Game Master's Screen II compared to old screen

Kravell

Mongoose
I have both screens in front of me. Exact same size and sturdiness.

Artwise, screen 1 has RQ and GM Screen on the front, top and bottom, with a monster in between. Screen II has the logs top and bottom and a gray rune on white in between.

Screen 1 has one art scene across four panels. The back panel has logo info on the bottom. Very high magic, high fantasy.

Screen II has a middle two panels of dark color (maybe rocks) with a dragon claw gripping the edge of one panel. The dragon takes the last panel and looks great--dark, gritty, and dangerous. No logo on the dragon at all, which is a nice plus despite the dark panels.

The art on screen 1 is more action-packed, detailed, and colorful but is marred by logos. Screen II is dark and gloomy with only good art on one and a quarter panels (I do like the dragon) but only one panel with logos.

The inside of screen 1 is yellow and gray with light art as background. Screen II is withe with black letters. I find screen 1 prettier and screen II much easier to read.

Screen 1 has 23 tables (if you count all skill lists as one table). Screen II has 11. I would argue that screen 1 has a two useless tables: combat actions and hit points. Screen II has only combat actions as not really being needed. I'd think every Adventurer, monster, and NPC would have these figured already.

Both screens have weapons and armor charts listed. Screen II does not have other damages (suffocate, fire, or fall). It does not have movement, illumination, or lodging. Screen II only has combat tables and the sorcery manipulation table.

Screen II weapons have about twice as many columns as those in screen 1, eating quite a bit of space.

I like screen II even though it does have less info on other things and more on weapons. I like the dragon but the one panel of all rocks is too much dark paint to really be art in my opinion.

Worth $14.99 American? Well, the cost only went up 5 cents in four years so I'd say it's a fair price. I think the sorcery table and situational modifiers will be useful. And despite the dark rocks, I like the dark art more than the high fantasy, high magic. Screen 1 would look much better in front of Glorantha notes, screen II would look great in front of Elric, Deus Vult, and Wraith Recon (or the world of Kruvil in my case).

I know I'll be hated for saying it but ...

If the screen had a plastic folder on each of the GM panels it would be perfect, (the idea being you can customise it to your needs, not just for the general game but maybe for a specific scenario).

I am tempted to glue in my own plastic wallets but I want to do it so the information at the back shows through and it needs to be perfectly done, no bubbles etc.

Back