…you’re in control. (Page 5 of 48)

throrII said:
Keep your players happy, if you wish…or abuse them like the helpless pawns that they are…you’re in control. [Page 5 of 48][/i]

I think I'm seeing the link between RPGs and concepts like the Temptress. 8)

In any case there's always my defination:

GM: Creator and absolute Tyrant of their own small universe.

My favorite has to be HoL (Human occupied Landfill), in which they make fun of Sci-fi settings, especially GW's Warhammer 40k.

HoL - Core book (Black Dog Game Factory, 1995)

In agreeing to be HoLmester [sic], you have accepted multiple burdens:
1. Speaking to those writhing, whining, benumbed nematodes, the players, as though they had frontal lobes.
2. Inviting them to your house and trusting them not to urinate in the toaster.
3. Prostituting your thespian capacity for free pizza and liquid proteins.
4. PURCHASING ALL THE SUPPLEMENTS WE CAN GOUGE YOU FOR.

NOT TO MENTION creating new player characters for all the bozos who creak down and moan about having to pick from the pre-gens. (Page 61 of 144, probably)

If you can get a copy of it, do it. It's a very funny read.

Back