Glorantha and RuneQuest Companion Previews

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The latest previews of Glorantha and the RuneQuest Companion have just been posted on our web site;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=39

Hi Matt,

The Glorantha book is looking excellent - some very interesting stuff there & I'm definitely queuing up to buy asap!

Noticed one misprint: p92 Tastolar on the map (correct) is written as Tastalor (incorrect) in the text.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Sarah

It is good to see the rules for different kinds of boats and ships to return. Now to convince players to buy one and then sink it... :evil:

It's nice to be excited about an impending RPG again! Thanks!

Love the stuff detailing ships...say what you will about "having" to buy the Companion for a complete game, I don't recall reading anything other than ship prices in any of the core books for D&D! Fifty pages regarding holes in the ground, sure, but not ships...

Thanks!! The latest Glorantha preview has clinched it for me. It looks brilliant (apart from the pic of the Godlearner office block). The place descriptions are brimming with scenario ideas.

The Gloranthan stuff looks great. It seems to give a good world overview but with enough detail that each area or culture has its own flavor. In the latest preview each city is given its' own character and potential in just a few sentences. The Glorantha book that came in the RQ3 Deluxe or GM pack was basically a waste of paper - too broad to be of any real use to a GM.

As a 20+ year part time inhabitant of the Third age I really feel the new material is dead on from what I've seen. Glorantha was special because it had so much character. Nothing ever felt 'generic' (or Tolkenesque). From the previews the source material seems to capture the essence of the world and make it all very accessible (which was NOT always a strong point of some older material).

Honestly I had some reservations after the core previews - time will tell how they play out. The Source stuff has me sold.

Did I see the same previews as everyone else?

In the MQ Comanion, I saw some pretty blah boat rules and temple description (complete with items to loot).

And the snippets from the 2A book looked like a re-hash of Crucible (set in the 2A).

Now now, folks, let's play nice. Remember, there are potential players of MRQ coming here from all over the spectrum -- some that are old-time RQ fanatics, some new to the entire concept, some old-time jaded gamers and some daisy-fresh neophytes. Everyones going to see the value of the new game differently, based on what they were expecting and what they've dealt with in the past.

SteveMND said:
Now now, folks, let's play nice. Remember, there are potential players of MRQ coming here from all over the spectrum -- some that are old-time RQ fanatics, some new to the entire concept, some old-time jaded gamers and some daisy-fresh neophytes. Everyones going to see the value of the new game differently, based on what they were expecting and what they've dealt with in the past.

Hear hear. I'm seeing those rulebook previews and thinking "RuneQuest toolkit-hell yes!" 8)

And the snippets from the 2A book looked like a re-hash of Crucible (set in the 2A).

Do you mean 'Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars'? If so, that is definitely a 3rd Age sourcebook, not Second Age! The reason use old-timers are getting excited about the MRQ Glorantha sourcebook is that (with the exception of the Rough Guide to Pavis fan pub), this is the first full sourcebook dedicated to the Second Age.

Agreed that the companion previews look pretty bland - however, I'm expecting that to contain 'rules that should have been in the core rulebook if the core rulebook had been bigger', so nothing too exciting there!

I must admit I'm getting a bit concerned about the total price of all this stuff, however (I know this is a different thread...). Unless I see some excellent material, I think I'll be stopping with the core rules & Glorantha books, at least until I see how things pan out. $200 is just way too much to shell out on a prospective ruleset. Unfortunately I'd have to buy the Core Rules, Companion, Glorantha, Monsters, Cults, and Legendary Heroes just to be able to play my current campaign with the new rules...

Cheers all,

Sarah

sarahnewton said:

Do you mean 'Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars'? If so, that is definitely a 3rd Age sourcebook, not Second Age! The reason use old-timers are getting excited about the MRQ Glorantha sourcebook is that (with the exception of the Rough Guide to Pavis fan pub), this is the first full sourcebook dedicated to the Second Age.

