Fun session yesterday - Kudos to Mongoose.

Melkor

Mongoose
After all of the grief I have given Mongoose over the issues with one/two roll combat, and the Player's Guide PDF feeling like a quick fix instead of addressing a bigger problem, I fealt it was only right to post up about the session my group played yesterday.

We had a blast. Combat was fun and deadly, and we didn't run into any major issues. The characters ended up fighting a Broo raiding party, and the action/reaction system worked very well. One player has played RQ2 and RQ3 quite a bit, the other was brand new to Runequest. Both really enjoyed the flow of combat.

All of that said, we played using the two-roll combat system as presented in the rulebook, and having done so, I am more convinced than ever that two rolls was the way the game (as written) was meant to be played.

So....kudos to Mongoose for releasing MRQ. Even though I really want to see errata and clarification, the game is a lot of fun, and I think that a bit of attention to some of the rules issues mentioned here on the forums will make it one of my favorite RPGs.

Glad to hear it went so well!

Out of curiosity did you use any other house rules (Armor penalties, etc)or just the 2-Roll system?

Rurik said:
Glad to hear it went so well!

Out of curiosity did you use any other house rules (Armor penalties, etc)or just the 2-Roll system?

We used everything as presented in the book, so: Two Rolls, Armor Penalties as listed, etc. The characters couldn't afford any really heavy armor, so the Armor Penalties were minor. No opposed rolls over 100% came up.

Although there are definitely some areas of the rules (which other folks have mentioned here on the forums) that I could see being problematic - we did not encounter anything like that.

Although the 'Overextended' results didn't occur (the character's were parrying a lot more than dodging), the straight 'Riposte' came up more than once, so I really was glad we were using the two-roll system. It worked like a charm.

Sounds great!

Did everyone have 3 combat actions, or was it a mix of 2 and 3? If the latter, were those players with 2 ok with that, or did they find having only 2 was a real drawback?

G

Glad you had fun! It bodes well for the game I am organizing.

Of course a lot of the problems that have been pointed out only become an issue at higher levels, so I am not surprised you didn't run into them.

What I would really like to hear is how a veteran and hero-level game worked out.

gamesmeister said:
Sounds great!

Did everyone have 3 combat actions, or was it a mix of 2 and 3? If the latter, were those players with 2 ok with that, or did they find having only 2 was a real drawback?

G

No, the characters and the Broo all had two combat actions, but some of the damage results led to lost actions...and that ended up being pretty brutal for the victims.

Melkor said:
gamesmeister said:
Sounds great!

G

No, the characters and the Broo all had two combat actions, but some of the damage results led to lost actions...and that ended up being pretty brutal for the victims.

Two seems pretty low for all characters, considering you only need a DEX of 13 for three - was that a conscious decision on your part or is that just the way their stats worked out?

Back