Free Giant Hyboria Map!!!

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
A cartographer Conan fan made this free awesome map of Hyboria:
http://chrysagon.free.fr/conan/Chrysagon_Hyboria_Complete.jpg
 

rook111

Mongoose
Nice looking map, but he put Akbitana in Corinthia. This is about the third mab which I have seen which does this aside from Mongoose's original version.

How sure are we that Akbitana is in Shem and not Corinthia?

The only Story I can recall where it is mentioned is Black Colossus, and it dosn't actually say what country the city is in.

Hey Vincent Darlege, if your hanging around enlighten us as to why there is so much confusion about this city.
 

Johannixx

Mongoose
Akbitanan steel is also mentioned in "Jewels of Gwahlur" as well. Conan's dagger is supposedly crafted of "unbreakable Akbitanan steel."
 

rook111

Mongoose
Johannixx said:
Akbitanan steel is also mentioned in "Jewels of Gwahlur" as well. Conan's dagger is supposedly crafted of "unbreakable Akbitanan steel."

I forgot about that one and I had just finished rereading that story a few days ago.

Man, turn 40 and the memory really starts to go.... :?
 
rook111 said:
Hey Vincent Darlege, if your hanging around enlighten us as to why there is so much confusion about this city.

I have no idea why there is such confusion. Considering the line, "I sleep in the palace chamber of Akbatana" spoken by Natohk the Veiled One, who attacked out of Shem (Black Colossus, by REH), I think it is a reasonable conclusion that Akbatana is in Shem, not in Corinthia.

He's got many, many errors on that map, actually.

1) The river between Nemedia and Brythunia is the Yellow River.
2) The Westermarck does not lie between the Thunder and Black Rivers. It lies between the Thunder and an unnamed Bossonian river.
3) The Shemite shoreline is too short.
4) He spelled Fort Ghori as Fort Gmori.
5) He doesn't include Amazon or Atlaia in the Black Kingdoms
6) Paikang is too far north. It is supposed to be jungled, but he has it on the level of tundra if you look across to Nordheim.
7) Meru is too large.
8) Larsha is not that far away from Shadizar.

I could go on, but it is late.

Hold your horses for The Road of Kings. It will be here soon with maps that lay waste to every other map I have ever seen of Conan's world!
 

Lane Shutt

Mongoose
Oddly enough the Gazeteer section (p272) describes Akbitana as being "just to the southwest of Khoraja" in the section on Shem.
 

Yokiboy

Mongoose
VincentDarlage said:
Hold your horses for The Road of Kings. It will be here soon with maps that lay waste to every other map I have ever seen of Conan's world!

Man, I want the book now! That was all the hype I needed Vincent, it doesn't take much... :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy
 

rook111

Mongoose
VincentDarlage said:
I have no idea why there is such confusion. Considering the line, "I sleep in the palace chamber of Akbatana" spoken by Natohk the Veiled One, who attacked out of Shem (Black Colossus, by REH), I think it is a reasonable conclusion that Akbatana is in Shem, not in Corinthia.

(Edited for brevity)

I could go on, but it is late.

Hold your horses for The Road of Kings. It will be here soon with maps that lay waste to every other map I have ever seen of Conan's world!

Again you astound me with your knowledge, I salute you. Even if it is too early in the morning.

I Eagerly awaiting "The Road of Kings".
 

Jason Durall

Mongoose
I wish the artist hadn't used black ink in the middle of speckled black backgrounds - the titles of cities and countries are near-illegible. I've printed a few versions at high resolution, and it fails miserably as a reference.

Also, Xuthal (spelled Xuthol on his map) is in the middle of a desert, not in a huge greensward as depicted there. To be fair, though, Mongoose got this one wrong also.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
rook111 said:
VincentDarlage said:
I have no idea why there is such confusion. Considering the line, "I sleep in the palace chamber of Akbatana" spoken by Natohk the Veiled One, who attacked out of Shem (Black Colossus, by REH), I think it is a reasonable conclusion that Akbatana is in Shem, not in Corinthia.

(Edited for brevity)

I could go on, but it is late.

Hold your horses for The Road of Kings. It will be here soon with maps that lay waste to every other map I have ever seen of Conan's world!

Again you astound me with your knowledge, I salute you. Even if it is too early in the morning.

I Eagerly awaiting "The Road of Kings".

I want this book now. If this guy (Vincent) says the maps are the best he's ever seen (judging from the astounding level of knowledge he seems to have)...I'm thinking it's gonna be something special.

Ark
 

El Cid

Mongoose
I have not read Howard's books but was wondering about the Great Wall.

It seems to sit in the middle of no where.

Anyone have any info on the Great Wall?

Sidney
 
There is virtually nothing known about the Great Wall. It was created by pastiche author Björn Nyberg in his Return of Conan novel (published in the Ace paperback, Conan the Avenger).

Obviously he based it on the Great Wall of China, so possibly it was built to keep out the Hyrkanian hordes. As to why it doesn't go anywhere, well, to be honest, a lot of Björn Nyberg's geography didn't make any sense. Equally unfortunate, most of the existing maps make great use of his screwy geography when mapping the east.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hello all !
I've never imagined my work would unleash such a discussion ! And I am pleased to see this. I will correct the map as soon as possible according to all your comments ! If you have other statements please feel free to tell me. This work is intended as a free stuff for fans, I would be glad to see some of them contribute. I absolutely don't want to say "hey this is THE map!" Let's just say it is one interpretation as many other... (I'll see also for the typing colour).
Thanks to all so far.
Chrysagon
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hello again,
I made a few changes according to the previous comments you all made. Please tell me if you think it is better. :wink:
Chrysagon

http://chrysagon.free.fr/conan/Chrysagon_Hyboria_Complete.jpg
 
1) The Westermarck is still in the wrong place. Velitrium is okay, but the rest of them need to be moved to the other side of the Thunder River.

........1a. '… their huts had risen where now stood the fields and log cabins of fair –haired settlers, back beyond Velitrium, that raw, turbulent frontier town on the banks of the Thunder River, to the shores of that other river that bounds the Bossonian Marches.' (Beyond the Black River, REH.)

........1b. 'The frontier has been pushed back. Thunder River will be the new border.' (Beyond the Black River, REH)

........1c. My name is Gault Hagar's son. I was born in the province of Conajohara. But when I was ten years of age, the Picts broke over Black River and stormed Fort Tuscelan and slew all within save one man, and drove all the settlers of the province east of Thunder River.' (Wolves Beyond the Border, REH)

2) Ben Morgh, according to Conan the Valorous, is in the northeast, not in the centre of Cimmeria.

3) Paikang is still too far north.

4) The Shemite coast is still too short compared to Howard's maps published in The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (esp. the second map in that volume).

5) Khauran is not mountainous. Please re-read "A Witch Shall Be Born". There are no mountains in Khauran. It is plains, until it comes to a river, then it melts into the deserts. There is no mountain range there. The relevant chapter is where Conan is hanging on the cross looking around. He doesn't see any mountains.

6) Although you added Akbitana to Shem, you still have "Akbatanan" where another city (from Conan the Barbarian 157) goes in Corinthia. The Road of Kings, however, does not pass through there. It passes through yet another city (from Savage Sword 221 and 228), which is a bit to the north of where you have "Akbatanan".
 
Top