Agreed that the companion previews look pretty bland - however, I'm expecting that to contain 'rules that should have been in the core rulebook if the core rulebook had been bigger', so nothing too exciting there!

I must admit I'm getting a bit concerned about the total price of all this stuff, however (I know this is a different thread...). Unless I see some excellent material, I think I'll be stopping with the core rules & Glorantha books, at least until I see how things pan out. $200 is just way too much to shell out on a prospective ruleset. Unfortunately I'd have to buy the Core Rules, Companion, Glorantha, Monsters, Cults, and Legendary Heroes just to be able to play my current campaign with the new rules...

Cheers all,

Sarah

IMO 200$ are not too much to shell out for so many books. These books are at least 800p. Additionally they comprises Glorantha material never seen before.
You can play for months or even years with the new material. In fact roleplaying is a very cheap hobby. The last pair of ski I bought 2 years before cost 400$ and I used them in about 5-6 times up to now! This I would call "costing way too much". :)

Enpeze said:
IMO 200$ are not too much to shell out for so many books. These books are at least 800p. Additionally they comprises Glorantha material never seen before.
You can play for months or even years with the new material. In fact roleplaying is a very cheap hobby. The last pair of ski I bought 2 years before cost 400$ and I used them in about 5-6 times up to now! This I would call "costing way too much". :)

I think you are missing the point. $200 may not be too much for you to shell out, but you are already sold on the product line. For the causal gamer who is browsingf at the local store it is an entirely differenert situation. He will pick up on the the books, proably the core rules or a settings book, and base his decision on what he sees in that book, along with whatever memories he had of RuneQuest (if any).

That is wht the "completemess" of the core book is so important. If the buyer doesn't see what he is looking for in the core book, he isn't going to buy several supplements until he does. This is alomso why the majority of RPGs either sell a complete core rulebook, or a PLayer's Book and GM's book.

No one iin the US spends $200 on an unknown RPG system.

Using your skiing analogy-You probably didn't go out an buy new skis, jacket and equipment, put a sjki rack on the roof of your car, and buy a season pass the first time you tried skiing.

$200 is too much of an entry price, and much more expense thatn any opther RPG.

SteveMND said:

Steve,

No hasn't been nice. Just because mot everyone is fawning over the previews and saying that they are fantastic doesn't mean they are not being nice. If people are limited to praise, it makes the who idea of a furm to discuss things rather pointless.

Is the 2A book going to be the first full-color Glorantha publication? I can't recall any others.

I can't say I've been overly impressed with what little art we've seen, although the Rathi Shaman looks okay.

I'd be willing to bet that you can run a pretty complete game with just the RQ corebook, Companion, and Glorantha book. The other books are just gravy, IMHO.

Hyrum.

atgxtg said:
Enpeze said:

I think you are missing the point. $200 may not be too much for you to shell out, but you are already sold on the product line. For the causal gamer who is browsingf at the local store it is an entirely differenert situation. He will pick up on the the books, proably the core rules or a settings book, and base his decision on what he sees in that book, along with whatever memories he had of RuneQuest (if any).

That is wht the "completemess" of the core book is so important. If the buyer doesn't see what he is looking for in the core book, he isn't going to buy several supplements until he does. This is alomso why the majority of RPGs either sell a complete core rulebook, or a PLayer's Book and GM's book.

It doesnt seem to me that Sarahnewton is a "casual gamer". thats why 200$ should not be too much for her. If the "casual gamer" looks for a core book he can buy it for 25$ and play the game. In this book everything he needs is included. combat, creatures, magic. Enough for having much fun. If the casual gamer then becomes more interested in the system he can buy the companion with more of everything.

In one point you are right. This is that it seems to me more practiable to produce a players book and a GMs book. Dont know why this not standard. Maybe because of financial reasons.

And if you are a student or you without work you can download a pdf version of MRQ. So you have everything for everybody. For the hardcore player 800p for 200$, for the casual gamer 120p for 25$ and for the poor guy maybe 50p for free. I dont see any problem in this policy. En contraire. Its perfect.

Back