Giant King Inspirations

Zul Daire

Mongoose
A little over a year ago on these boards someone recommended some reading to me for some Giant King inspiration.

It's called From the Ashes of Angels, The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race by Andrew Collins.

The book speaks of texts that were omitted from the Canonized bible (Enoch in particular) telling of fallen angels of god who mated with mortal women to produce giants. These "Watchers" (Fallen Angels) also teach to man certain sciences that God would have rather man not be burdened with.:evil:

It also looks at these "Giants and pre-winged Angels" in many ways suggesting that these stories were dirived from older middle eastern mythos which is possibly based on an actual advanced race that predates our own.

The book talks of a few of the prophets of the old testament as described as having qualities similiar to that of the Angels; tall, glowing eyes, and other angelic types with shining skin, aquiline or serpentine-like though human features, and shamanistic or sorcerous talents.

Sound familiar? In a post way back someone mentioned that REH based the Giant Kings after the eastern divine beings called Asuhra's (misspell?)who would later become a templete for the angels of biblical texts.

Now weather you beleive this kind of stuff or not is not the point but rather I found it an awesome inspiration for GM's wishing to weave plots of remenents of ancient Acheron and/ or Elder Stygia into their games.

The book may get dry for some as it also examines various zealous cults throughout history whose texts and rituals might give creedence to this theory of an actual advanced race that predates our own that came down from the mountains to the plains of Mesopotamia to teach the barbarians to read, write, farm, craft, architecture, heal etc... but I enjoy this type of reading so its cool. 8)

I laughed outloud when the author talks of being in middle eastern country ( I forget which) and on his way to a supposed vast underground ruin (shelter form a great flood?) that appears to have construced for those bigger than man size. The author actually says the landscape on the way there reminds him of the film "Conan the Barbarian".

Keep in mind this book has nothing to do with REH writings on Giant Kings and was purely coincidental though it kind of seemed a sign.

At any rate it was an interesting read if your into speculative histories/ civilizations, refrences to religious texts or divine beings such as angels and thier possible origins in Atlantis but also a great read if your looking for Giant King source material.

I remember hearing that there was a write up and game statistics for Acheronians in one of the S&P mags. Was this true, was it a feat, any chance I can get a copy some where :?: Help :!:

Any one else read this book? It was easy to find at my local B&N.

Zul Daire said:
A little over a year ago on these boards someone recommended some reading to me for some Giant King inspiration.

It's called From the Ashes of Angels, The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race by Andrew Collins.

Any one else read this book? It was easy to find at my local B&N.

I bought the book (from Amazon, I think) based on the recommendation in this forum. Actually just started reading it a couple of weeks ago, and it's a good read whether you believe in this stuff or not. As you said, there is great gaming material in there (and I'm not even halfway through it yet :) ).

(As an aside, I've noticed several places where the author kind of jumps to conclusions based on pretty thin evidence, especially when he is trying to relate two "seemingly" different things. I might come back with some examples if anyone is interested. I found this pretty annoying, but it does not matter when you're reading this book (as I do) for gaming inspiration. )

Zul Daire said:
I remember hearing that there was a write up and game statistics for Acheronians in one of the S&P mags. Was this true, was it a feat, any chance I can get a copy some where

Send me a private message with your email address and I can send you a copy of the PDF. I assume this is OK since Mongoose gave it away for free as part of the Sons of Cimmeria program.

- thulsa

Have you read Dale Rippke's The Hyborian Heresies? It has a chapter in the end that discusses this connection, and it references the book you mentioned by Andrew Collins.

I haven't read anything deeper about this stuff, but maybe I should; it sounds like a pretty cool connection.

Trodax said:
Have you read Dale Rippke's The Hyborian Heresies? It has a chapter in the end that discusses this connection, and it references the book you mentioned by Andrew Collins.

I haven't read anything deeper about this stuff, but maybe I should; it sounds like a pretty cool connection.

I have been thinking about buying THE HYBORIAN HERESIES. Is it that good? On a scale of 1 through 10 (10 being the best), how would you rate it?

Also, the name Enoch sounds familiar because I had encountered some bizarre, imaginative writing called Enochian script, or Enochian Alphabet, that may have had some connections to arcane, masonic texts, or alchemy, or suchlike. I'll look around to see if I can come up with a link.
It may be interesting to include on Hyborian artifacts that PCs might encounter...

Yogah of Yag said:
I have been thinking about buying THE HYBORIAN HERESIES. Is it that good?
Yeah, its good alright. Parts of the book are available freely here and here. Actually, thats almost half of the book, but the other half makes it worth buying. Every Howard scholar should have a copy!

Yogah of Yag said:
Trodax said:

I have been thinking about buying THE HYBORIAN HERESIES. Is it that good? On a scale of 1 through 10 (10 being the best), how would you rate it?

Also, the name Enoch sounds familiar because I had encountered some bizarre, imaginative writing called Enochian script, or Enochian Alphabet, that may have had some connections to arcane, masonic texts, or alchemy, or suchlike. I'll look around to see if I can come up with a link.
It may be interesting to include on Hyborian artifacts that PCs might encounter...
Enoch is mentioned in the apocryph texts of the bible (texts which were discarded by the greek patriarch when they translated it).
In these biblic texts, there is an explanation of the war of heaven and the fallen angels because they taught secrets to mankind against God's will (making of weapons and war waging, make-up for women, probably alcohol, etc.). These spirits seduced human women who wore children. These were evil giants with great power and were called Nephilim. They created abominations (probably these hybrid creatures with several different animal and/or human parts like griffins, chimera, harpies, etc. that we encounter in mythology and their descriptions match that of the beast of the apocalypse in the Book of John).
When the 4 archangels told God of this, most of the Nephilim and their creations were eradicated.

You can find the "book of Enoch" for free as pdf file if you browse the internet. These texts explain indeed much of the ancient mythology of Greece, Mesopotamia and the Bible (and it is very probable that the antichrist of the bible is a nephilim as it's the son of a fallen angel).

Yogah of Yag said:
Trodax said:
Also, the name Enoch sounds familiar because I had encountered some bizarre, imaginative writing called Enochian script, or Enochian Alphabet, that may have had some connections to arcane, masonic texts, or alchemy, or suchlike. .

Well I Know that the Book of Enoch was one of the texts that the RC Church thought was not a good fit into the Canonized bible. Perhaps it was too weird? Maybe the church fathers did not want the populace to think that the sciences were given by divine beings rather than through mans own ingenuity.

Or perhaps they did not want such a widespread fall from grace to make the final print?

At any rate I believe Enoch was the great grandfather of Moses and he was the only individual to ascend to heaven while still alive (the most righteous man they say), gets to take a tour and see things man is not meant to see, meets god, gets his head annointed with oil, becaomes a diven being himslef and is renamed Metatron.

Back