Give Traveller Stuff to a none Traveller Race

JMISBEST

Mongoose
I've been thinking that just for a laugh we should take the rules for Character Generation in Traveller and apply it to our favorite Alien Race from their least favorite Sci-Fii setting. Here's me with Star-Trexs Klingons

The Klingons roll their stats as normal but for Str and End treat A 8 or less as A 9, for Dex and Social Scale treat A 6 or less as A 7 and for Int and Edu treat A 4 or less as A 5

For Homeworld Skills they choose a number of Skills equal to 3 + or -Edu DM and they choose those 1 to 5 Skills from Athletics -Weight-Lifting, Gun Combat -Energy Pistols and Energy Rifles, Leadership, Melee -Blade and Unarmed, Pilot -Small Craft and Tactics -Armed Forces and Naval

Aging wise they can reroll the result in Terms 4 to 7 but even if the 2nd roll is worse they/their player, still has to accept the result of the 2nd dice

Character generation would be great implemented as a deck of cards. Keep drawing and follow instructions until you have a character. I once spent an hour or so thinking about how to do it and gave up. Maybe some day I will return to it, but random generation is difficult to sell.

Moppy said:
Maybe some day I will return to it, but random generation is difficult to sell.

I get out pre-gens for new players to pick from when showing the game mechanics during a one-shot. Players tend to ask me later about making a character of their own for a next game. At that point, they are excited about making their own Mongoose character. Whether it being random or point-buy chargen.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Moppy said:
Maybe some day I will return to it, but random generation is difficult to sell.

I get out pre-gens for new players to pick from when showing the game mechanics during a one-shot. Players tend to ask me later about making a character of their own for a next game. At that point, they are excited about making their own Mongoose character. Whether it being random or point-buy chargen.

In our group people,will just die “on accident” to reroll a low stats character whenever there is a lull in the adventure.

https://imgur.com/MUaWWu2

I’m not saying our way is the right way, because it is different for each group, but there were enough of us to make D&D try a lot of different systems to reduce randomness.

In some ways it is good that Traveller keeps the mechanism of rolling stats alive. It would be a shame to see it disappear compeletey.

I still like the lifepath system with its randomness, But the various character creation options in the Companion are excellent.

Back